Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I got a law degree in the UK and moved to another country, could I use it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in perhaps studying law at university and go into it professionally; I've always wanted to live in Italy for a few years (or longer). If I did gain a degree here, could I easily get a job in law in Italy or would I need an Italian law degree as well???

ReputationRep:
    You can't even practise law here with (just) a law degree.

I think the first question would be: can you speak Italian?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You will need to attend law school first though. If you attended law school in the UK, you would need to undertake further examination in few foreign countries before you are eligible to practice law. Or you could just go to law school in the country you wish to practice it. However, in most European places, becoming a qualified lawyer in England should suffice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfricanPrinceXI)
    Yes. You will need to attend law school first though. If you attended law school in the UK, you would need to undertake further examination in few foreign countries before you are eligible to practice law. Or you could just go to law school in the country you wish to practice it. However, in most European places, becoming a qualified lawyer in England should suffice.
    Thank you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsJenson)
    I'm interested in perhaps studying law at university and go into it professionally; I've always wanted to live in Italy for a few years (or longer). If I did gain a degree here, could I easily get a job in law in Italy or would I need an Italian law degree as well???
    It depends when you want to live in Italy.

If it is straight after graduating, then you would need an Italian law degree which takes 5 years, plus a training period of at least 18 months + a bar exam.

If you qualified as an English lawyer first (degree + law school + training contract) and then worked in Italy, as it stands you could work as an English qualified lawyer. But that could come into question where the UK is leaving the EU as the process that allows lawyers to do this is based on an EU directive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.