Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why the government does NOT want cheap affordable train fares? Watch

ReputationRep:
    We have the worlds most expensive train fares and governments past and present have done nothing to demand cheap affordable rail travel.

Imagine if rail fares were being cut to encourage people onto trains? Train travel was cheap and convenient. We'd have far far fewer people using cars, causing pollution, congestion, waring their cars out or people committing motioning offences. Great! Surely that's what the government wants?

Erm no. Fewer car journeys means less petrol or diesel needs to be bought by motorists, council pay and display car parks half empty, fewer people fined and charged for motoring/ parking offences, and cars lasting longer due to lower mileage which means less people buying new cars.

All of this means the government will get less money in taxes, or councils will get less money in parking fees and fines which are taxable. The motorist is a cash cow to the government, they don't want people jumping on the train and leaving their cars at home. Car use might cause pollution but they bring in money. Why would the government want cheap affordable train fares?

Raise train fares and force people off trains.
    Then put up cost of petrol, parking fees, speed cameras etc
    Make a fortune out of the poor motorist then price them back to trains ripping them off with higher fares and VAT on fares, and so on.

It's also good for the government if motorists are waring their cars out, they have to buy new cars and this year there will be the end of low car taxes for low emission cars. If your car is only £30 a year to tax or even £0 tax they want you driving it till the engine drops out so you will buy a new car and pay the much higher car taxes. They don't want you prolonging the life of your cheap tax car by leaving it at home and taking advantage of cheap train fares.

Its the same with Electric bikes, we have the worlds toughest rules on E-bikes all restricted to a pathetic 250w and 15mph! They don't want people using a cheap affordable E bike, so make the rules as tough as possible and get 'The Police' to stop and harass E cyclists.

Its all greed greed and more greed, with the government.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe there is no where for the railways to go? Have you not noticed that they are rammed? If you get on my local commuter train, you won't get onto it after the third stop. There is also the fact that in most large conurbations, people live and work around the edges of cities rather than in the centre. As a result, getting from one regional centre to the next involves complex public transport options meaning the car is the only realistic option. I think your argument of a conspiracy is somewhat flawed.

ReputationRep:
    The pricing is certainly extortionate, regardless of the reasons. £210 for a return to london from yorkshire.

A return into my local city (about 10 miles away) is £9.50. A single is £8.80.

Either theyre over charging for the single, or under charging for the return. No prizes for which would be true.

ReputationRep:
    It would be fair enough if those craphole trains were actually cleaned and were on time. If our train fares are more expensive than everywhere else, I will be surprised. So not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Rail outside of London is awful in this country. I have an unfortunate disease called "family in the North" which means I can't avoid trains as much as I'd like, but it's always a miserable few hours. Overpriced and overfull.

ReputationRep:
    The issue is with how the model works.

Currently the government pays a company to run the trains and the government makes the profit on the tickets to pay for this.

However these companies charge the government more as costs increase so prices have to go up.

The biggest issue is aslef the train union who are refusing to run southern rail trains.

The government still has to pay southern rail who are not paying the staff who aren't working so the government is loosing X amount a day and southern rail keeps the X amount.

The unions must be busted

ReputationRep:
    Very good article on the comparative cost of train fares in the UK and Europe here

http://www.seat61.com/uk-europe-trai...omparison.html

One of the classic tricks with comparing train fares to the disadvantage of our railways is to compare a standard open single. In the UK that is the ticket that allows you on any train. Every other fare is discounted from that fare. Abroad, this is the ticket that that allows you on fewest trains. Abroad you pay supplements to this fare to travel on fast trains, trains with buffets, inter-city trains, high speed trains, trains at busy times off the day and for seat reservations in countries where they are virtually compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    As above, it's impossible to make a blanket comparison of train fares between two entirely different systems - never mind the rest of the world.

The problem with lowering ticket prices is that rail travel is already subsidised and often many lines are pretty much at capacity. So the solution would have to be building far more railway infrastructure, at even greater cost.

In short, it's expensive. That's why we don't do it. Plus, people actually tend to like using their cars.
    • TSR Support Team

All governments are the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Rail outside of London is awful in this country. I have an unfortunate disease called "family in the North" which means I can't avoid trains as much as I'd like, but it's always a miserable few hours. Overpriced and overfull.
    What's wrong with flying?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even mind the pricing if trains actually came on time ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    The pricing is certainly extortionate, regardless of the reasons. £210 for a return to london from yorkshire.

A return into my local city (about 10 miles away) is £9.50. A single is £8.80.

Either theyre over charging for the single, or under charging for the return. No prizes for which would be true.
    Weird, its £135 from Glasgow to London return assuming you don't get the first train of the day out at 5am.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with the high prices, obviously customers are willing to pay so what's the point in making the fares cheaper? The number one aim of a business is to make maximum profit for their shareholders, if you don't like it then tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    There's nothing wrong with the high prices, obviously customers are willing to pay so what's the point in making the fares cheaper? The number one aim of a business is to make maximum profit for their shareholders, if you don't like it then tough.
    Which is why its nuts water companies are regulated by interferring government. They should be allowed to charge whatever the market will bare - about £100/week per service user I'd have thought. Same for gas/lecy.

ReputationRep:
    Don't these other railways get funded by the taxpayers even more than the uk's so what people who complain about fares are saying is it's unfair that I have to pay for a service I use people who don't use it should pay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What's wrong with flying?
    I'm **** broke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    I'm **** broke.
    Don't live in London then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Don't live in London then.
    This is the only bit of the UK I like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Weird, its £135 from Glasgow to London return assuming you don't get the first train of the day out at 5am.
    Check the northern rail website, is where I got my quotes from!

ReputationRep:
    This idiot keep posting and doesn't even reply when he gets wrecked time and time again!
    Whats the point of him posting if he never replies and posts the SAME thing again and again. Lol!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.