Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rugby Union - We need to talk about Dylan Watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly this may gain more interest from England fans but I am sure other nations supporters will have their opinions.....

Following his recent ban after the pretty ludicrous swinging arm against Leinster, should Dylan Hartley still be named as England's captain? Eddie Jones is showing complete faith in him which I personally admire and ultimately agree with. However, is the start of another downturn in attitude and temperament from the England captain?

I believe he has proved his worth in the past 15 months or so but interested to get people's thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one. I mean, it is a red card and a ban, but in a way I feel a bit sorry for him. It was just a really stupid and thoughtless thing to do. There wasn't anything cynical in it. Other bans have been a lot more deserved, like when he swore at Wayne Barnes in the Premiership Final.

Eddie Jones should just give him another chance and remind him that he has to be on his absolute best over the following months, especially the Six Nations. After all his England captaincy has gone really well, so far.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, agreed.

With Eddie Jones lighting fires under most of the team, this may actually be a really positive kick up the arse for him and drive him to ensure he secures not only his captaincy but also his place in the team. Let's not forget the formidable Jamie George is pushing him hard for his position!

Six nations is guaranteed to be a closely contested one....Ireland on massive confidence boost and gelled as ever, Wales always dangerous in this arena (particularly against England), Scotland looking their best for years and many players knocking on the door for Lions spots, plus even France seem to be getting themselves together.

Predictions for 6 nations??

ReputationRep:
    In theory, the only problem is Ireland, at least from my pint of view.

Dublin has always been an awful ground for England. With Joe Schmit's top knotch tactical planning, if Ireland have a good day they are pretty much invincible, like against the All Blacks. However, this is only if they are able to execute their plan, which they rarely can.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have any issue with his discipline tbh. He needs to make the 23 on merit but this seems to be more and more difficult for him to do. Jamie George is easily better than Dylan and Tommy Taylor probably is too. Cowan-Dickie in the mix too. A big question would also be, who do you make captain if Dylan isn't in the 23?

I think Hartley will probably make the 6Ns team (based on his captaincy impact) and then possibly the summer tour (with George going to NZ). Once, the AIs come around that'll definitely be it for him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.