The Student Room Group

NO clue what to do at uni

Helloooo,

I am currently a year 12 student studying biology, chemistry and economics, and I have absolutely no clue what I want to do at uni. When I started college I wasn't even sure what A-levels I wanted to do, I changed about a million times and even now I'm not really happy with them, but that's only because I'm struggling with the workload which is my own personal problem, and because my college is 3 bus rides away from me which wears me thin every day! But the other day I was talking to my friend about how tough college has been and we were having a really funny conversation laughing about failing until I was like, 'I don't even know what I wanna do at uni hahaha!!' and my friend was like wow that's pretty bad like even I know what I want to do, which kinda shocked me because I really do wanna go to university, but I don't know what exactly I want to do. I don't really think about university, which may be part of my problem, but that's because I didn't get perfect GCSE's and I'm worried that wont even get me in. I want something that'll get me a good job if I'm honest because at the end of the day that's what I really want. I did want to do like forensics but people have told me that its a dumb course that won't even get me a job anywhere which put me off. (This another reason why I don't know what I want to do, because whenever I have a sort of idea, people always tell me that I won't get a good job from it...)
You don't have to go to uni straight after college. There's nothing to stop you working for a few years and getting a better idea of what you want to do.

Don't go to uni because you feel you have to.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
You don't have to go to uni straight after college. There's nothing to stop you working for a few years and getting a better idea of what you want to do.

Don't go to uni because you feel you have to.

Thank you for the reply, but I've always wanted to go to uni and I don't really want to be working for year, there's no reason for this but I personally want to be going to uni after college, its just what I've always wanted.

I was really set on forensics but I went on this website and it showed that the average graduate salary was really low and so was the employment % and that put me off.
Original post by Asma-A

I was really set on forensics but I went on this website and it showed that the average graduate salary was really low and so was the employment % and that put me off.

Have you looked at the other options with your degree? https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/forensic-science
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag

the low employment rate is whats putting me off, I don't want to spend 3 years doing a degree and then struggle to get a job afterwards
Reply 5
I am really interested in it, I would love to be able to work at crime scenes and be in labs and stuff that does appeal to me, I'm just worried if there are enough jobs out there asking for it.
Reply 6
Listen up pal, yes, you are very late with that decision, but it has been statistically proven that chemistry is the best option if you got no idea what you want to do.
Original post by Asma-A
Helloooo,

I am currently a year 12 student studying biology, chemistry and economics, and I have absolutely no clue what I want to do at uni. When I started college I wasn't even sure what A-levels I wanted to do, I changed about a million times and even now I'm not really happy with them, but that's only because I'm struggling with the workload which is my own personal problem, and because my college is 3 bus rides away from me which wears me thin every day! But the other day I was talking to my friend about how tough college has been and we were having a really funny conversation laughing about failing until I was like, 'I don't even know what I wanna do at uni hahaha!!' and my friend was like wow that's pretty bad like even I know what I want to do, which kinda shocked me because I really do wanna go to university, but I don't know what exactly I want to do. I don't really think about university, which may be part of my problem, but that's because I didn't get perfect GCSE's and I'm worried that wont even get me in. I want something that'll get me a good job if I'm honest because at the end of the day that's what I really want. I did want to do like forensics but people have told me that its a dumb course that won't even get me a job anywhere which put me off. (This another reason why I don't know what I want to do, because whenever I have a sort of idea, people always tell me that I won't get a good job from it...)

If you're not sure, try going to university open days and talking to lecturers in the departments you're interested in. If the course is right for you, you'll know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Asma-A
Helloooo,

Don't stress yourself out about not know what you want to do yet- I didn't officially decide until around June Year 12. Best to actually come to the right decision than to rush it. There are many ways for you to pick the right course: university websites, university taster/open days, friends/family who've been to a certain university or who did a certain course. Work experience is good too and can help you eliminate subjects- for example, I did a week at a hospital and decided afterwards medicine wasn't for me. Also, taking a year out really isn't a bad idea. It gives you an extra year to make the decision and you can apply for internships which you get paid for and boosts your CV - meaning when it comes to applying for graduate jobs, you have work experience as well as a degree. At the end of the day, it's important to look for a subject that you're interested in so if that's forensics, then go for that. If you're concerned about doing it as a degree or want something a bit more general, perhaps something like biochemistry? Your A-Levels work well with that.
Reply 9
Hey thanks for the help, I just wanted to know if maths was necessary for a forensic degree?

Quick Reply

Latest