Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I've applied to study history and politics at hull university and they've come back with an unconditional offer. My original plan was to go to leeds uni but now I'm thinking of putting hull as my firm choice. All my teachers are telling me to go for it but I've heard hull isn't that nice - can anyone offer an opinion? What is living in hull like?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I don't live in Hull but my boyfriend goes there for university. It was the only offer he got but he said he couldn't be happier. He also loves the uni!

I'm in hull all the time and honestly I wish I had accepted my offer last year as I don't like where I am now. I've applied for Hull and waiting on an offer an if I get one I'm firming it.

I absolutely love hull. It's a rough city but so what? It's environmentally friendly, city of culture, it's a cheap city and student life is amazing. There is ALWAYS something to do if you're bored! When I'm in Hull I'm just so much happier I really do hope I get a place hope this helps!

Don't base your decisions by what people tell you because that's their opinion. Go and see for yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely research the university more, see how it appeals to you. Don't let other people's thoughts of 'oh it's amazing!' or 'oh it's terrible!' persuade you too much. Remember everyone will have a different experience, for better or worse. If you prefer Leeds university - feel it has a better course, and whatever else then put that as your firm still. You can always put Hull as your back up choice incase you don't get into Leeds. Don't feel like you have to put Hull as your firm because they gave you an unconditional/because your teachers said so, if you feel you'd be happier and get more out of going to Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1204)
    Hi I don't live in Hull but my boyfriend goes there for university. It was the only offer he got but he said he couldn't be happier. He also loves the uni!

I'm in hull all the time and honestly I wish I had accepted my offer last year as I don't like where I am now. I've applied for Hull and waiting on an offer an if I get one I'm firming it.

I absolutely love hull. It's a rough city but so what? It's environmentally friendly, city of culture, it's a cheap city and student life is amazing. There is ALWAYS something to do if you're bored! When I'm in Hull I'm just so much happier I really do hope I get a place hope this helps!

Don't base your decisions by what people tell you because that's their opinion. Go and see for yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What exactly do you do in Hull? You say there's always something to do when you're bored, but I'm at uni here and seem to be always bored...

I usually stay in and chill with my housemates which is fine but i've vowed this year to go out and explore more. Any recommendations of stuff to do in Hull?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaCx)
    Definitely research the university more, see how it appeals to you. Don't let other people's thoughts of 'oh it's amazing!' or 'oh it's terrible!' persuade you too much. Remember everyone will have a different experience, for better or worse. If you prefer Leeds university - feel it has a better course, and whatever else then put that as your firm still. You can always put Hull as your back up choice incase you don't get into Leeds. Don't feel like you have to put Hull as your firm because they gave you an unconditional/because your teachers said so, if you feel you'd be happier and get more out of going to Leeds.

This is so true. I wouldn't trust anyone else's opinion- I would go and visit the uni yourself if possible. Most universities have days especially for offer holders/ unconditional offer holders. Go along to one of these, look at the course, try and speak to as many students as possible about social life ect and anything that you feel is important.

Regardless of your decision- well done on both offers!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilythomson1)
    Hey guys! I've applied to study history and politics at hull university and they've come back with an unconditional offer. My original plan was to go to leeds uni but now I'm thinking of putting hull as my firm choice. All my teachers are telling me to go for it but I've heard hull isn't that nice - can anyone offer an opinion? What is living in hull like?
    Leeds>Hull

ReputationRep:
    I've actually been at Leeds this year but I'm starting over at Hull- possibly doing history and politics (that or PPE) ! I can tell you Hull is a lovely place to live and the university is much friendlier than Leeds, as I've found. Leeds has better union / society events though. Hull will be cheaper for you to live in. Hull has very good reputation for politics and many people I know are now working in parliament who have studied there.

ReputationRep:
    Hull's not as bad as you might think it is. I think they're trying to rejuvinate the city what with Hull2017 going on so there are good bits and bad bits. The city centre's a hell of a lot better than around the uni but the uni campus is good. Decent facilities, great library, I think history's in Larkin and that's open 24/7 (I mean, at least for music students), as is the library... I think the city of Leeds is a little better - more variety, but I didn't even apply there so I'm not 100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    I am a fresher at Hull and I can honestly say so far it's been brilliant. The people are lovely and the bars and cafes around the city are really cheap, which makes going out really easy. There are rough areas in Hull but don't all cities have these?

I actually applied to Leeds last year but I didn't get in so I applied for Hull through clearing, best thing I ever did

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.