Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've attempted this question so many times and my answer is always slightly off. I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong. Please could someone have a go?

I've attached a picture with the necessary information. The rod was held horizontally and released from rest. The question asks to find the linear velocity of A at the bottom of its path. According to the textbook, the correct answer is 1.46m/s. Thanks

Name:  IMG_20170105_153228193.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  496.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhyM23)
    I've attempted this question so many times and my answer is always slightly off. I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong. Please could someone have a go?

I've attached a picture with the necessary information. The rod was held horizontally and released from rest. The question asks to find the linear velocity of A at the bottom of its path. According to the textbook, the correct answer is 1.46m/s. Thanks
    Is it possible that you post your working?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    Is it possible that you post your working?
    Of course. Here you go
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Here you go
    Can clarify about the length of the rod:
    in the first post, the separation between the mass A and B is l but in the 3rd posting, the separation becomes 2l.
    So which is the correct data?

ReputationRep:
    Can clarify about the length of the rod:
    in the first post, the separation between the mass A and B is l but in the 3rd posting, the separation becomes 2l.
    So which is the correct data?
    Yes my apologies. The length of the rod is 0.8m. I used different notation on different occasions which is where the confusion lies. So in the second case, 2l=0.8m so l=0.4m

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Here you go
    It seems that you are mixing two different speeds together: the speed of the rod and mass.

I suggest you work on the angular speed omega and use it to compute the linear speed of mass A.

I can get 1.46 m/s.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that you are mixing two different speeds together: the speed of the rod and mass.

I suggest you work on the angular speed omega and use it to compute the linear speed of mass A.

I can get 1.46 m/s.
    Thank you for having a go. I've tried that I believe but I think I'm confused which energies I should use. Please may you show your working?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for having a go. I've tried that I believe but I think I'm confused which energies I should use. Please may you show your working?
    Change in PE = Change in KE

Change in PE =  (m_A - m_B)g(\frac{l}{2})

Change in KE =  \frac{1}{2}m_A (\frac{l}{2})^2 \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_B (\frac{l}{2})^2 \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2} I_{rod} \omega^2

I_{rod} = \frac{1}{12} M_{rod} l^2

I am using the first post info.
     l = 0.8 m

You should be able to use the two equations to find  \omega and find the linear speed.

ReputationRep:
    Change in PE = Change in KE

Change in PE =  (m_A - m_B)g(\frac{l}{2})

Change in KE =  \frac{1}{2}m_A (\frac{l}{2})^2 \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_B (\frac{l}{2})^2 \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2} I_{rod} \omega^2

I_{rod} = \frac{1}{12} M_{rod} l^2

I am using the first post info.
     l = 0.8 m

You should be able to use the two equations to find  \omega and find the linear speed.
    May I ask why you use the moment of inertia of the rod and not the whole system?

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why you use the moment of inertia of the rod and not the whole system?
    How do you find the moment of inertia of the whole system?

ReputationRep:
    How do you find the moment of inertia of the whole system?
    I did I_{rod} + m_{A}l^{2} + m_{B}l^{2}

Where l is the distance from each mass to the centre.

ReputationRep:
    I did I_{rod} + m_{A}l^{2} + m_{B}l^{2}

Where l is the distance from each mass to the centre.
    Then you are double counting the KE of A and B based on your working.

ReputationRep:
    Then you are double counting the KE of A and B based on your working.
    Ah yes so I am. Thank you very much for your help; I really appreciate it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.