Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from the Cam? Submitted my app. on mid of November last year. Waiting kills me...
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lila Jisi)
    Has anyone heard from the Cam? Submitted my app. on mid of November last year. Waiting kills me...
    Cambridge PG admissions work by a continuous process of skimming off the very top applications and making offers and a much larger swathe of weaker applications who get rejected. The more average you are for Cambridge, the longer it takes for your application to either rise to the top or sink to the bottom. Waiting is just part of the process.

Very broadly, they are dealing with some of the best applicants in the world, but with limited places, they have to wait and see what the quality of the applicant pool is each year. They can't afford to take a 'first come, first served' approach when dealing with applicants from all over the world, with different academic years, academic conventions, expectations of process and awareness/availability of options. The selection of the 'middle ground' of applicants doesn't usually start before March, when new applications slow down and a view of the entire application cohort can be made. If you are constantly hitting refresh before that, then it's self-inflicted pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Cambridge PG admissions work by a continuous process of skimming off the very top applications and making offers and a much larger swathe of weaker applications who get rejected. The more average you are for Cambridge, the longer it takes for your application to either rise to the top or sink to the bottom. Waiting is just part of the process.

Very broadly, they are dealing with some of the best applicants in the world, but with limited places, they have to wait and see what the quality of the applicant pool is each year. They can't afford to take a 'first come, first served' approach when dealing with applicants from all over the world, with different academic years, academic conventions, expectations of process and awareness/availability of options. The selection of the 'middle ground' of applicants doesn't usually start before March, when new applications slow down and a view of the entire application cohort can be made. If you are constantly hitting refresh before that, then it's self-inflicted pressure.
    Thanks for your detailed reply!! I indeed know the process would takes a bit long. However, I thought the first-round result would be sent out before the Christmas. And I have noticed there are a few Phd offers have been made from other departments of Cambridge in past days. That's why I am asking here. 😯
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your detailed reply!! I indeed know the process would takes a bit long. However, I thought the first-round result would be sent out before the Christmas. And I have noticed there are a few Phd offers have been made from other departments of Cambridge in past days. That's why I am asking here. 😯
    There are n 'rounds' (I think there are in the other place's process), there are just phases of activity in individual departments. There is no link between the timing of different departments. The few offers are just the strongest candidates bobbing to the top and the departments being prepared to make a relatively early offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    There are n 'rounds' (I think there are in the other place's process), there are just phases of activity in individual departments. There is no link between the timing of different departments. The few offers are just the strongest candidates bobbing to the top and the departments being prepared to make a relatively early offer.
    Wow Great insights! So seems there is nothing I can do but for waiting....

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's good news/bad news time. Good news is that you haven't been dismissed out of hand and rejected at the outset. Bad news is that your application wasn't quite good enough to prompt an immediate offer and now you just have to wait and see whether anyone more suitable applies as the process continues.

As has been said, departments can work to very different timescales, so there's no mileage in worrying about that aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I guess it's good news/bad news time. Good news is that you haven't been dismissed out of hand and rejected at the outset. Bad news is that your application wasn't quite good enough to prompt an immediate offer and now you just have to wait and see whether anyone more suitable applies as the process continues.

As has been said, departments can work to very different timescales, so there's no mileage in worrying about that aspect.
    I thought the selection mechanism went like that there would be a department committee meeting to decide the result together regularly for all applicants (e.g. 3 times per year)... Seems I was wrong...

I got a reference letter from one of the faculty member at Cam (she also help me to revise my RP). Hope these will help me to get a place. 🙏

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.