The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Poll

Should women get a day off work for their period?

So in Zambia women are allowed to take a day off for their period once a month, also known as 'Mother's Day'. :borat:

This day doesn't have to be taken on 'day one' - it can be taken at any time of the month when ladies feel their menstrual cycle is interrupting their work (e.g. stomach cramps/back aches leading up to etc). (Read it in full here)

Unsurprisingly, this has stirred up a lot of criticism from both males and females!

As much as it sounds like a good idea... what if 10 female employees all decide to take their 'Mother's Day' on the same day?! Workplaces could crumble :zomg:

Do you think this law is something that should be practiced in England/other countries? :hmmmm:

Or maybe you're completely against the idea?! :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Periods last a week so it should be a week off once a month!
#girlpower
:mob:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Well, it can be done. But expect even lower pay rates. Women already have wage gap due to obvious reasons such as pregnancies which causes a little less experience in the industry therefor lower pay and a few others. But i would say no.
Original post by Waiser
Well, it can be done. But expect even lower pay rates. Women already have wage gap due to obvious reasons such as pregnancies which causes a little less experience in the industry therefor lower pay and a few others. But i would say no.

do they though
Only if you don't complain about earning less later.
No. Take a normal sick day if it is that bad.
Oh please. I hate going anywhere when I'm on, just wanaa lie in bed at home. :colonhash:
But then again, we gotta do what we gotta do so if it's really bad just take a day off but holidays would be kinda unfair.
(edited 7 years ago)
Use BC, then you don't have to deal with that BS. :h:
Reply 8
no they shouldnt be given it
Only if men get a day/week off for their periods.
Reply 10
Original post by XOR_
Only if men get a day/week off for their periods.

And it would be called Father's Day :smug:
Original post by discobish

Do you think this law is something that should be practiced in England/other countries? :hmmmm:

Yes it should, but only for women with doctor's letters confirming that they experience severe pain on periods. I know people who have very mild periods. Others, like me, ended up literally screaming in agony while horizontal with contractions :pinch: In my case I think it's wrong to have to have days like that come out of my holiday and paycheck when I can't help my gender.
The same applies for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. We can do more to make provisions for them.
Yes I think they should if they have doctor notes as supporting evidence of heavy periods. I've always been lucky that my period cramps are usually mild and very rarely do I have agonising pains, like many women sadly do. This could be because I have a bowel condition so I'm already used to cramp like pains anyway. I wouldn't expect to have or take a day off for my period, personally but I would take a day off for a bowel flare up.
Yes! Although I think their situation should be assessed by a doctor first because some women feel fine on their periods whereas others genuinely feel really ill (painful cramps, feeling lightheaded, fatigue, lethargy, nausea, dangerous mood swings etc etc).
If they have doctors note then yes.
Otherwise no.
Definitely not
I think it depends on whether the person wants a day off or not and how bad their periods get. I probably wouldn't take a day off for my period - they don't really affect me that much. Unless I was being really lazy and just wanted an excuse to take a day off.
The only time this should be law is if there's evidence provided by a doctor that the woman's periods are seriously debilitating for whatever reason.

For just any old period, it's a nice thing for companies to do but it shouldn't be made law. If the woman is totally capable of working that day and the company can't really afford to lose labour then it's unfair to force the company to give them a day off anyway.
No way
Reply 19
Original post by KyleH123
do they though

Sure, there is a wage gap. Its just not an "unfair" wage gap. Its not to do with sexism either. I am not a feminist, because todays feminist have broken the definition and the meaning of the words. egalitarianism is the more correct word.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending