Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of uni at the end of 1st year because my depression and anxiety were getting too much for me. I was doing okay until the start of the 2nd term but as I gained more "freshers weight" I became more depressed (due to my BDD) and would stay in my room for days on end & binge alone - no one knew I was having such a difficult time so I felt extremely isolated and would skip seminars because I hated the thought of having to go out and talk to people.

I met my bf at that period and he, having gone through severe depression himself, was understanding and made my decision of dropping out much easier. Since then I have been living with him and working in retail and have started exercising and improving my fitness. Any time that isn't used working or exercising is just spent watching netflix when I should have been spending it practicing my music but I've just been really lazy and depressed.

I am in the process of reapplying to uni for the same course (music) but at a uni in my home town of London. However I'm feeling really lost because I don't know what career I want in the future and I'm not sure whether this degree would help.
    I have always wanted to be a singer or be in the music business but I lack the social interaction skills and confidence you need.

And it's not like I'm desperate to go back to uni, the main reason I want to go is to prove to myself and everyone else that I can finish a degree. I have always been above average intellectually and musically and was used to getting good grades but that was all I ever strived for and now I'm left not knowing what I want to do.
    I feel like I've failed not only myself but my parents who painted this picture to everyone that I was an amazing A-student with great prospects and career ahead of herself which I've messed up, and I feel like I've lived a sheltered life where I have book-smarts but have no street-smarts.

I'm excited for the opportunity to sing in choirs and perform again etc (so the perks of being at uni) but I don't know if I have the motivation to study... I didn't like how vague everything was at uni - I was always confused about what I was meant to do, how I was meant to do it, what was expected of me. Or maybe I couldn't handle the independence...

Is returning to uni only to prove to myself & others that I can finish a degree a stupid reason? And should I get counselling for my mental health issues before even considering going back?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by viiixvia)
    I dropped out of uni at the end of 1st year because my depression and anxiety were getting too much for me. I was doing okay until the start of the 2nd term but as I gained more "freshers weight" I became more depressed (due to my BDD) and would stay in my room for days on end & binge alone - no one knew I was having such a difficult time so I felt extremely isolated and would skip seminars because I hated the thought of having to go out and talk to people.

I met my bf at that period and he, having gone through severe depression himself, was understanding and made my decision of dropping out much easier. Since then I have been living with him and working in retail and have started exercising and improving my fitness. Any time that isn't used working or exercising is just spent watching netflix when I should have been spending it practicing my music but I've just been really lazy and depressed.

I am in the process of reapplying to uni for the same course (music) but at a uni in my home town of London. However I'm feeling really lost because I don't know what career I want in the future and I'm not sure whether this degree would help.
    I have always wanted to be a singer or be in the music business but I lack the social interaction skills and confidence you need.

And it's not like I'm desperate to go back to uni, the main reason I want to go is to prove to myself and everyone else that I can finish a degree. I have always been above average intellectually and musically and was used to getting good grades but that was all I ever strived for and now I'm left not knowing what I want to do.
    I feel like I've failed not only myself but my parents who painted this picture to everyone that I was an amazing A-student with great prospects and career ahead of herself which I've messed up, and I feel like I've lived a sheltered life where I have book-smarts but have no street-smarts.

I'm excited for the opportunity to sing in choirs and perform again etc (so the perks of being at uni) but I don't know if I have the motivation to study... I didn't like how vague everything was at uni - I was always confused about what I was meant to do, how I was meant to do it, what was expected of me. Or maybe I couldn't handle the independence...

Is returning to uni only to prove to myself & others that I can finish a degree a stupid reason? And should I get counselling for my mental health issues before even considering going back?

You can only get so much university funding (yes there's compelling personal reasons but there's a limit to that) so since you aren't 100% if this degree choice will help your future, i think you shouldn't go back yet. If you can it be in the best health possible before you start again then it gives you the best position you can be in to get the best grades.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people drop out and go back. It's perfectly normal.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to go back to university this year if you are not ready. I would recommend trying to get help for anxiety/depression before uni if possible too, it would definitely make your experience a lot more enjoyable. If getting a degree is important to YOU and would make YOU happy, then by all means go back when you feel ready.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Imo you arent ready Claire speaks good sense.
    You havent beaten the BDD or the depression yet and that should be your main aim.

You can perform and join a choir outside uni..

No need to doubt yourself so much, but when you get yourself sorted then you can go back. You dont have to prove anything to others. You do have to act in your own interests.

Talk to the BEAT helpline about your BDD and yes you should get counseling

Helplines
    Adult Helpline: 0808 801 0677
    Youthline: 0808 801 0711
    open 365 days a year: 4pm-10pm

ReputationRep:

hi,

as a sufferer of severe OCD, anxiety and depression and also a hospital patient ...and also as a third year student on a course i really dont want to do,

i would advise you to get help from the doctor as health comes first...also university isnt for everyone, there are other options

ReputationRep:
    There are other options - like what? Personally I'm only interested in the academic.

Also I don't think talking about beating mental health is the right way to approach it. In my experience it's more something you manage and prevent from stopping you doing what you want as much as possible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So I had a similar experience, except I persistently continued at uni in various courses and reapplying without really dealing with the underlying issues. I'm currently working and out of uni, but would like to go back, however due to my prior study and funding, even with mitigating circumstances/compelling personal reasons, I'm more or less limited to receiving a maintenance loan (and/or grant depending on my income as I'm now old enough to be an independent student ).

For both the financial reason and the fact that mental health is a difficult thing to manage during a full academic course, I would recommend taking your time before going back. There is no harm in getting your degree slightly later, as the difference of a few years over the course of a potential ~40+ year career is negligible. I would advise to focus primarily on your mental health currently, and speak with your GP and see what they recommend regarding potential therapies including but not limited to medication, counselling etc.

Once you feel confident with managing your mental health then look into academics again; just remember that there is no rush to get a degree despite what popular media may suggest. Another path to look into that may be helpful (again, slightly further down the line) would be part time courses; this way you can balance working with study and take more time out to balance the increased "load" of any mental health difficulties you may encounter.

On the plus side though, you should be eligible for a full course of funding, and very likely the full course plus "gift" year if you apply with compelling personal reasons/mitigating circumstances to SFE/SLC. Normally you get funding equal to the length of your degree plus one year (the "gift" year as they like to call it), which allows you to be covered for the entirety of the course in case you need to retake a year. With CPR they should allow you to claim this still, but it may take some wrangling to get it out of them (they're not particularly forthcoming with funding unless they absolutely have to, which they do technically but again, they like to make it difficult).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.