Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather live in Oxford or live in Portsmouth for uni and why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As above! :-) Mature student, private renting with partner.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    To attend Oxford Brookes or Portsmouth University respectively?

Do you have offers for both...?

Have you visited both? Have you compared the courses?

What others may like/dislike may not be the same for you and your partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    To attend Oxford Brookes or Portsmouth University respectively?

Do you have offers for both...?

Have you visited both? Have you compared the courses?

What others may like/dislike may not be the same for you and your partner.

I have confirmed places for both. I'm a mature student, I did my A Levels years ago. I've visited both places. Courses have different strengths and weaknesses but are on par.

I'm trying to gain some general perspective, as I really can't decide. They're even close on the league tables.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsyeahhhhh)
    I have confirmed places for both. I'm a mature student, I did my A Levels years ago. I've visited both places. Courses have different strengths and weaknesses but are on par.

I'm trying to gain some general perspective, as I really can't decide. They're even close on the league tables.
    Well it's dreaming spires vs a naval port...

Oh, and Oxford is relatively expensive.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ty2=Portsmouth

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how it works for mature students but have you checked if you get any additional money from any of the unis? Not being bias but for my situation I would get an extra 4.5k over my 3 years at brookes so it's probably worth checking, just thought i should add since cost of living in oxford was mentioned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakisaka)
    Not sure how it works for mature students but have you checked if you get any additional money from any of the unis? Not being bias but for my situation I would get an extra 4.5k over my 3 years at brookes so it's probably worth checking, just thought i should add since cost of living in oxford was mentioned

Thanks - this is helpful. I'm concerned I wouldn't be entitled to anything from the university though, as I've already dropped out from a different uni once before. I was in my first year. I've heard this can stop you from receiving them :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - this is helpful. I'm concerned I wouldn't be entitled to anything from the university though, as I've already dropped out from a different uni once before. I was in my first year. I've heard this can stop you from receiving them :/
    Every uni can set its own criteria for bursaries - mine doesn't restrict them like that for low-income households (I had dropped out of my previous uni attempt after two years and still got it). Don't rely on what you've "heard" without checking direct, otherwise you could be missing out on hundeds, or even thousands, of pounds of non-repayable funding.

If you check the box on your Student Finance applicaton which lets them share your info with third parties, then your uni will automatically consider you for the low-income bursary. If you don't do that, you will have to apply direct to the uni under their own process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Every uni can set its own criteria for bursaries - mine doesn't restrict them like that for low-income households (I had dropped out of my previous uni attempt after two years and still got it). Don't rely on what you've "heard" without checking direct, otherwise you could be missing out on hundeds, or even thousands, of pounds of non-repayable funding.

If you check the box on your Student Finance applicaton which lets them share your info with third parties, then your uni will automatically consider you for the low-income bursary. If you don't do that, you will have to apply direct to the uni under their own process.
    I had a look at their websites and both say if 'entering higher education for the first time in 2016.' Bad times

ReputationRep:
    I had a look at their websites and both say if 'entering higher education for the first time in 2016.' Bad times
    I can't see any mention of that under the Oxford Brookes Bursary Scheme:

https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-a...uk-eu-2016-17/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.