The Student Room Group

A levels vs extended diploma

Hi, I am currently in year 11 about to apply for 6th form/college and I'm really struggling with what to decide. Before I start, I'm currently an average grammar school student who achieves higher in maths, English and media/ I'm studying media as a definite however it's the case of doing an extended diploma course or doing 3 a levels and an extended project. The course I'm looking at seems perfect for me and is my main option. I also do not want to be taking 2 irrelevant a levels which I will not use in the future and will not want to study. My main question is, are a levels much more acknowledged rather than an extended diploma and ultimately will doing an extended diploma hinder my university opportunities?
Thanks very much, a worried student :smile:
If you're dead set on any particular unis in the future, then there's a chance that they might be one of the few unis that outright dismiss BTEC students. However, for the vast majority of unis, you'll be fine with a BTEC Extended Diploma.

And yes, for Media especially, you might find that doing the one Extended Diploma in Media is more suited to you than doing 3 distinct A-levels, 2 of which you might not care about.

The main worry if you're a really ambitious student is that you won't be able to go to Cambridge with a BTEC(at least according to the policy on their website)
Reply 2
Original post by Jazzyboy
If you're dead set on any particular unis in the future, then there's a chance that they might be one of the few unis that outright dismiss BTEC students. However, for the vast majority of unis, you'll be fine with a BTEC Extended Diploma.

And yes, for Media especially, you might find that doing the one Extended Diploma in Media is more suited to you than doing 3 distinct A-levels, 2 of which you might not care about.

The main worry if you're a really ambitious student is that you won't be able to go to Cambridge with a BTEC(at least according to the policy on their website)

Thanks very much, There isn't much chance of me applying for oxbridge so that shouldn't be a problem! This has definitely helped me with my desicion making!
Original post by Jazzyboy

Cambridge do actually accept BTEC's. However, they expect at least to A Levels as well as it at grades A*A*

Quick Reply

Latest