Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody!

My name is Vanessa and I'm currently doing my a-levels. For one of these, I'm doing English Literature - AQA A spec (Love Through The Ages).

For this spec, I'm studying 'Othello' by William Shakespeare. I am really enjoying this play but would really like to increase my knowledge by discussing it further. Therefore, I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in creating a discussion group for it. Or if not a group, we could discuss it together.

Please let me know if anyone's interested.

V x

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing Othello in my IB English lang/lit. I have some solid understanding of it and wrote my written task on one of its themes, got a 23/25 on it, but I'd also like to expand some ideas because we have Individual Oral Commentary in 2 weeks on some Othello scenes.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply!

I'm glad you're interested, will see if anyone else replies but if not I will message you and we can talk about it together - if that's good for you?

Love, V x

ReputationRep:
    chuck a psychoanalytic and new historicist reading in and you're sorted

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same course as you
    I hate othello, it annoys me so much. Am I the only one who struggles with the language? I've done Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and much ado about nothing before and I didn't have trouble understanding it at all, but othello confuses me so much.
    Purely out of curiosity, what other books are you doing? I'm doing Jane Eyre and the great Gatsby.

ReputationRep:
    Just a suggestion....there are a lot of movies on the play Othello .....adaptations of the story......watching those can help one understand the play and characters from multiple angles and different critical perspectives.

ReputationRep:
    there is a lot of scope for psychoanalytical, reader response, historical critical theories
    race and gender can be taken to deal with cultural studies

ReputationRep:
    These are just my favourite things about the play that I'd like to discuss if anyone has any add ons or counter arguments

I'm doing it on edexcel so not sure if you would use the same info as me, but I've been looking into its links to religion, eg links to medieval morality plays as you have to keep making references to performance aspects.

Another interesting thing I like to look at is the similarities between Iago and othello, how they're not all that different; this could be seen as a comment on anything from race (Iago is also an outsider) to human nature (not being able to resist evil).

I like thinking of the women as important 'heroine' characters, and also as merely a dramatic cipher used by the playwright. Also
    Questions the playwrights intentions for what he wanted to portray about women.

I personally thing that looking into metatheatre creates a really nice point, wherein the characters on stage become the playwright/stage manager- fits Iago as he often tells people when to come and leave the stage, or do things physically and mentally, notably when he makes othello physically kneel before him.

I also love to look at things along the lines of stereotypes/archetypes of women, look into desdemona and emilia in d's last scene with her alive; d has changed from a fairly outspoken woman to a passive one, accepting her death, whilst emilia has a beautiful feminist sounding speech, which D ignores. Also look into 7 sins- all 7 are represented constantly throughout the play (pure evil). Gluttony/lust very important- look at the way Emilia often uses food or eating imagery as a motif to describe women's sexuality in the eyes of men.

My fave critical reading is (v obvious one sorry lol) 'the motive hunting of motiveless malignity'- Coleridge.
    Also recommend looking into new historicist, Marxist, and especially post colonial theory.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.