Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Problems with UCAS application, could be down to my personal tutor. Watch

ReputationRep:
    this is a very long story, so Ill try to boil it down.

Couldnt attend the first two months of my current course because of financial difficulties. Let the college know at every single step.

Took weeks of asking to even obtain a timetable, let alone the materials I had missed. I kept asking again and again with no answers, until I pretty much demanded it.

My personal tutor is not very respectful and treats me like a child (Im 27, Im not seeing it this way, she literally does talk to me like a toddler.)

So I basically refused to attend her sessions (one every two weeks to sort out the application) as I am very confident in my abilities and I dont appreciate being spoken to like that, if it was a professional relationship then I would endure it, this is not misguided confidence, I am adept at things like this. Wrote my personal statement in an hour and a half and when checked over by masters students and a PHD student, I was told that it was good/perfect. (didnt rewrite a single sentence.)

I emailed her about a problem I was having in how I should set out my modules for my current course, she simply ignored my emails, when she did finally answer after many emails, she replied with "you need to put all of your modules onto your application" which wasnt what I was asking. Had to post a thread on TSR for help as she was blatantly not listening or reading my emails.

Thread is here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4439410

That is almost exactly the same wording I used for the email to the personal tutor. including screenshots.

on the day before the last day of college last year, she returned my application, stating that I hadnt listed the NAMES of the courses I was/had taken on my personal statement (something which many people, her included, told people not to do as the names of the course was already in the "education" section.) as well as the fact that I didnt list my qualification on one of my courses (I didnt because I didnt complete the course, nor was entered into the exams, besides the fact that the UCAS site doesnt let you enter the details if you didnt get a qualification)

So... after a few weeks of my application being sent off, I get an email back from someone at one of the unis Id applied for (coincidentally the uni in the same locale as my current course/current personal tutor.)

They asked me to send a full list of modules to them! when it is on my application! Ive emailed her back and told her this as well as attaching a copy of the list as well to ensure there is no confusion.

My issue is this, Should I send an email to the other two unis letting them know the modules are on the application?

(I take a very well measured approach when suspicious things like this happen, I am not one to jump to conclusions, but as an outsider to this issue, could you see the suspect nature of how the personal tutor could have had some driving influence on this? Or is this a common mistake in the application cycle? It should be noted that she has contacts/works sometimes at the uni in question.)

Thanks if you can help :-)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    this is a very long story, so Ill try to boil it down.

Couldnt attend the first two months of my current course because of financial difficulties. Let the college know at every single step.

Took weeks of asking to even obtain a timetable, let alone the materials I had missed. I kept asking again and again with no answers, until I pretty much demanded it.

My personal tutor is not very respectful and treats me like a child (Im 27, Im not seeing it this way, she literally does talk to me like a toddler.)

So I basically refused to attend her sessions (one every two weeks to sort out the application) as I am very confident in my abilities and I dont appreciate being spoken to like that, if it was a professional relationship then I would endure it, this is not misguided confidence, I am adept at things like this. Wrote my personal statement in an hour and a half and when checked over by masters students and a PHD student, I was told that it was good/perfect. (didnt rewrite a single sentence.)

I emailed her about a problem I was having in how I should set out my modules for my current course, she simply ignored my emails, when she did finally answer after many emails, she replied with "you need to put all of your modules onto your application" which wasnt what I was asking. Had to post a thread on TSR for help as she was blatantly not listening or reading my emails.

Thread is here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4439410

That is almost exactly the same wording I used for the email to the personal tutor. including screenshots.

on the day before the last day of college last year, she returned my application, stating that I hadnt listed the NAMES of the courses I was/had taken on my personal statement (something which many people, her included, told people not to do as the names of the course was already in the "education" section.) as well as the fact that I didnt list my qualification on one of my courses (I didnt because I didnt complete the course, nor was entered into the exams, besides the fact that the UCAS site doesnt let you enter the details if you didnt get a qualification)

So... after a few weeks of my application being sent off, I get an email back from someone at one of the unis Id applied for (coincidentally the uni in the same locale as my current course/current personal tutor.)

They asked me to send a full list of modules to them! when it is on my application! Ive emailed her back and told her this as well as attaching a copy of the list as well to ensure there is no confusion.

My issue is this, Should I send an email to the other two unis letting them know the modules are on the application?

(I take a very well measured approach when suspicious things like this happen, I am not one to jump to conclusions, but as an outsider to this issue, could you see the suspect nature of how the personal tutor could have had some driving influence on this? Or is this a common mistake in the application cycle? It should be noted that she has contacts/works sometimes at the uni in question.)

Thanks if you can help :-)
    The way that Access information comes through from UCAS onto university systems doesn't always include all of the module details you provided.

This isn't a problem with your tutor or your application - it's a problem with the data transfer systems from UCAS and the various databases and setups that universities use.

I'd suggest ringing up all of your choices to ask if they've been able to see your module details from UCAS and if not offer to send those through directly.

Your tutor isn't able to amend or change your education section - that's down to you alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The way that Access information comes through from UCAS onto university systems doesn't always include all of the module details you provided.

This isn't a problem with your tutor or your application - it's a problem with the data transfer systems from UCAS and the various databases and setups that universities use.

I'd suggest ringing up all of your choices to ask if they've been able to see your module details from UCAS and if not offer to send those through directly.

Your tutor isn't able to amend or change your education section - that's down to you alone.
    Righty-ho, I will do that now! Thanks!

No, no, I didnt mean she went through my application and changed it, this personal tutor has been obstructive (I am sending a complaint in once I have returned to college as I have clear evidence that she has not been helpful nor fair.) and I wanted to protect myself. She has deliberately ignored emails of me asking for assignments, I had to resend the email almost ten times before she answered. And when she did she told me to email someone else!

But thank you for your advice, Ill send emails now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.