Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is University worth the investment? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn between whether I should go back to University or not? At the moment I don't really have a good job so a degree could help, but at the same time I'm fearful that I'd go there & not get a decent job at the end of it all. I know there's other routes, but not sure. A degree might make me seem more respected by many employers. I want to go into Politics long term, perhaps working for the government in some shape of form. Should I go or not, hmmm.......

ReputationRep:
    Did you leave? I'm probably going back this year after a short while out. It seems to me as If its a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    Did you leave? I'm probably going back this year after a short while out. It seems to me as If its a good idea.
    Yep, I was at University a few years back. I'm stuck working at minimum wage at a superstore & haven't had any luck so far with the jobs I've applied to as I lack experience. Thinking a University degree would help my chances, but not sure how funding would work as I've already done a couple of years plus they've gone up some £6k since I last went. I'm about 65%/35% in favour at the moment. What are you planning on studying out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Yep, I was at University a few years back. I'm stuck working at minimum wage at a superstore & haven't had any luck so far with the jobs I've applied to as I lack experience. Thinking a University degree would help my chances, but not sure how funding would work as I've already done a couple of years plus they've gone up some £6k since I last went. I'm about 65%/35% in favour at the moment. What are you planning on studying out of interest?
    Engineering I'm in the same position but now I have applied for a cheaper place And the payback on the loads are better. I worked at a store on Northern Ireland for a while but It was n'y to my taste as friend from school kept coming in And annoying me. There is a better chance now of being happiez at university as I used to joke a lot of people which was a distraction And now I Wong be So distracted And should be able to focus on what I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    Engineering I'm in the same position but now I have applied for a cheaper place And the payback on the loads are better. I worked at a store on Northern Ireland for a while but It was n'y to my taste as friend from school kept coming in And annoying me. There is a better chance now of being happiez at university as I used to joke a lot of people which was a distraction And now I Wong be So distracted And should be able to focus on what I want to do.
    Oh right that's cool. Last time I went it wasn't a great experience as I didn't like my course & struggled to make friends as well. I feel this time I'm in a better place and doing a course that I'm interested in. Will have to be prepared to do many assignments but I think I can cope and stay disciplined enough to succeed aha.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I'm sure you'll make friends I just picked Up a musical instrument again and I sent in the open day but It should be great fun. Assignments Will be a killer I Will have to start running again plus Englands 30 Times the size of Northern Ireland So I should be able to have less worry of being noticed to much And hopefully have the chance to make even more friends. There's hardly anyone here And They all farm (bore)If the workload gets heavy. Where are you applying And what course by the way?

ReputationRep:
    It's a prisoner's dilemma. More than half the students matriculating wouldn't be there if they could all trust each other not to go.

As it is, Alice (who lacks the interest) and Bob (who lacks the aptitude) and Claire (who fears the debt) will all appear for Freshers' Week because Alice later has to compete for jobs with Bob who has to compete with Claire who has to compete with Alice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.