Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, Im looking at applying to American universitys next year (2018 admission). After doing some research and practice I have found I am much better at, and find the ACT a lot easier than the SAT. From my own research it was rather unclear but I was wondering whether the universitys look at them the same or prefer the SAT. (Im looking at applying to Stanford, univeristy of Chicago, Columbia and a few more). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    All US universities (at least the top ones) treat the SAT and the ACT the same. They test different things though, ie only the ACT has a science section where you answer questions on different experiments. The ACT is know n to be slightly easier for British students, maybe because A levels give a better grounding in science/math than standalone American high school courses.

You should check the college standardised test requirements, but some ask for the ACT with writing and some are ok with the standalone ACT. Also you should aim to do 2 SAT subject tests if you can for most high ranking colleges depending on your strengths, although some colleges like Columbia have said you don't need them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parsw001)
    Hey guys, Im looking at applying to American universitys next year (2018 admission). After doing some research and practice I have found I am much better at, and find the ACT a lot easier than the SAT. From my own research it was rather unclear but I was wondering whether the universitys look at them the same or prefer the SAT. (Im looking at applying to Stanford, univeristy of Chicago, Columbia and a few more). Thanks
    They are effectively the same. Previous poster mentioned the Science section, but note that the ACT Science section requires effectively no knowledge of science. It's more of a reading exercise than anything.

There is no preference from unis between them, but I can summarise the difference like this.

ACT: Questions are straightforward, methodology difficult
    SAT: Questions are less straightforward (require more thought), methodology less difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I took the ACT + Writing (and 3 Subject Tests)

My advice:

If you are better at the ACT take the ACT. Try the writing part too, some universities allow the ACT plus writing in lieu of SAT subject tests. However Prepscholar blog has an amazing list of the test scores that every high ranking university needs. Be aware that some universities don't use Score Choice, so all the ACT tests you take have to be reported to your university.

Arborbridge is a company that coaches you in the ACT. I wouldn't personally pay the extortionate amounts for their tutoring but they offer a free test under exam conditions where they score it for you. Take it (+ writing)and see how it goes!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.