Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does everyone lower their PHYSICAL "standards" as they get older? Watch

I'm really confused I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I'm 23 and I've always fancied hot guys. I was really attracted to my ex boyfriend. I've met this guy who is still relatively good looking but I don't think would be classed as "hot".. he has made a few moves on me and I rejected them because I wasn't really attracted to him... but the more I've gotten to know him he has become more attractive because of his personality.

I don't know if I just really like him as a friend or if I'm attracted to him because I rejected him before???

He has now started sleeping with a different girl so has clearly lost interest but I am just wondering if this is a life lesson for me? As you get older do you start going for "less attractive" guys that have a good personality?

I'm not saying the guys I've liked/dated in the past were attractive with bad personalities by the way, I'm saying do you become attracted to MORE people?
    • Political Ambassador

That's a good question. I've never really thought about it that way, but I think as I grew up I became more tolerant, but for some people is quite the opposite.

Maybe as some become older, they realize that chances to be alone are higher if haven't found a partner yet, so they just go with the mediocre person or whatever. It's not the greatest mentality.

(Original post by EC)
    That's a good question. I've never really thought about it that way, but I think as I grew up I became more tolerant, but for some people is quite the opposite.

Maybe as some become older, they realize that chances to be alone are higher if haven't found a partner yet, so they just go with the mediocre person or whatever. It's not the greatest mentality.

I just find that there aren't that many attractive guys in the first place, then there aren't that many that aren't knobs, THEN there aren't that many who are single and then on top of all of that they have to like me. I consider myself an attractive person and people come up to me and say I'm pretty, but there are many girls who are much prettier so maybe I am just normally attracted to guys that are "above" me in looks and I need to lower my standards.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I just find that there aren't that many attractive guys in the first place, then there aren't that many that aren't knobs, THEN there aren't that many who are single and then on top of all of that they have to like me. I consider myself an attractive person and people come up to me and say I'm pretty, but there are many girls who are much prettier so maybe I am just normally attracted to guys that are "above" me in looks and I need to lower my standards.
    Lol, the right one is going to show up when you least expect it. Don't lower your standards just because you don't want to be alone.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I'm 23 and I've always fancied hot guys. I was really attracted to my ex boyfriend. I've met this guy who is still relatively good looking but I don't think would be classed as "hot".. he has made a few moves on me and I rejected them because I wasn't really attracted to him... but the more I've gotten to know him he has become more attractive because of his personality.

I don't know if I just really like him as a friend or if I'm attracted to him because I rejected him before???

He has now started sleeping with a different girl so has clearly lost interest but I am just wondering if this is a life lesson for me? As you get older do you start going for "less attractive" guys that have a good personality?

I'm not saying the guys I've liked/dated in the past were attractive with bad personalities by the way, I'm saying do you become attracted to MORE people?
    I wouldn't call it lowering your standards, it would be maturing and wanting someone compatible instead of someone who just looks good

(Original post by EC)
    Lol, the right one is going to show up when you least expect it. Don't lower your standards just because you don't want to be alone.
    I agree and that's my mentality honestly, but just in this situation I don't feel I'm lowering my standards as such, I just think I might have feelings for someone I wouldn't normally be physically attracted to necessarily.

The problem is I have done this like twice before where I thought I liked a guy who was less attractive and went on dates/ended up kissing them etc... then realised I just really liked them as a friend and ended up losing their friendships cos they were really hurt. Now I'm questioning whether I did actually like them but I was being shallow because they were less attractive than I would normally go for..
    • Political Ambassador

I agree and that's my mentality honestly, but just in this situation I don't feel I'm lowering my standards as such, I just think I might have feelings for someone I wouldn't normally be physically attracted to necessarily.

The problem is I have done this like twice before where I thought I liked a guy who was less attractive and went on dates/ended up kissing them etc... then realised I just really liked them as a friend and ended up losing their friendships cos they were really hurt. Now I'm questioning whether I did actually like them but I was being shallow because they were less attractive than I would normally go for..
    Going for a nice personality instead of good looks only is a great thing to do. I don't think you're being shallow, but you're thinking too much about it and you're not in control of your feelings.

(Original post by EC)
    Going for a nice personality instead of good looks only is a great thing to do. I don't think you're being shallow, but you're thinking too much about it and you're not in control of your feelings.
    Yeah I'm really not. I just don't want to do what I did to those other 2 guys... I guess I'll just give it more time until I'm sure
    • Political Ambassador

Yeah I'm really not. I just don't want to do what I did to those other 2 guys... I guess I'll just give it more time until I'm sure
    Just be more careful and give it a little thought, you might hurt someone's feelings if reckless.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.