Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Your advice needed for tough decision watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Really a tough decision to be made in front of me now! Hope pals here could offer me some suggestions!

I'm a foreign postgraduate and have been admitted to several universities. Probably, I would opt between LSE and Birmingham U.

LSE - MSc in Comparative Politics
    Bham - MA in International Studies, spec. in Diplomacy

I've considerbaly broad sphere of interest but majorly in international relations. However, LSE ofered me a second priority. I don't know how essential is the reputation of the U but basically I wish to pursue in academic. I believe that it depends much on oneself to be a postgraduate student, though the support from the institution would also affect the study.

Moreover, the tuition fees (incl. accommodation) is far more expensive at LSE and also the living expenses in London than those of Birmingham. Money definitely matters and does it worthwhile to "invest" in LSE while I don't know how they differ with each other. (For your info: LSE costs 11422 for the course and around 110 pppw for hall; Bham - 7980 and ~80 pppw)

Time is running out here and hope there would be a keen sharing!

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you intend to work, but Birmingham isn't known by all nor does it have international reputation as London does, as a city and a university.

But choosing your favourite course, were it will lead you and the costs are most important.

ReputationRep:
    LSE if you can afford it, it is worth the investment if you can.

ReputationRep:
    LSE, it might be worth taking an extra year out to save more money if you cant afford LSE??? Definetly the best option, however birmginham is a good uni but not in the same league as LSE imo.

ReputationRep:
    LSE because everyone else is saying it. I don't have a clue about universities. I'm only going into year 11.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you all!
    So are there any postgrad or research students who can provide a closer look?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.