Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should women get a day off work for their period? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should women get a day off work for their period?
    Yes, it's about time!
    44.02%
    No way!
    55.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    that had ****ing NOTHING to do with what I was talking about though.
    Men are disproportionately homeless hence male privilege does not exist.

Ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)

Ok.
    mate
    I listed you ****ing LOADS of ways men are culturally and legally disadvantaged, didn't I.

don't be so ****ing dishonest with me.

ReputationRep:

Ok.
    surely you must accept that if one race is more likely to be homeless, which is the OPPOSITE of privilege, or more likely to commit suicide, or more likely to be assaulted, or massively more likely to be mutilated at birth, or more likely to be seen as paedophiles, or having no reproductive rights, or having a higher retirement age and therefore a lower pension, or not having the law protect them against "rape", or a court system that discriminates against them in both criminal AND family law (custody, marriage, incarceration, etc), or being convicted of false rape charges, that is symptomatic of a LACK of privilege? literally: what world do you live in where THIS^ looks like "privilege" you daft ****
    look at that.

ReputationRep:
    sleepysnooze PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustThatStudent)
    Nope, we can still live life as normal while we're on our period.
    Just take some pain killers and get on with it!!!
    Yes, so long as normal means having access to a toilet every hour and a half. There are some jobs where that isn't very practical.

ReputationRep:
    look at that.
    You put the rest after or, your qualifier was for homelessness alone. So the lesson for you is to be more precise.

And the rest is just a joke. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    You put the rest after or, your qualifier was for homelessness alone. So the lesson for you is to be more precise.

And the rest is just a joke. Lol.
    that wasn't a qualifier - that was ONE EXAMPLE! when did I say it was my sole qualifier?
    why would I assume you of having a one-dimensional view of privilege if I myself was only relying on one dimension? I don't understand your reasoning at all here.
    and why do you think the rest are a joke??

ReputationRep:
    that wasn't a qualifier - that was ONE EXAMPLE! when did I say it was my sole qualifier?
    why would I assume you of having a one-dimensional view of privilege if I myself was only relying on one dimension? I don't understand your reasoning at all here.
    and why do you think the rest are a joke??
    sufferers of violence and perpetrators...

ReputationRep:
    why don't you two just get a room?

ReputationRep:
    And, you know what would make life with a period so much easier? If you could be open about it. If you could stand up in a meeting and say "sorry guys I'll be back in a sec I'm leaking" and have someone throw you a tampon across the room instead of muttering something about needing the loo and scuttling back to your desk to get your handbag that you only carry once a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artjen)
    And, you know what would make life with a period so much easier? If you could be open about it. If you could stand up in a meeting and say "sorry guys I'll be back in a sec I'm leaking" and have someone throw you a tampon across the room instead of muttering something about needing the loo and scuttling back to your desk to get your handbag that you only carry once a month.
    Nobody wants to hear about leaking vaginas. In fact, nobody wants to hear about any leaking orifice in the lower half of person's body. Especially not in meetings. There's such a thing as too much information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artjen)
    But why do you have to give a reason, especially if nobody asked? You don't say 'sorry guys I'll be back, going for a poo' you'd just say that you're going to the toilet

ReputationRep:
    sufferers of violence and perpetrators...
    yeah, men suffer from violence more than women do, actually. take a look at crime statistics, for once, you absolute dope

ReputationRep:
    I miss the Burgers or Pizza polls

ReputationRep:
    No, as a woman it is something that occurs due to nature. I know that should favour the argument to have it, but the chaos it would cause is indescribable- as it happens to every woman. The idea is nice but at the end of the day if you have pain so bad that you want a day off work, you should take it off as sick leave anyway. I actually feel better when I am at school than at home as I am distracted from the pain, though I guess I don't have that bad period cramps. I do understand though that some women have a lot of pain, but conversely some lucky sods get no pain at all (I was one of them until two years ago) and it wouldn't be fair for them to get a free day off work.

ReputationRep:
    in one way i think yes because women are always multi tasking between work outwside and household work of cooking and cleaning and its important for them to get a time to relax well not the whole week but 2/3 days off. But then come to think of it it is not fair because y should it b different for women and men. but then there is still the idea of a man being paid more than a woman. thats still unfair
    so howd it make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily think it should be a set day off, but absolutely the option should be there. Work is changing, 9-5 is an archaic idea, hours are becoming flexible, it should be a possibility. Having a period that affects you so badly that you cannot work should be treated as any other health condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    But why do you have to give a reason, especially if nobody asked? You don't say 'sorry guys I'll be back, going for a poo' you'd just say that you're going to the toilet
    Fair enough, well being able to say "sorry I can't go to that event because I need to be in easy reach of a toilet all day even though usually I seem to be able to cope" or "I need to go home right now because I've run out of tampons" or even ask openly if anyone's got any spare. Yes there is such a thing as TMI, but there you go, something painful and inconvenient happens to women every month that they can't talk about because it's taboo, or TMI.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, men suffer from violence more than women do, actually. take a look at crime statistics, for once, you absolute dope
    And who perpetrates all this violence?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Nobody wants to hear about leaking vaginas. In fact, nobody wants to hear about any leaking orifice in the lower half of person's body. Especially not in meetings. There's such a thing as too much information.
    As a female, I'd rather you didn't know. There's a time and a place for such things. A meeting isn't one of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.