Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should women get a day off work for their period? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should women get a day off work for their period?
    Yes, it's about time!
    44.02%
    No way!
    55.98%

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Use BC, then you don't have to deal with that BS.
    Not everybody can safely use it, I mean there's other drugs which can decrease bleeding as well but then unlike bc you have to pay for them.
    I think like any medical condition if you have a note you should be able to get it as a sick day like normal company rules (which with statutory sick pay means an unpaid day off) but I think if it's not treated like any other illness men could have a case for positive discrimination and it would only put off companies from hiring women because of it.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Not everybody can safely use it, I mean there's other drugs which can decrease bleeding as well but then unlike bc you have to pay for them.
    I think like any medical condition if you have a note you should be able to get it as a sick day like normal company rules (which with statutory sick pay means an unpaid day off) but I think if it's not treated like any other illness men could have a case for positive discrimination and it would only put off companies from hiring women because of it.
    I was messing, I agree with you though.

But, I didn't know that you had to pay for bc, I never have. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel like it'd be right to give every women a day off once a month but I do fully support calling in sick for as long as necessary if it were severely impacting your ability to work. Of course this is not necessarily something you can check and would likely be abused. I also feel like there are some moral issues with tracking if someone takes a sick day due to their period.

I'm no expert but I'm going to assume all women suffer differently, and indeed that each cycle may cause different levels of discomfort or pain. If you just make it a blanket day off for women then those who don't suffer so much get a free day off. That doesn't exactly encourage equality. Equally I'm sure there are women opposed to the idea that they "must take a day off, as they are too frail to handle their periods". There isn't really a solution that doesn't offend people or one that can't be abused. But I would also imagine for a lot of people it isn't serious to warrant a solution. For those who are severely affected I would fully support taking as many days off as necessary. Equally be aware though of just what that will do. Regardless of equality and rights, if you have to take a week off every moth then you aren't going to be a valuable worker.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should get more holiday than men for this reason, it could be too much to handle and there's point coming in if you can't be productive so staying home and relaxing for the next day could be a better idea. I guess either that or they should be given a lighter work load. I think by having like a 7-8? day holiday limit you decease the chance of it happening since it's unlikely they all have it at the same time and have awful pains at the same time. I'm a guy so I'm not a pro on this topic but it sounds like a good idea

ReputationRep:
    No
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I was messing, I agree with you though.

But, I didn't know that you had to pay for bc, I never have. :confused:
    Sorry you don't, I mean say you can't take bc but want to take say tanexamic acid to decrease the bleeding then you have to pay for that despite both making periods more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    No. If you are in too much pain to work take a sick day. If you want a jolly up at home take a holiday.

You can't give special privileges to one gender. I'd just put my gender down as woman and accuse anyone who questioned it of transphobia.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you don't, I mean say you can't take bc but want to take say tanexamic acid to decrease the bleeding then you have to pay for that despite both making periods more comfortable.
    Ah right. I wonder why you have to pay?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Because they aren't used for contraceptive purposes, I guess the government is bothered about not having a too high birth rate but not about pms and the like.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on how severe your period is. I think to have one day off every month is kind of excessive, I have very severe cramps but sometimes you just have to suck up and go; but at same time, it can be really hard to deal with, so I guess it should be kind of like sick leave- if it's terrible, have a day off once in a while.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because they aren't used for contraceptive purposes, I guess the government is bothered about not having a too high birth rate but not about pms and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Yes it should, but only for women with doctor's letters confirming that they experience severe pain on periods. I know people who have very mild periods. Others, like me, ended up literally screaming in agony while horizontal with contractions :pinch: In my case I think it's wrong to have to have days like that come out of my holiday and paycheck when I can't help my gender.
    The same applies for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. We can do more to make provisions for them.
    Take sick leave then - that doesn't come out of your pay cheque.

ReputationRep:
    Can male workers take a day off because they're tired?

ReputationRep:
    Only if I get the day off each time I get a boner.

ReputationRep:
    Same reason people with angina have to pay for their meds
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haprybeingright)
    Same reason people with angina have to pay for their meds
    I've never had to pay for my meds for my heart condition. weird.

ReputationRep:
    If women have managed to go to school, college and university 30/31 days a month on their period, why does this suddenly need to change when they enter work?

If enough whine for such a thing, the day should be unpaid.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I've never had to pay for my meds for my heart condition. weird.
    You have a medical exemption card either that or you live in Scotland or Wales
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You have a medical exemption card either that or you live in Scotland or Wales
    I live in England haha.

I must have an exemption card then, but I've never known about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.