Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've made a little start on this chapter but have found myself stuck already!!

How do I do the last bit of this Example question after I have equated the coefficients?? I don't really understand how it goes from the 3rd from bottom line to the 2nd from bottom line of the workings

Name:  C4 Vectors Exa9.png
Views: 150
Size:  39.0 KB
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    So I've made a little start on this chapter but have found myself stuck already!!

How do I do the last bit of this Example question after I have equated the coefficients?? I don't really understand how it goes from the 3rd from bottom line to the 2nd from bottom line of the workings
    You equate coefficients in the same as as you'd equate coefficients of something like x^2+2x+1=Ax^2+Bx+C except here you are comparing the coefficients of the direction vectors \mathbf{a} and \mathbf{b}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    You equate coefficients in the same as as you'd equate coefficients of something like x^2+2x+1=Ax^2+Bx+C except here you are comparing the coefficients of the direction vectors \mathbf{a} and \mathbf{b}
    Yeah I think I understand the part where I compare coefficients but I dont really know the eliminating part which gives the 2nd from bottom line.

Is it simply a case of using simultaneous equations where...
     -\land = (k-1) times both sides by -1 to give...  \land = (1-k)

Sub this into...  (3k+1) = 4 \land
    which gives...  (3k+1) = 4(1-k)

then solve for k from there?

Sorry I'm not sure what the correct symbol is so I have used  \land instead
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I understand the part where I compare coefficients but I dont really know the eliminating part which gives the 2nd from bottom line.

Is it simply a case of using simultaneous equations where...
     -\land = (k-1) times both sides by -1 to give...  \land = (1-k)

Sub this into...  (3k+1) = 4 \land
    which gives...  (3k+1) = 4(1-k)

then solve for k from there?

Sorry I'm not sure what the correct symbol is so I have used  \land instead
    Yeah thats what is being done here. Also the symbol is lambda.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If  k-1=-\lambda then  4\lambda = -4(k-1) by just multiplying both sides by 4.
    Now we have also that  3k+1=4\lambda so you can substitute  4\lambda with  -4(k-1) which gives  3k+1=-4(k-1) .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what is being done here. Also the symbol is lambda.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!!

So in a way, lambda  \lambda is used to describe scalars that are parallel and proportional to each other, right?

(Original post by B_9710)
    If  k-1=-\lambda then  4\lambda = -4(k-1) by just multiplying both sides by 4.
    Now we have also that  3k+1=4\lambda so you can substitute  4\lambda with  -4(k-1) which gives  3k+1=-4(k-1) .
    Oh yeah. I didn't spot I could do it that way too! Thank you
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!

So in a way, lambda  \lambda is used to describe scalars that are parallel and proportional to each other, right?
    Lambda is just a scalar variable which scales vectors by changing their magnitudes. It doesnt make sense when you say "used to describe scalars that are parallel and proportional" because scalars have no direction so how can they be parallel...?

ReputationRep:
    Lambda is just a scalar variable which scales vectors by changing their magnitudes. It doesnt make sense when you say "used to describe scalars that are parallel and proportional" because scalars have no direction so how can they be parallel...?
    Yeah your explanation makes more sense than mine! Thank you!! I had trouble putting it into words but had a brief understanding.

So, lambda is a scalar variable which scales vectors by changing their magnitude. And the vectors have to be parallel too for them to have a related lambda? Sorry if I sound silly right now!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah your explanation makes more sense than mine! Thank you!! I had trouble putting it into words but had a brief understanding.

So, lambda is a scalar variable which scales vectors by changing their magnitude. And the vectors have to be parallel too for them to have a related lambda? Sorry if I sound silly right now!
    No, the scalar has nothing to do with dependency on two vectors being parallel or not, any vector can have its size changed by a vector regardless whether it is parallel to another vector or not. The only use for scalars here is that they change the magnitude, as previously mentioned, so you can use this to travel from some point A to some point B on whatever vector v by adding on \lambda \mathbf{v} onto the point A.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

\lambda isn't anything special - it just represents a scalar variable.

So if you have a vector \mathbf{a} then \lambda \mathbf{a} could be 2 \mathbf{a} or -3.1\boldsymbol{a} etc, depending on the value of \lambda.

You can use any letter really as long as you don't underline it so it represents a scalar. \lambda and \mu are quite common.

It is the case that a scalar \lambda multiplied by a vector \mathbf{a} will give you a new vector \lambda \mathbf{a}, which is parallel to \mathbf{a} but whose magnitude has changed by a factor of \lambda.

ReputationRep:
    No, the scalar has nothing to do with dependency on two vectors being parallel or not, any vector can have its size changed by a vector regardless whether it is parallel to another vector or not. The only use for scalars here is that they change the magnitude, as previously mentioned, so you can use this to travel from some point A to some point B on whatever vector v by adding on \lambda \mathbf{v} onto the point A.
    Ohhhh I see!! So lambda is literally a variable that just changes the magnitude of a vector. Thank yoooooou! Sorry for going round in circles a bit

(Original post by notnek)
    \lambda isn't anything special - it just represents a scalar variable.

So if you have a vector \mathbf{a} then \lambda \mathbf{a} could be 2 \mathbf{a} or -3.1\boldsymbol{a} etc, depending on the value of \lambda.

You can use any letter really as long as you don't underline it so it represents a scalar. \lambda and \mu are quite common.

It is the case that a scalar \lambda multiplied by a vector \mathbf{a} will give you a new vector \lambda \mathbf{a}, which is parallel to \mathbf{a} but whose magnitude has changed by a factor of \lambda.
    Wait so...  \lambda a will give a new vector that is parallel to the original vector  a ??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Wait so...  \lambda a will give a new vector that is parallel to the original vector  a ??
    Yes e.g. 2\mathbf{a} is parallel to \mathbf{a}:

ReputationRep:
    Yes e.g. 2\mathbf{a} is parallel to \mathbf{a}:

Thanks notnek that made it so much easier to visualise

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question of the day...
    What is a position vector?? Are these vectors that are from O the origin?

Name:  C4 Vectors Exa10.png
Views: 114
Size:  19.3 KB

Like with this example. why is OP the position vector of P?

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question of the day...
    What is a position vector?? Are these vectors that are from O the origin?

Name:  C4 Vectors Exa10.png
Views: 114
Size:  19.3 KB

Like with this example. why is OP the position vector of P?
    Not a stupid question, and yes.

The position vector of a point  P(x,y) is the vector from the origin  O to the point  P .

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain perpendicular and parallel vectors to me?...

Name:  Perpendicular and Parallel Vectors.png
Views: 98
Size:  28.6 KB

I've read this little section multiple times but I don't think I completely understand. Obviously I know that if there are two lines perpendicular to each other that there will be an angle of 90 degrees, but the rest of it I'm not so sure about
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

I've read this little section multiple times but I don't think I completely understand. Obviously I know that if there are two lines perpendicular to each other that there will be an angle of 90 degrees, but the rest of it I'm not so sure about
    Try writing out the dot product formula for parallel lines \theta = 0 and perpendicular lines \theta = 90.

Then use the fact that \cos (0) = 1 and \cos (90) = 0.

Please post your working if you're still unsure.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Firstly, are you happy about where and how we get \mathbf{a}\cdot \mathbf{b}=\lvert \mathbf{a}\lvert \lvert \mathbf{b} \lvert \cos(\theta) ?

Secondly, if two vectors are parallel then the angle between them is always 0 so plugging this into the equation gives you the shown relation.

Dunno but maybe watching this video can help since that relation is derived towards the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNuIhXo39_k

ReputationRep:
    Try writing out the dot product formula for parallel lines \theta = 0 and perpendicular lines \theta = 90.

Then use the fact that \cos (0) = 1 and \cos (90) = 0.

Please post your working if you're still unsure.
    Thank you notnek!! I understand perpendicular vectors a lot more now! But I'm still a bit "iffy" with parallel vectors.

So for parallel vectors there will be no angle between them so if  \theta = 0^\circa then  cos(0 ^\circ ) =1

because using the scalar product...
     cos(\theta) = \frac{a.b}{|a||b|}

cos(0^\circ) = 1

This shows that...
     \frac{a.b}{|a||b|} = 1 , when  \theta = 0^\circ

Meaning...
     a.b = |a||b|

Firstly, are you happy about where and how we get \mathbf{a}\cdot \mathbf{b}=\lvert \mathbf{a}\lvert \lvert \mathbf{b} \lvert \cos(\theta) ?

Secondly, if two vectors are parallel then the angle between them is always 0 so plugging this into the equation gives you the shown relation.

Dunno but maybe watching this video can help since that relation is derived towards the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNuIhXo39_k
    I know the scalar product but proving how it's derived is another matter!

I know that  a.b is the product of the x, y, and/or z coordinates of the vectors a and b
    and that  |a||b| is the magnitude/modulus/length of vectors a and b multiplied by each other.

But as you can see my knowledge is still very limited.

Thanks for the link, I will watch that video now
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you notnek!! I understand perpendicular vectors a lot more now! But I'm still a bit "iffy" with parallel vectors.

So for parallel vectors there will be no angle between them so if  \theta = 0^\circa then  cos(0 ^\circ ) =1

because using the scalar product...
     cos(\theta) = \frac{a.b}{|a||b|}

cos(0^\circ) = 1

This shows that...
     \frac{a.b}{|a||b|} = 1 , when  \theta = 0^\circ

Meaning...
     a.b = |a||b|
    You say you are iffy but what you wrote is correct. Can you explain what you're unsure about?

To summarise, the important thing is that you remember these:

When \mathbf{a} and \mathbf{b} are perpendicular, \mathbf{a}\cdot \mathbf{b} = 0

When \mathbf{a} and \mathbf{b} are parallel, \mathbf{a}\cdot \mathbf{b} = |\mathbf{a}| |\mathbf{b}|

These results come from the scalar/dot product formula where \theta = 90 and \theta = 0

For C4 you don't need to know how the scalar product formula is derived. You just need to be able to use the formula and use the results above that come from the formula.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.