Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could this wipe out humanity in 100 days? Watch

• View Poll Results: How long would you last in the Zombie apocalypse?
    The first week
    30.82%
    1-2 months
    12.54%
    3-5 months
    4.66%
    6 -9 moths
    2.51%
    9 months to a year
    3.94%
    I would beat the Zombie a apocalypse
    45.52%

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    A team at Leicester University have warned that mankind would last 100 days if a Zombie apocalypse was to happen.

This was concluded under the assumption that Zombies are able to find one person a day, with a 90% success rate of infection. This would make a Zombie outbreak more infectious than the Black Death!

You can read more on the story here

How long would you last in the Zombie apocalypse?

ReputationRep:
    It depends how fast the zombies move - if they're like the ones in the Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead & the book version of World War Z then I'd fancy humanity's chances as well as my own.
    If they move as fast as the ones in the film version of World War Z or the infected in 28 Days/Weeks Later then we'd all be pretty screwed.

Assuming they're relatively slow moving (because surely dead & decaying flesh can't actually move all that quickly) & can't climb then it wouldn't take an awful lot of countermeasures to neutralise their effectiveness. Ideas like houses raised up in the trees or build on stilts with some kind of rope ladder which can be retracted would protect you for example.
    The hardest parts in my opinion would be surviving the initial outbreak (where they'd probably be cover ups & disbelief followed by total chaos & anarchy); then it'd be generally trying to survive while scavenging (where you are in the world & what resources you have around you could either make this quite straightforward or very difficult); the biggest threat might actually be other survivors though as people would probably kill each other for supplies & groups would attempt to wipe each other out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    It depends how fast the zombies move - if they're like the ones in the Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead & the book version of World War Z then I'd fancy humanity's chances as well as my own.
    If they move as fast as the ones in the film version of World War Z or the infected in 28 Days/Weeks Later then we'd all be pretty screwed.

Assuming they're relatively slow moving (because surely dead & decaying flesh can't actually move all that quickly) & can't climb then it wouldn't take an awful lot of countermeasures to neutralise their effectiveness. Ideas like houses raised up in the trees or build on stilts with some kind of rope ladder which can be retracted would protect you for example.
    The hardest parts in my opinion would be surviving the initial outbreak (where they'd probably be cover ups & disbelief followed by total chaos & anarchy); then it'd be generally trying to survive while scavenging (where you are in the world & what resources you have around you could either make this quite straightforward or very difficult); the biggest threat might actually be other survivors though as people would probably kill each other for supplies & groups would attempt to wipe each other out.
    You have a pragmatic + scientific answer for everything :rofl:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How I plan on surviving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    You have a pragmatic + scientific answer for everything :rofl:
    I try! However I'd be the first to admit that I'm not always right .

In this case it helps that I've read Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide, & World War Z as well as watched all of the Walking Dead & Fear the Walking Dead.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Here is my zombie smashing team:

Leader: Kyx
    Nunchuck-master-2334
    CheeseIsVeg
    Matrix123

Never venture outside the base on your own. Always take at least one person with you. Aim for the head if you have to fight a zombie. If you have been in physical contact with a zombie, inform a member of the team straight away. If a member of the team informs you that they have been in physical contact with a zombie, kill them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)

It has been proven that it is impossible for zombies to exist, so I fancy my chances!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Here is my zombie smashing team:

Leader: Kyx
    Nunchuck-master-2334
    CheeseIsVeg
    Matrix123

Never venture outside the base on your own. Always take at least one person with you. Aim for the head if you have to fight a zombie. If you have been in physical contact with a zombie, inform a member of the team straight away. If a member of the team informs you that they have been in physical contact with a zombie, kill them.
    *he starts to attatch short swords to all his nunchucks*
    Let's do this!
    Zombie-features is goin' down!

ReputationRep:
    A zombie Apocalypse would depend on so many factors - are the 'zombies' alive or dead, slow or fast, clever or stupid - and how it was managed on first emerging/how fast news spread

If they were slow/stupid/dead zombies and people heard before the infection picked up speed then it wouldn't be hard to fortify somewhere or go somewhere remote for a while. I think the bigger danger would be the looting/panic at first, people making stupid decisions e.g. deciding to hide out in a remote area and dying of dehdration/exposure, and potentially people fighting each other for supplies.

If it was more 'rage virus' then it would be harder to deal with and more likely to get out of control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    *he starts to attatch short swords to all his nunchucks*
    Let's do this!
    Zombie-features is goin' down!
    *Inserts blades in his sleeves, Assassin's Creed style*

ReputationRep:
    It had to be Leicester didn't it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    *Inserts blades in his sleeves, Assassin's Creed style*
    Nunchucks are faster and can cause more damage.
    Broken 45 bones with 'em (not mine)
    Broken my nose and dislocated my jaw with them as well. That was 6 years ago.

(Original post by Danny Dorito)
      A team at Leicester University have warned that mankind would last 100 days if a Zombie apocalypse was to happen.

This was concluded under the assumption that Zombies are able to find one person a day, with a 90% success rate of infection. This would make any Zombie outbreak more infectious than the Black Death!

You can read more on the story here

How long would you last in the Zombie apocalypse?

The zombie apocalypse has been and gone already.

ReputationRep:
      Name:  b080484e4fa87913d0d1cee4345d7e60.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  62.5 KB

If you can get hold of a suit like this then it'd take a large amount zombies or overwhelm you. You wouldn't be totally impervious to them as there are some weak points but armed with the right weaponry & a team wearing similar kit then you'd be very difficult to bite.

ReputationRep:
      Nunchucks are faster and can cause more damage.
      Broken 45 bones with 'em (not mine)
      Broken my nose and dislocated my jaw with them as well. That was 6 years ago.
      Just try not to get infected

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kyx)
      Just try not to get infected
      I'm too nimble for them!

ReputationRep:
      I'm too nimble for them!
      Me too

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kyx)
      Me too
      Stay away from my nunchucks.
      I! Am! Nunchuck-master-2334!
      No1 is better than me at nunchucks here!

ReputationRep:
      Stay away from my nunchucks.
      I! Am! Nunchuck-master-2334!
      No1 is better than me at nunchucks here!
      I can use bow and arrow! Wii Sports, the school record score was 350, I got 355!!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kyx)
      I can use bow and arrow! Wii Sports, the school record score was 350, I got 355!!!
      450 on expert.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.