• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I do feel a major issue is not having a way to report things directly to the CAs dedicated to the forum. I've reported quite a few threads that need moving myself recently, and of course they all end up bypassing the CAs and going to the paid staff. And to be honest, the response time for post reports (in F38) just seems really poor compared to 5+ years ago.
    It's not just in F38 - even reports about users talking about self harm and suicide take 24 hours to get looked at now
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I do feel a major issue is not having a way to report things directly to the CAs dedicated to the forum. I've reported quite a few threads that need moving myself recently, and of course they all end up bypassing the CAs and going to the paid staff. And to be honest, the response time for post reports (in F38) just seems really poor compared to 5+ years ago.

The frustrating thing is that TSR seem to be far more bothered about "content creation" than actually enabling people to manage the forum. As you say, moving threads is time consuming, but it's not particularly hard, and this forum has quite a few posters who are trustworthy and would be perfectly capable of moving stuff, removing solutions etc. But I think far fewer would be prepared to put up things like being nagged about content creation.
    Agreed, I think putting pressure to create content in an area like maths would just result in contrived content. Things like the Year 13 maths thread or hard integral thread are great but there's only so many that you can make and there is no need to make other kind of content - I don't think there is a huge demand for this!

I think it's trying to have a one-fits-all kind of criteria that may work well in chat or forum games when it comes to content creation but just doesn't apply to maths. :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    A couple of ideas for making it possible for CAs to remove posts

In the PS advice area we have a forum available for the PS reviewers only - so any threads/posts for obvious deletion can be moved there by the PS helpers (who have thread/post moving/merging and sticky/unsticky powers).

There is also a little used adviser forum and the old ask a PS CA forums which could be used for targeted reports/conversations with the CA/mod team. Those forums are like AtCT so posters can only see their own threads.

Would it be worth having a maths specific subforum along these lines that
    a) maths regulars can use to report full solutions posts or mathematical trolling directly to the maths CA/ST members
    b) anyone posting full solutions could have their posts moved into so that someone from the CA could thank them for trying to help but explain why full solutions aren't helpful/point them at the guidelines (I don't know what the card is like for people who get one for full solutions but making it clear help=good/welcome and explaining the best ways to help is the only way to stop repeat offenders and turn them into contributors).
    These sound like good ideas: we used to have a special mod-only forum we'd move posts/threads into if we wanted to hide them without actually destroying content - but that was 6 years ago and I couldn't remember exactly how it worked so didn't really want to suggest it.

Being able to "quarantine" posts would defiinitely be helpful (and I think has been suggested a few times in the thread).

It's a bit labour intensive but then stuff like this always is - that's why it's a good idea to have as many CAs as possible
    Ayup.

It's not just in F38 - even reports about users talking about self harm and suicide take 24 hours to get looked at now
    That's awful

ReputationRep:
    Intimidated.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Agreed, I think putting pressure to create content in an area like maths would just result in contrived content. Things like the Year 13 maths thread or hard integral thread are great but there's only so many that you can make and there is no need to make other kind of content - I don't think there is a huge demand for this!

I think it's trying to have a one-fits-all kind of criteria that may work well in chat or forum games when it comes to content creation but just doesn't apply to maths. :hide:
    Totally agree with you. What works in one forum does not necessarily work in others
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    There’s such a lot here to think about and so many ideas and comments … we’re going to hold discussion and get back to you again as soon as we can with some concrete proposals and to clear up one or two misconceptions floating around. We almost certainly won’t be able to do everything suggested but I am confident that together we can improve things.

Reading the posts, two key areas to address are

- More clarity about roles and permission
    - Providing Community Assistants in the Maths forum with the tools they need to manage discussions

There will be more.

Thanks again to everyone who’s contributed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.