Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should women get a day off work for their period? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should women get a day off work for their period?
    Yes, it's about time!
    44.05%
    No way!
    55.95%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    got proof?

+why make this about periods? why not make this about migraines? surely that is fairer to both genders?
    Saucy sauce: https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-.../menstruation/

Because periods can trigger migraines. And period pain can be, in and of itself, extremely painful. Incapacitating. A migraine or intense period pain alone is a valid enough reason to miss a day of work, but I can only imagine what it's like for a woman who experiences them in combination.

So, yes, it's still about periods in this context.

If your migraines are awful, I don't deny that you should be accommodated for. This isn't a competition, so why do you feel threatened by this proposal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    If you really had migraine, there's no way you'd be able to go to work.
    Rubbish, migraines are for pussys you should try a cluster headache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Saucy sauce: https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-.../menstruation/

"Around 50% of women with migraine say their menstrual cycle directly affects their migraine."
    fine then - "around" 50% of women get migraines through periods
    but that's not to say that 50% of women get migraines EVERY TIME they have a period. merely, if they were ever to have a migraine, it would be associated with a period. so essentially, that still makes migraines and periods distinct in that one does not necessarily cause the other.

Because periods can trigger migraines. And period pain can be, in and of itself, extremely painful. Incapacitating.
    so we're not talking about periods, again. we're talking about migraines.
    if you want to talk about the effects of periods then talk about that separately because you are unnecessarily linking to two. only half of women, or "around" half (probably rounding up) get migraines through periods, and it's obvious that it isn't persistent

A migraine or intense period pain alone is a valid enough reason to miss a day of work, but I can only imagine what it's like for a woman who experiences them in combination.

So, yes, it's still about periods in this context.
    so that's not about periods, that's about illness. if you have a migraine, the period is essentially irrelevant, because it's the MIGRAINE that causes you to not be well enough for work. the period is not decisive. the exception would be if all periods trigger migraines, and they do not. only 50% of women get migraines if they ever actually do via a period - that's not to say all their periods do this. so why is it a "period law"?

If your migraines are awful, I don't deny that you should be accommodated for. This isn't a competition, so why do you feel threatened by this proposal?
    well I'm not going to be accommodated for a migraine as a male, am I. this is about women and periods, not migraine periods. and whenever women get a special privilege, men don't get it, or at least: they don't get it for a very long time. for instance, only just recently have the retirement ages between men and women become equal. only just recently. after all these generations and generations - only just now are men getting equality. but each time the state takes a step forward in this respect, they usually take two steps back, i.e. stripping male abuse shelters of their funding, or making men guilty until proven innocent in allegations of rape cases.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Kinda ridiculous, yeah its bad but nothing a couple of ibuprofen can't solve.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by liberty cap)
    Rubbish, migraines are for pussys you should try a cluster headache.
    Yes, that's why they put me on drugs given to people with epilepsy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's why they put me on drugs given to people with epilepsy.
    Not sure what your point is. Many people continue to work while suffering with migraines, you should try it sometime.

ReputationRep:
    Can you take a class in female anatomy, because you clearly don't know how periods work?
    Coal miners have a job more physically demanding than your anatomy. Do they take days off because of their exhaustion?

ReputationRep:
    Men have jobs that are more physically demanding and exhausting than all your periods combined. I don't see them taking days off.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Men have jobs that are more physically demanding and exhausting than all your periods combined. I don't see them taking days off.
    What, all men?

ReputationRep:
    What, all men?
    What, all girls have burning period pain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    So in Zambia women are allowed to take a day off for their period once a month, also known as 'Mother's Day'. :borat:

This day doesn't have to be taken on 'day one' - it can be taken at any time of the month when ladies feel their menstrual cycle is interrupting their work (e.g. stomach cramps/back aches leading up to etc). (Read it in full here)

Unsurprisingly, this has stirred up a lot of criticism from both males and females!

As much as it sounds like a good idea... what if 10 female employees all decide to take their 'Mother's Day' on the same day?! Workplaces could crumble :zomg:

Do you think this law is something that should be practiced in England/other countries? :hmmmm:

Or maybe you're completely against the idea?! :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

I am woman . I myself voted no.
    Since the time women were allowed to work in general (past) and than work in higher position or better career choice.(present and future).
    They never stopped having there period every month...

So why this generations wants a day off?

First of all, it usually don't last a day and for many of us we don't feel pain.
    Yes we can get sick or extra moody but thats flexible meaning it doesn't happen every month.

I voted no , as its not always sickness or pain or moody. We can be pretty normal
    So why all of a sudden ,you want to add extra privilege...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    No , i may be a dude , but if it is really that bad that you need a day off , then get a note from your doctor and then they are pretty much legally bound , also if this were to be a thing , lets use an example , lets use a PR team , where more women than men are employed , if all the women in a PR team were to take a day off on the same day (or even a large percentage) , the company would fall apart, its entire PR department would almost shut down because of this , it just doesent work , however , this is a good concept. Also , im all for gender equality , but this basically puts feminists out of businees because if this were to go ahead , it would be the other way around , as this isnt fair to men as they do not get a day off every month.

ReputationRep:
    Only if

-No pay
    -Can be grounds to fire if done often or effects work badly.

Unless it is proven by a doctors note that it is causing cripping pain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Yes I think they should if they have doctor notes as supporting evidence of heavy periods. I've always been lucky that my period cramps are usually mild and very rarely do I have agonising pains, like many women sadly do. This could be because I have a bowel condition so I'm already used to cramp like pains anyway. I wouldn't expect to have or take a day off for my period, personally but I would take a day off for a bowel flare up.
    That's not what is being proposed though. Some women experience a lot of pain and discomfort, but they fall into a different category. I don't think women should get a day off as a matter of course.

ReputationRep:
    fine then - "around" 50% of women get migraines through periods
    but that's not to say that 50% of women get migraines EVERY TIME they have a period. merely, if they were ever to have a migraine, it would be associated with a period. so essentially, that still makes migraines and periods distinct in that one does not necessarily cause the other.

so we're not talking about periods, again. we're talking about migraines.
    if you want to talk about the effects of periods then talk about that separately because you are unnecessarily linking to two. only half of women, or "around" half (probably rounding up) get migraines through periods, and it's obvious that it isn't persistent

so that's not about periods, that's about illness. if you have a migraine, the period is essentially irrelevant, because it's the MIGRAINE that causes you to not be well enough for work. the period is not decisive. the exception would be if all periods trigger migraines, and they do not. only 50% of women get migraines if they ever actually do via a period - that's not to say all their periods do this. so why is it a "period law"?

well I'm not going to be accommodated for a migraine as a male, am I. this is about women and periods, not migraine periods. and whenever women get a special privilege, men don't get it, or at least: they don't get it for a very long time. for instance, only just recently have the retirement ages between men and women become equal. only just recently. after all these generations and generations - only just now are men getting equality. but each time the state takes a step forward in this respect, they usually take two steps back, i.e. stripping male abuse shelters of their funding, or making men guilty until proven innocent in allegations of rape cases.
    Throughout this whole response you have entirely neglected to take into account the fact that I mentioned period pain, in and of itself, can be extremely painful. We're not just talking about migraines here.

ReputationRep:
    you're saying it was garbage yet logical? I just can't win here can I if I'm being insulted for being logical

I gave you a full reply because I wasn't going to ignore your questions - but now you're ignoring my answers? can't help you fam
    I meant the logic was garbage.

As I said, I won't read on if your address starts with fallacious reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Throughout this whole response you have entirely neglected to take into account the fact that I mentioned period pain, in and of itself, can be extremely painful. We're not just talking about migraines here.
    Indeed sleepy repeatedly writes essays as responses, while not actually answering or wrongly and only briefly addressing the point. His essays are pure distraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I meant the logic was garbage.

As I said, I won't read on if your address starts with fallacious reasoning.
    then, for ****'s sake kid, prove to me that what I said was illogical
    can you please just do this for god's sake?
    could you maybe?
    yeah?
    back up your claims?
    back up your ****ing claims?
    because right now, you're looking like you're all bark and no ****ing bite
    so have the ****ing common sense to prove you're not braindead and prove that what I said was illogical
    now.

ReputationRep:
    okay, and?
    even if we're taking you at your word - isn't that simply something you'll have to deal with? how is it different from a guy who gets stomach aches frequently or any kind of illness frequently?
    do you think you're entitled enough to skip work for it and pass the buck of the costs to the employer?
    do you think that's going to make your gender more employable? to complain about your periods and decide not to work due to it?
    I just don't see the reasoning here, and I *definitely* don't ever hear any other woman claiming that they can't work due to period migraines. something tells me that this is really not very common

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Indeed sleepy repeatedly writes essays as responses, while not actually answering or wrongly and only briefly addressing the point. His essays are pure distraction.
    why don't you two get a room before you start getting into public displays of affection?
    lol and mate, I gave you a full answer because I knew you'd tell me I wasn't answering you otherwise. and now you're ****ing spinning it around as if I'm "distracting" you by answering your own ****ing question?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.