Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello Hello

My name is Malak and I am a third year student studying Journalism and Media at Middlesex University.

I am the course ambassador for Media, Communication and Cultures. This includes courses such as Journalism, Journalism and Media, Creative Writing and English.

If you are looking to study any of these courses, let me know! I am more than happy to help.

I hope to hear from you soon!

ReputationRep:
    My week : 20-11-2016

What a productive week!

Last week was reading week, so to be back on schedule all busy and occupied, I honestly missed it.

This week I was getting ready for the National Demo happening this Saturday. We are marching the streets to say NO to Fees, NO to Debt and No to Cuts.

I had my first disseration meeting with my supervisor this week. A bit nerve racking but I'm honestly so excited for the journey that is ahead of me.

Stay posted, I will be posting an article on the demo and how well it went soon.

ReputationRep:
    My week : 27-11-2016

A lot has happened this week and I'm happy to say again, that it has been a very productive week.

This week I learnt that the UK has passed an extreme surveillance law. As an aspiring journalist, this is extremely worry! How can we protect our sources and protect those who wish to come forward with ground breaking stories?

I attended NUS Black Student conference this week. It was an absolute pleasure and experience to attend such a beautiful event. I got to meet students, delegates, FE national representatives who are passionate on speaking up on black people issues such as racism and discrimination. It was an eye opening experience and I got to learn more about a subject I wish to be more proactive in.

ReputationRep:
    My week

Hi everyone, I hope you have had a wonderful week!

This week for me has been BUSY BUSY BUSY. I applied for the position of NUS delegate at my university. So, I am getting ready for a week of campaigning and getting ready for Middlesex University students to hopefully vote for me for the position.

I did a photoshoot for the University magazine which is to be released very soon! It was my first experience with a professional photographer and to say the experience was amazing would be an understatement. I got to learn new things about being photographed and the kinds mechanics that happen behind the scenes at a photoshoot. It was honestly a wonderful experience and I want to thank the University for giving the opportunity to be on board. I can't wait to see the pictures!

I am Student Voice Leader for my year, Journalism & Media 3rd year, and I attended a Board of Studies meeting and I am happy to inform you all soon of the exciting changes and course contend improvements that will be happening very very soon.

I received news of my upcoming deadlines which is not at all surprising since it is in fact, December (ALREADY RIGHT?). For one of my modules called Media Events and News Cultures, I have to produce, in essay based format, an analysis of an event that has been transformed into a media spectacle. The task seems very straightforward and I have just finished revising Galtung & Ruge's News Values analysis. Time to get on it!

Middlesex University also have christmas trees everywhere! Time to get into the christmas spirit!

ReputationRep:
    My week

I hope your week has been as productive as mine.

I spent the whole week campaigning to get elected for #1 NUS delegate. I made a short video of my manifesto and went around campus trying to convince individuals to vote for me.

I spent my weekend in the local library trying to write up my literature review for my disseration. My chosen topic is around the Media coverage of Iraq Inquiry. Super interesting topic right? Ignore my sarcasm. I genuinely find this an interesting topic as my enthusiasm in politics and be able to analyse while also critically reflecting on political issues is one of the many reasons for choosing this topic.

As course ambassador, I filmed a bunch of campus tour videos on my favourite spots around Middlesex University. Getting to work my fantastic Team Leader, Marzena, has been a blast always and I cannot wait to see the final video.

I know I am bit late, but I have just found out that Netflix works offline! I mean how cool right? I now have something fun to do on my commute to university other than catching up on the several readings. I am joking! Correct me if I am wrong, I think it is important to balance reading and watching and I will accept the challenge to do both.

Flat Earth News by Nick Davies is a book a recommend for all aspiring journalists or journalism students. I have just finished reading it and although it has struck me with many realities of being a journalists, many lessons can be learnt and taken from this book. I recommend you all read it.

I am looking forward to next week as it is YAY.. LAST WEEK OF THIS TERM. I cannot believe how quick this term has gone!

Winter Wonderland here I come!

ReputationRep:
    My Christmas week

Merry Christmas everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

During these holidays I've been heavily preoccupied with deadlines.

However, I attended a Comedy Show in Camden hosted by one of the charities I volunteer for called Human Appeal! It was good to go with my friends and have good laugh.

I also attended FOSIS Winter conference in Bradford. It was an absolute privilege and blessed experience. I met Islamic Societies and people from all over the United Kingdom and it was a wonderful opportunity to make contacts and meet new people.

With regards to assignments, I have to produce a social media campaign by 13th January 2017 for my International and Digital Public relations module. My lecturer is looking for creative and brand new ways to use social media to launch campaigns. This assignments is a true challenge and really focuses on marketing behind using the digital empire to promote campaigns.

New Year next week! I hope you all have had a wonderful 2016. Despite the arguable political setbacks, Brexit, Trump, Daesh attacks etc, lets pray that 2017 is good for the political scene.

I'm excited to go with my friends to see the London fireworks.

See you all next year!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,Malak!
    I would like to apply for Journalism and Media too.Can you tell me what activities I should do during high school (something relevant to the course) Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

What a good question! There are many activities you can do during high school that will help you to study this course. Signing up to your high school newspaper and writing for them is a good example. Going to debating classes or any other extra curriculum activities that involve politics, business or sports is a way of becoming knowledgable on a topic that you could later find out more about during your Journalism and Media course.

Try to find out if you high school does exams in Media and English. These two subjects will prepare you for the degree a lot because there will be a variety of skills you will gain from them.

If you have anymore question feel free to ask me!

ReputationRep:
    My week

DEADLINE WEEK

This week I have had four deadlines. It has been very challenging and stressful to balance them all but I am super relieved to announce that I have completed them all!

University started on Monday which means back to lectures and seminars. This term, I am most excited for the trips our lecturers have had planned for us. We are going to Goldsmith University to see one of Middlesex University professors, Kurt Barling, do a talk.

This week is also Refresh Fair. Journalism society will have a stall which I will be at taking down names and introducing many new students to the society.

Ask any questions that you may have about the following courses,
    Journalism
    Media
    Creative Writing
    English.

I will be happy to answer any queries.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malak at MDX)
    Hello!

What a good question! There are many activities you can do during high school that will help you to study this course. Signing up to your high school newspaper and writing for them is a good example. Going to debating classes or any other extra curriculum activities that involve politics, business or sports is a way of becoming knowledgable on a topic that you could later find out more about during your Journalism and Media course.

Try to find out if you high school does exams in Media and English. These two subjects will prepare you for the degree a lot because there will be a variety of skills you will gain from them.

If you have anymore question feel free to ask me!

Thank you so much! I was wondering if it is relevant to mention about my YouTube channel and blog in my personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    My week : 22-01-2017

Hello everyone!

I hope you have all had a wonderful week!

This week it was back to university timetable. Classes are back!

I've been working and leading with the our Student Union president on an Islamophobia Awareness Month. The aim is to raise awareness on islamophobia and encourage muslim members of the public to report any and all abuse. It's also an opportunity to challenge muslim stereotypes and create an environment that adheres and fights for the needs of all Muslims at Middlesex University and essentially all around the world.

This week was also the refresh fair. My fellow journalism society committee members and I had a stall where we encourage MDX students to join the Journalism Society. I also worked closely with Arab and Islamic Society and ensured that they were all working smoothly throughout the day.

WHY NOT WEEK is set to launched on 23rd of January. I am very excited to attend workshops organised by the SU.

I hope you all have a fantastic week!

ReputationRep:
    My Week

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well.

It’s been a fantastic week for me. I have finally launched a Islamophobia Awareness Month campaign with MDXSU president Simba Lkaderi. I’ve been working with a variety of liberations and societies on this campaign such as Middlesex University Islamic Society, Middlesex Arab Society, Middlesex Afghan Society - M.A.S, Middlesex University Pakistan Society, Middlesex Somali Society, MDXSU Black Students & MDXSU Women Students and FOSIS.

Middlesex University had a VIP offer holder event this Thursday. I attended as a Course Ambassador and met a lot of you there! It had so many new students and conditional offer holders and I was so happy and grateful to meet you all.

I also attend student voice conference this week. As student voice leader for Journalism and Media 3rd year, I voted and contributed to motions and enjoyed working with other liberations and societies that day too. Soon I will be attending NUS delegate training and as conference is coming at the end of April, I am looking forward to working with the other delegates winners.

I have not been neglecting my studies do not worry! I’ve been drafting my literature review for my dissertation. This process has been both stressful and exciting as I have managed to learn so much about the Iraq inquiry while also compiling 3000 words of research.

ReputationRep:
    My Week

Hello all

I hope you all had a wonderful and productive week.

This week for me consisted of campaigning and focusing on my studies.

In terms of campaigning, as I mentioned last week, I have been working with societies, liberations and MDXSU President on an Islamophobia Awareness Month at Middlesex University. This week we managed to launch a campaign that attracted many people. The campaign called Walk In her Scarf is for students and staff to wear the headscarf/hijab for a day and come back to me telling me about their experience wearing it. The aim of the campaign is to allow those wearing it to understand and even feel what muslim women who wear it do. It tuned out to be an absolute success of a campaign as we had over 15 people partake in it with feedback from those who partook as empowering to even feeling isolated by wearing. Keep an eye out for more on this campaign. MDXSU president, Simba, who is leading with me on this Islamophobia Awareness Month, has decided to extend this campaign until the third week due to the high demand and response so far.

I attended a MEND (Muslim Engagement and Development) workshop on Islamophobia and Politics. The workshop was run by Aman Ali, who throughout the two hours gave an extensive presentation on how British democracy functions and how muslim engagement is a step vital in having muslim representation within government and parliament. Yusuf Hassan from FOSIS came in and also gave those attending a presentation on how to engage with SU, your university and community. Both these were very eye opening!

In my International and Digital Publics Relations class, my professor gave a lecture stressing on the importance of having creative skills sets within the employability domain. Employers look for creative employees and so my professor explained, using many scholarly articles, the dire need for students to explore their creative skills sets during university years so they can show off and utilise their skills effectively in the work place.

Overall, it was an fantastic and productive week!

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

With regards to this page and student room, I am unfortunately unavailable to take up any questions and requests.

I am no longer a course ambassador for this course cluster so I advise you all to direct your enquiries to the general MDX forum where they will be answered.

I hope you are all well.

X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.