Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    I wouldn't say it's only my problem. In general, people find it uncomfortable when others cover their faces. Even in places where security isn't particularly important, walking around with a covered face is frowned upon. I'm sure many people would find it very uncomfortable walking past someone wearing all black and in a balaclava. I'm just applying this same logic to the burka. Just because it's supposedly part of a religion, it doesn't get immunity from this.

You can't get away with doing things just by crying "it's my religion". As you'd like to say, 'that's your problem'. It's a very slippery slope. Someone could argue walking around naked is part of their religion. Obviously, it's a complete contrast and not comparable but there has to be laws and boundaries in a country regardless of peoples superstitions.
    Of course there have to be laws and boundaries, rather than a total free-for-all as to what you can wear. However I'm saying that, while it might be necessary to enforce certain dress codes, banning the burqa needn't be one of them.

Simply to say "it makes me feel uncomfortable" isn't really much of a reason to ban something, because anybody can say that about anything. So naturally we don't usually go by the principle that as soon as an item of clothing makes a certain number of people a little uncomfortable we ban it.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Oh no, how awful, those emigrating to Germany will have to actual adapt to the culture there.
    --
    Though I do suspect this is an attempt from her to try and ensure she doesn't lose all of her party to the AfD (which is borderline impossible anyway based on how far behind they are in polls).
    Indeed. She's still going to be Chancellor come the election. Just a matter of gaining as many seats as possible and working out what coalition needs to be formed as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Of course there have to be laws and boundaries, rather than a total free-for-all as to what you can wear. However I'm saying that, while it might be necessary to enforce certain dress codes, banning the burqa needn't be one of them.

Simply to say "it makes me feel uncomfortable" isn't really much of a reason to ban something, because anybody can say that about anything. So naturally we don't usually go by the principle that as soon as an item of clothing makes a certain number of people a little uncomfortable we ban it.
    No we don't go by that principle and rightly so. But you're trying to make out the burka is just a casual piece of clothing. I'm sure you'd agree being covered head to toe in all black is pretty drastic.

The point I'm trying to get across is this - ignore Islam for a second and imagine this scenario. If people started covering their whole body and face with a black cloth, how long would it take for security or police to stop them? In a scenario where religion didn't exist, the answer is not very long. My point is that they're getting special treatment because they're calling it their religion. And in my eyes, it's unethical to have a special privilege just because you claim it's your religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    No we don't go by that principle and rightly so. But you're trying to make out the burka is just a casual piece of clothing. I'm sure you'd agree being covered head to toe in all black is pretty drastic.

The point I'm trying to get across is this - ignore Islam for a second and imagine this scenario. If people started covering their whole body and face with a black cloth, how long would it take for security or police to stop them? In a scenario where religion didn't exist, the answer is not very long. My point is that they're getting special treatment because they're calling it their religion. And in my eyes, it's unethical to have a special privilege just because you claim it's your religion.
    In a scenario where religion didn't exist, police might be quick to stop people wearing the Burqa because they wouldn't know what a Burqa is, would probably never have seen one before and would have every reason to be suspicious that the purpose of it might be to commit a crime with a hidden identity.

The Burqa is worn for religious reasons - that doesn't mean special privileges are being given just because it's religion, but that police are more comfortable with it, have seen them many times before, and are aware that it is commonly worn for perfectly innocent reasons.

People dress in all kinds of strange things on Halloween and police don't stop them; not because there's some kind of special privilege for Halloween, but just because there's less reason to suspect that anything untoward is happening when you're aware of the purpose of that attire in cultural context.

ReputationRep:
    German sounds x1000 times better with an authoritarian tone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.