Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm thinking of doing the ALS course - I'm in final year now, and unfortunately uni has just stopped offering it to final year students. Wondering if its worth trying to get onto one before I start work?

Has anyone been on the course as a student and is it worth doing now?

xx

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, not really. You'll be paying for it out of your own pocket, and it's not a cheap course.

I would wait until your FY1 year when your trust will fund it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree - wait until you're an FY1 when it will be funded (it's >£400 otherwise). Also, the earlier you do it, the earlier you'll have to re-do it (every 4 years). Doing it later in 5th year = redoing it later in CT2, when you're likely going to be stressing about a whole bunch of other things like ARCP, exams...

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others. The earlier you attend these courses the earlier you will have to complete them again. You could ask your first trust whether or not they provide/fund ALS for their FY1 doctors as most do this routinely. You will probably also get more out of it (and pay more attention) once you've spent some time panicking at the bedside of a sick patient...

I would definitely make sure you are happy with BLS before you start working but that's enough for the time being - someone a little more senior should be along soon to start giving drugs...

ReputationRep:
    ALS done as a medical student is very beneficial for your first few months of F1. Don't underestimate the MCQs (which are required to pass ALS btw). I know a few people who failed ALS first time round by not reading the ALS workbook in enough depth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreamer*)
    Hey

I'm thinking of doing the ALS course - I'm in final year now, and unfortunately uni has just stopped offering it to final year students. Wondering if its worth trying to get onto one before I start work?

Has anyone been on the course as a student and is it worth doing now?

xx
    I would try to do ILS rather than ALS if you're desperate to do some form of LS course before graduating. ALS is a requirement for FY2, not FY1, and the extra stuff you get above ILS e.g. pacing, isn't something you'll be doing alone as an FY.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others - of limited benefit to you.

But if your questions is about feasibility and whether or not you'd pass - most of the 'new' stuff is ECGs and even nurses who aren't taught ECGs at all can pass it. When it was compulsory at my med school I don't think anyone ever failed.

(Original post by JOO93)
    ALS done as a medical student is very beneficial for your first few months of F1. Don't underestimate the MCQs (which are required to pass ALS btw). I know a few people who failed ALS first time round by not reading the ALS workbook in enough depth.
    :lolwut: Doctors? Seriously? I didn't even open that workbook it looked too basic...

I think ILS and a cool head under pressure and entirely sufficient for an FY1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I agree with the others - of limited benefit to you.

But if your questions is about feasibility and whether or not you'd pass - most of the 'new' stuff is ECGs and even nurses who aren't taught ECGs at all can pass it. When it was compulsory at my med school I don't think anyone ever failed.

:lolwut: Doctors? Seriously? I didn't even open that workbook it looked too basic...

I think ILS and a cool head under pressure and entirely sufficient for an FY1.
    Absolutely. Save your money! I only knew one person to fail and she qualified outside the UK and frankly all through the practice scenarios she stood out as being poor. I found it quite weird when I recertified as an ST3 with mostly foundation docs, lots of them were worried about failing, and it hadn't really crossed my mind!

ReputationRep:
    It may be worth asking if you can observe. You don't get a certificate but full benefit of lectures and if you are lucky they will allow you also to take part in practicals as opposed to just watching. I have observed in my final year and took ALS as an FY1.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.