Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How To Create A Graduate CV In Less Than A Day - The Highlighter System Watch

ReputationRep:
    I regularly hear from graduates that they’ve tirelessly applied for hundreds of jobs yet have struggled to get an interview. And, with a little investigation, nine times out of ten, the problem is not their apparent “lack of experience” that leaves the phone silent. It’s actually their CV.

In this case study I’m going to walk you through the exact system that I have personally used to create my own CV that has won me many marketing interviews over the 12 years that I’ve worked in digital marketing. And more recently I’ve used this exact same system to help many recent university graduates get their first roles.

It’s called The Highlighter System.

Here are the five steps that make up The Highlighter System:

Step 1: Highlight the relevant info on your existing CV.
    Start with your existing CV. Make sure it is up-to-date and includes all of the relevant digital marketing experience that you have got to date. And if it doesn’t just make an additional list of the things you would add to it. Highlight the relevant skills and experience on your CV in green; and highlight the irrelevant information in pink.

Step 2: Highlight the skills and attributes in the job advertisement.
    This is a crucial bit. Your CV has to be tailored to the job advertisement. There is no point reading the job advert and thinking ‘brilliant I can do all of that’ if you haven’t put it specifically and clearly on your CV. This time we are highlighting the skills and experience that the job is asking for.

Step 3: Match up the skills.
    Now, you should have a list of relevant skills and experience from your CV and a list of skills and experience that the job ad is looking for, and it’s time to match them up. At the end of this step you should aim to have at least 5 points that the recruiter is asking for in the job advert that you can confidently place on your CV.

Step 4: Create a ‘Relevant Skills and Experience’ section.
    It’s time to take your 5 or more bullet points and put them into a format that is guaranteed to impress the recruiter. It’s fool-proof because this is where you provide the evidence to back up your claim. You’re not simply saying I can do social media marketing, you are saying I can do social media marketing, and here is a link to the channel I worked on, and here is a statistic that shows I got results.

There are lots of examples of this in action on the blog.

Step 5: Write a killer profile (that recruiters simply cannot ignore!)
    Now this is the best bit. Everyone likes a story. And it’s time to write a story in 3 or 4 sentences. A story that succinctly tells the recruiter why they should hire you for the role.

So take your strongest 3 facts. They must be 3 of the facts that appeared in the job advert and you were able to match to your experience, and write an introduction to your CV that explains why you are a perfect fit for the role.

I hope you can see the potential of The Highlighter System for your CV and how it can help make you a strong, relevant choice for a hiring manager.

It does take some work to get this right.

But when you do you’ll be flying off to a fab new job. With this step-by-step process you can rest assured that the work taken to craft these sections is going to pay off big time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.