Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims who have boyfriends/girlfriends Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll pretend to fast. Usually I just eat during lunch break at work.

And as for praying, I don't think she will mind, but I'm not sure as we have not discussed that.
    Tbh, you should really inform her on how you feel about her bet tell her you're an ex-muslim as well. Maybe she might not mind but have some specific request (e.g. bring up kids in Islamic faith, respect her religious duties etc.)

Otherwise you'll get married, sometime she'll find out and she will be hurt from feeling betrayed.

If she divorces you, you will have this story of betrayal attached to you for the rest of your life and that will limit any second chances...

I'll pretend to fast. Usually I just eat during lunch break at work.

And as for praying, I don't think she will mind, but I'm not sure as we have not discussed that.
    Not only are you deceiving her, you are lying to yourself. Is it really worth it? It is not fair on either of you to continue with this facade. It's not her fault because she is none the wiser, but you're not helping the situation by continuing and prolonging this. Trust me, it will be much worse to tell her after marriage, because it could result in divorce. If you tell her beforehand and she chooses not to go ahead with the marriage because of you denouncing Islam, then that's her choice. That is the better option than telling her after marriage or never telling her. You also shouldn't have to pretend to believe in Islam and pretend to be a practicing Muslim either to please her. I know you both love each other, but you need to have some respect - for her and yourself. You never know, you both might be able to compromise and make it work somehow. Don't you feel guilty keeping this secret from her? Personally, I wouldn't be able to put up with it and I'm not exactly religious either in that I don't pray (although, I intend to learn how to do so properly), but I fast, haven't had sexual contact with anyone, never drank alcohol, etc. The most important aspect of Islam, in my opinion, is having faith in Allah, so yes, whilst it may be haram to engage in drinking, sexual activity, etc., those sins can be forgiven providing people repent and reform, so that's not the issue. Only judgemental people would hold someone's past indiscretions against them, and use that as a reason to either not marry or later divorce a person, but I suppose that's their prerogative. The problem here in this situation with you and your fiance is that you don't know whether she can accept it, because you haven't opened up to her about this and given her the opportunity to voice her opinion about this. Even if she is okay with you being an Ex-Muslim, she might end up being mad over the fact that you willfully deceived her for all this time. It's up to you what you do, but try to make good decisions that will have the most favourable outcomes for both of you. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Me, and other people have said this to you 20 times already. You are violating her trust and her faith. Do you not seem to understand this concept? How heartless and oblivious can you be? Nobody is asking you to be a Muslim, none of us are forcing Islam down your throat, that is entirely your choice. All we're asking is for you to be honest to your fiancee. You are not being honest. Your marriage is an entire lie.
    Perhaps his fiancee is faking it as well...

The peer pressure to publicly display one's faith is so high that it is hard to tell who really believes to these fairy tales. Unfortunately, Islam doesn't encourage people to be honest.

I think anon 5 is trolling you all. Posts like one below deliberately give unnecessary detail which is meant to bait people.

Of course she'll love me, in fact I'm the only one who can love her. On my wedding night when she comes back home with her, I'll start kissing her. She's never kissed a guy before.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that on tsr always intentionally someone raises stupid question so people make mock Muslims?

(Original post by Aiyoxiin)
    Tbh, you should really inform her on how you feel about her bet tell her you're an ex-muslim as well. Maybe she might not mind but have some specific request (e.g. bring up kids in Islamic faith, respect her religious duties etc.)

Otherwise you'll get married, sometime she'll find out and she will be hurt from feeling betrayed.

If she divorces you, you will have this story of betrayal attached to you for the rest of your life and that will limit any second chances...
    It's just a lot smoother at this moment in time with my engagement. It's a dream come true and I'd never think I'd get engaged to such an amazing woman.

Also I doubt I'll ever even think about divorcing her. And I just can't see why she will divorce me so it's definitely much more smoother. All of the other people from the ex-Muslim society haven't come out.

ReputationRep:
    What's so disgusting? I'll never leave her because of some kid on an online forum..
    You wont leave her because your insecure , you know no one else would want you. Its not about love :blah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Perhaps his fiancee is faking it as well...

The peer pressure to publicly display one's faith is so high that it is hard to tell who really believes to these fairy tales. Unfortunately, Islam doesn't encourage people to be honest.
    Anonymous 5 is "ex muslim" and isnt honest. No need to blame Islam for dishonest people. Theres dishonest people all around you.

(Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Anonymous 5 is "ex muslim" and isnt honest. No need to blame Islam for dishonest people. Theres dishonest people all around you.
    Exactly. This guy is clearly punching above his weight, hence why he is pretending to be someone he is not to maintain the relationship.

I will come out later. It's just about finding the right time, and that time certainly isn't now. I do intend to have the Islamic wedding Nikkah which she desires and even though I don't believe in it, I still gain the cultural practice for self-satisfaction.

I personally don't think you know how difficult it is for us ex-Muslims. In fact VERY few of my friends who are ex-Muslim have come out and there is a reason why because of the drama it will cause with out families and friends. It's all about finding the right moment to come out. Sometimes that may be never depending of circumstances.
    What nationality is your fiancé?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.