Turn on thread page Beta

Would you rather live in Oxford or live in Portsmouth for uni and why? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As a mature student (22), private renting with partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsyeahhhhh)
    As a mature student (22), private renting with partner.
    Can't give a comparison for Portsmouth, but Oxford has a shortage of rented accommodation. It's difficult to find rented places and it's known to be expensive for renting as a result. If money is an issue, you're probably looking at a double room in a shared house - as most students will be looking for single rooms.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I live in Portsmouth, I can confirm it is cheap and as long as you get yourself sorted asap there's no shortage of housing. I'm sharing a 3 bedroom house next year, paying £95 a week for rent. That seemed to be a fairly standard amount, with some cheaper and some more expensive. IMO we are getting a good deal though as the accommodation is within walking distance of everywhere, all the rooms are large with double beds and it even has a garage. Quiet neighbourhood but not far from the nightlife if you were interested in that. Portsmouth itself is a nice enough city, everything you need is local. No real complaints. Can't compare to Oxford since I don't live there but I don't regret living in Portsmouth

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.