Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Im not sure if this should be in the University sub-forum but oh well.

Basically my nan has told me today that shes going to pay all my tuition fees for Uni, and pay me £75 a week towards my rent at Uni! I cant believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that means, I only need money for going out and stuff.

How much money do you spend a week on average? Excluding rent of course

Congratulations.... by the time you get to graduation you won't have a clue on how to manage a tight budget.

Too many people.... too many easy ways out.

Don't have a problem with tuition fees being paid for - parents are obligued to pay whatever they have been assessed to having to pay - but to have accommodation paid for too.... you got it easy. Some of us have to live off £1200 after rents been taken out.

ReputationRep:
    such a lucky narb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    You must be an only grandson or first one to go to uni?...
    First one!

But my nan is quite well off(I say this because I actually have no idea how much money she has)...my grandad was director general of the european parliament, they invested in shares and bonds and **** for years, and when he died, he got bare dolla for the pension innit, which she now gets...and theres her pension as well etc..

ReputationRep:

This is amazing, it means I can spend more money getting pissed and stuff
    whats the big deal with being pissed...some people need a life...so you get drunk, lose yourself and....? You can still do that without your grandma paying off your fees and its not like youre going to spend all the money you earn on booze...please spare some for the shoes and clothes!

ReputationRep:
    id also like to add that this is a very good oportunity for you to save towards a place to live when you start working, it kinda gives you a head start...the alcohol doesnt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Congratulations.... by the time you get to graduation you won't have a clue on how to manage a tight budget.

Too many people.... too many easy ways out.

Don't have a problem with tuition fees being paid for - parents are obligued to pay whatever they have been assessed to having to pay - but to have accommodation paid for too.... you got it easy. Some of us have to live off £1200 after rents been taken out.
    I was worried about this too, but then again, Ive lived on a tight budget for the whole of my life, so Im not really concerned about my budgeting skills, theyre adequate..

Given the choice, most people would prefer to graduate debt-free.

£1200 is easily done really...£50 a week? £15 for food, £20 for going out, £15 for other ****...all it means is youll be spending far less time getting pissed than I will

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if this should be in the University sub-forum but oh well.

Basically my nan has told me today that shes going to pay all my tuition fees for Uni, and pay me £75 a week towards my rent at Uni! I cant believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that means, I only need money for going out and stuff.

How much money do you spend a week on average? Excluding rent of course
    Good stuff, you are lucky . I'm not that lucky

ReputationRep:
    bare dolla for the pension innit
    LOL, that could have been lifted word-for-word from most conversations on Brum buses, standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    LOL, that could have been lifted word-for-word from most conversations on Brum buses, standard.
    innit blud

ReputationRep:
    Jus mek sure ur gran dont get raised hardcore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Jus mek sure ur gran dont get raised hardcore.
    You think you are hardcore? You are a f***** choir boy compared to me, a choir boy

ReputationRep:
    I was worried about this too, but then again, Ive lived on a tight budget for the whole of my life, so Im not really concerned about my budgeting skills, theyre adequate..

Given the choice, most people would prefer to graduate debt-free.

£1200 is easily done really...£50 a week? £15 for food, £20 for going out, £15 for other ****...all it means is youll be spending far less time getting pissed than I will
    Nice try. Uni lasts two semesters of 15 weeks, plus 3 weeks at Xmas, and 3 at Easter = 36 weeks.

Try closer to £33.40 p/wk.

Constraints:

Must include food bill, utilities (including b/band).

Something tells me that anything else I can afford will be a bonus somehow.

ReputationRep:
    You think you are hardcore? You are a f***** choir boy compared to me, a choir boy
    Not really, I don't live in 'tha endz'. But I know a few shady characters who do...

17 year olds driving Subarus is nothing but dodge mate.

ReputationRep:
    Nice try. Uni lasts two semesters of 15 weeks, plus 3 weeks at Xmas, and 3 at Easter = 36 weeks.

Try closer to £33.40 p/wk.

Constraints:

Must include food bill, utilities (including b/band).

Something tells me that anything else I can afford will be a bonus somehow.
    So, youre telling me, you survive on £34 a week and get slaughtered with that money as well? I dont believe it..

ReputationRep:
    So, youre telling me, you survive on £34 a week and get slaughtered with that money as well? I dont believe it..
    See what budgeting troubles you're missing ! Multi-deals from ASDA ! (I won't stoop to 3p beans from Lidl / Aldi though !!)

Also bear in mind that the first £150 of the real money you're going to spend is disappearing on doorstopper text books.

To be fair it's probably less than £34 p/wk, as somewhere Xmas has to come out of it dead in the middle !

Any money that I get to drink away, I have to earn watching basketball. Tough life. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    See what budgeting troubles you're missing ! Multi-deals from ASDA ! (I won't stoop to 3p beans from Lidl / Aldi though !!)

Also bear in mind that the first £150 of the real money you're going to spend is disappearing on doorstopper text books.

To be fair it's probably less than £34 p/wk, as somewhere Xmas has to come out of it dead in the middle !

Any money that I get to drink away, I have to earn watching basketball. Tough life. :cool:
    :eek: what is 3p?? cheaper than dog food

ReputationRep:

Hardly much fun, I can live off £34 a week for everything other than drinking money easy...but I need bare dolla to get bladdered innit.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly much fun, I can live off £34 a week for everything other than drinking money easy...but I need bare dolla to get bladdered innit.
    The bball is easy money though - guarenteed £40 minimum each week on average - all of a sudden things are looking good for a struggling to wake up for difficult 9 am lectures !

ReputationRep:
    The bball is easy money though - guarenteed £40 minimum each week on average - all of a sudden things are looking good for a struggling to wake up for difficult 9 am lectures !
    How does one become one of these basketball ref things?

ReputationRep:
    How does one become one of these basketball ref things?
    Find some local bball camp offering the course. Sit a theory exam, do a few practical assessment games, and then you can start earning your money !

I did it for 2 days at Notts Trent, as Notts Nova Basketball Club were running an officials course.

Got me another £1300 in last season - and at the moment, I've only got 1 weekend all 2004/5 season (September - April) where I haven't got at least one game.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.