Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuck in a gym rut - any advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I've been going to the gym for a year and a half. At the beginning I felt amazing, as if I'd pushed myself after every single session. Fast forward to the present day and I finish every gym session in an unfit mess!

I go to the gym 3 times a week and look to do as much exercise as possible outside of these times, particularly running, but this has become very noncommittal recently...

I've looked into gym plans an running plans but they don't seem to look very good. I just want to become fitter, not necessarily lose any weight. Every time I go to the gym I feel lost, like I don't know what to focus on or do.

Does anyone have any workout plans that they would recommend?

Thanks!

PS, I'm a female
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Can't say i'm an expert re cardio. However, surely search for a programme for people that want to push from the '5k' level of stamina to half marathon? My friend did that in about 2-3 months.

Or you could look at HIIT training...

ReputationRep:
    I increased my fitness through mainly running. I just did something every other day. Either hill sprints (one more each week than the last to progress), fartlek training (a little bit further each week to progress), set distances as fast as possible (faster than the last time to progress, even if by only 1 second), set times as far as possible (further than the last time, you get the idea), and some bodyweight exercises (pushups, planks, squats, burpees etc) to keep mobility and just to function normally.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.