Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Paying to get a professional CV made - Yes or No? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I came across this website called CV Know How and uploaded my CV and within a few days I received an email that reviewed my CV which was quite good. So I improved my CV and got them to review it again but they refused since it's only a one off free option and after that you pay. They want nearly £100 for a professional CV and I'm quite considering it because I've improved my CV countless times and applied for 150 jobs in the last 6 months and not yet landed myself an interview, let alone a job. I've also been my local university careers service who were useless. So I have no option left but to pay to get a decent CV with the hope of getting a job. However I'm unsure whether this is the right choice as £100 is too much and also sounds stupid to pay for a CV. Would you pay someone to get a professional CV made up and increase your changes of getting a job bearing in mind you're frustrated for the last 6 months with no luck or any help?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)
    So I came across this website called CV Know How and uploaded my CV and within a few days I received an email that reviewed my CV which was quite good. So I improved my CV and got them to review it again but they refused since it's only a one off free option and after that you pay. They want nearly £100 for a professional CV and I'm quite considering it because I've improved my CV countless times and applied for 150 jobs in the last 6 months and not yet landed myself an interview, let alone a job. I've also been my local university careers service who were useless. So I have no option left but to pay to get a decent CV with the hope of getting a job. However I'm unsure whether this is the right choice as £100 is too much and also sounds stupid to pay for a CV. Would you pay someone to get a professional CV made up and increase your changes of getting a job bearing in mind you're frustrated for the last 6 months with no luck or any help?
    There's nothing they can do to make a better CV than you can do. The quality of a CV lies in its content and only you know what you have done in your life. All they will do is put it in a pretty format which will make you feel good about it but will immediately alert employers to a potentially weak CV hiding behind some superficial make up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi H4MZA - I completely agree with threeportdrift. You know your experience and skillset so another person is unlikely to be able to improve your CV. I paid for my CV to be done once many years ago now, and my experience of it was terrible. That's not to say that all companies who do this are terrible, but it's hard to know who will be good or not, and the money back guarantee that I had wasn't worth the paper it was written on, needless to say I didn't get my money back.

All that said writing a CV is a skill in itself and does take some time and effort, but when you follow a formula, it can be really easy. If you are interested, I've actually just written a blog post about how to create a graduate CV here: https://www.digitalmarketing4grads.c...ighter-system/

It's primarily for people who want to get into Digital Marketing, but the principles of the technique will work for most industries. I hope it's a little helpful for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)
    Could it be other aspects of your application that aren't getting you the interview? Like the cover letter for example. I agree that its not worth paying to have your CV re done.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for support, I've just landed myself my first job at B&Q so least I can use this as experience for future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    There's nothing they can do to make a better CV than you can do. The quality of a CV lies in its content and only you know what you have done in your life. All they will do is put it in a pretty format which will make you feel good about it but will immediately alert employers to a potentially weak CV hiding behind some superficial make up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is clearly untrue, I think it's a completely BS business, but you can put good content on a CV in a bad way. Communication and persuasion are skills.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    This is clearly untrue, I think it's a completely BS business, but you can put good content on a CV in a bad way. Communication and persuasion are skills.
    Yes, but that's not what these companies do. What they offer is a 'jazzing up' service, where they add colour, fonts, columns, backgrounds, flashy bullet point markers etc. They may claim to focus on buzzwords and snappy profiles etc, but they are entirely focussed on satisfying their client the CV writer, not satisfying the potential employer.

You are entirely right that communication and persuasion are key, but that is about the content and satisfying the needs and wants of the employer, not the CV writer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)
    Please read this blog post, i think you will find it useful. And good luck with your new job....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a7400986.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.