Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently changed my course from a 5 year MEng in Computer science to a 4 year BSc so I can do an MSc at a different Uni but am quite unsure at which I'd like to do it.

People who have done Computer science masters/ studied comp sci; what would you rate Universities for their comp sci masters courses?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 15150776)
    I recently changed my course from a 5 year MEng in Computer science to a 4 year BSc so I can do an MSc at a different Uni but am quite unsure at which I'd like to do it.

People who have done Computer science masters/ studied comp sci; what would you rate Universities for their comp sci masters courses?
    Why?

Are you home student in England? An MSc is more expensive and you won't get the same level of SFE support as you do with an MEng.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to not have the option to do a Master's elsewhere. The MEng course I'd applied to is 5 years at the same university which I just think I don't want to do.

I was also advised that MSci is deemed higher than MEng due to it being a postgraduate qualification whereas MEng is undergrad.

Also, yes. I'm a British student
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 15150776)
    I don't want to not have the option to do a Master's elsewhere. The MEng course I'd applied to is 5 years at the same university which I just think I don't want to do.

I was also advised that MSci is deemed higher than MEng due to it being a postgraduate qualification whereas MEng is undergrad.

Also, yes. I'm a British student
    It's only 5 years if you do a year in industry (which is a good idea).

An MEng is equivalent to BEng+MSc to all intents and purposes. You can do a PhD with an MEng.

Also an MSc will likely cost £10k tuition plus living costs. You can get a postgrad tuition loan for £10k but you can't also get a seperate loan for living costs (i.e. you can't get the maintenance loan available to undergrads).

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.