Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this iLLEGAL? Watch

Announcements

(Original post by yunglife)
    Not sure if it is illegal - but it is somewhat unethical.

I had a family friend who was the landlord of a property and he like your landlord decided to renovate the bathroom. The tenants were made aware of this and one was complaining - to which my family friend was like if you don't like this then leave. He did however, waive a bit off the rent - but not much which I think is fair. After all, he did the renovation for their benefit too. I know about this particular case, because I went with the family friend and was kind of like his "muscle" lol
    was a toilet and bathroom unaccesibble for most of the day + was there constant noise for well over a month?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    was a toilet and bathroom unaccesibble for most of the day + was there constant noise for well over a month?
    Hi,

At the time, there was one bathroom with a shower and another toilet room within this property. The landlord (my friend) informed the tenants (occupants) in the property that he was going to refurbish the bathroom - to which he said that he had no objections if the tenants wanted to leave. In fact, he wanted all of them to find different accommodations as he wanted to do some other renovation work and increase the rent price.

Most of the occupants wanted to stay regardless, because the spot was near a tube station and there were a lot of shops and places in close vicinity. As most of the tenants were workers - the property was vacant throughout the day. So the landlord had most of the day free and the builders started working on the main bathroom with a shower. Of course, they put a notice on the door and everything and at night, the tenants were able to use the other toilet room. I believe it took about two weeks or less to fully renovate the bathroom. Bear in mind that the landlord was fair in his approach as he did tell them about the situation and slightly lowered the price of rent for a month.

(Original post by yunglife)
    Hi,

At the time, there was one bathroom with a shower and another toilet room within this property. The landlord (my friend) informed the tenants (occupants) in the property that he was going to refurbish the bathroom - to which he said that he had no objections if the tenants wanted to leave. In fact, he wanted all of them to find different accommodations as he wanted to do some other renovation work and increase the rent price.

Most of the occupants wanted to stay regardless, because the spot was near a tube station and there were a lot of shops and places in close vicinity. As most of the tenants were workers - the property was vacant throughout the day. So the landlord had most of the day free and the builders started working on the main bathroom with a shower. Of course, they put a notice on the door and everything and at night, the tenants were able to use the other toilet room. I believe it took about two weeks or less to fully renovate the bathroom. Bear in mind that the landlord was fair in his approach as he did tell them about the situation and slightly lowered the price of rent for a month.
    So there was a spare batrhoom

What if in the situation you mentioned the only available bathroom between 6 people was almost unaccessible for most of the day, loud and extreme noises for the month, and six people sharing one bathroom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So there was a spare batrhoom

What if in the situation you mentioned the only available bathroom between 6 people was almost unaccessible for most of the day, loud and extreme noises for the month, and six people sharing one bathroom?
    Well first of all, if I was in a position where I was the landlord and in your scenario - I would most certainly tell you all that I am going ahead with the renovation. Of course, I will tell you that you are more than welcome to leave and if you did not want too - well I would ask if you were working throughout the day. To renovate the bathroom would take about 2 weeks not a month! Of course, if it came to that I would tell the builders to install the toilet first so that it is accessible - however it would become a health and safety risk. I would explain this to you and that you are liable for damages to yourself or the property.

It is a tough situation - most certainly not illegal. Although, the landlord should give you some options

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.