Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Use of first person in English Language Year 13 Language Investigation Watch

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is undertaking this piece of coursework and I've agreed to read through it to provide feedback.

One thing that instantly sticks out is use of the first person e.g.:-
    "I will aim to show that.....I am using primary and seconday sources...I think this will be interesting because..."

It's been a long time since I did A-Levels but I would have thought the use of first person would be discouraged. My approach would be to use such language as:-

"This report will aim to make conclusions....different sources of evidence will be used such as...it will be hard to make judgements without objective...."

The teacher has apparently not provided too much guidance. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    anyone able to offer advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike100)
    anyone able to offer advice?
    AQA don't give specific guidance about first / third person. Their most recent moderation materials all have the student using the first person so this would appear to be quite acceptable. The focus is clearly on content, although there should be an appropriate level of formality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit teacher)
    AQA don't give specific guidance about first / third person. Their most recent moderation materials all have the student using the first person so this would appear to be quite acceptable. The focus is clearly on content, although there should be an appropriate level of formality.
    That's useful, thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Its an investigative report, therefore 1st person is acceptable and often encouraged as it shows the student understands what s/he is investigating and writing about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.