Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to make and keep friends despite being a 'gypsy'? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been what most of British youth consider a 'pikey' for my whole life including living in a caravan, coming from a travelling background, relatively poor etc. I did have some friends growing up but most of them were also from the same background so I wasn't really judged for what I am, but as I became more engrossed in school and my friends started to move away I had to make friends with everyday folk. I was doing fine until I revealed to them what I was and this subsequently lead on to a whole path of bullying, rumours, trouble making friends etc. This carried on right until I left secondary school. However, I have since moved quite far away (thank god) with my family while I study my a-levels at college and have not made any friends yet (due to my terrible social skills) but I'm afraid that once I do make friends or maybe even a girlfriend (very,very unlikely) they will expect some background information and maybe to come around my home, but this obviously leads to them having the problem of going to a "pikey site."

How would I break it to them that I am a traveller?
    How could I hold such a relationship when they would probably end up telling people which leads to quite a miserable experience?
    Could I just not break it to them and still have a relationship?

I understand that not all people are prejudice but from observing some of the people in my classes at college some of them are quite snobbish and I've heard some people taking the mickey of travellers. It's quite surreal when you're the butt of the joke while in their midst and they don't even know it.

Sorry for the terrible grammar and writing style, I think you can tell why I didn't take English language.
    Any feedback would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Smith1)
    I have been what most of British youth consider a 'pikey' for my whole life including living in a caravan, coming from a travelling background, relatively poor etc. I did have some friends growing up but most of them were also from the same background so I wasn't really judged for what I am, but as I became more engrossed in school and my friends started to move away I had to make friends with everyday folk. I was doing fine until I revealed to them what I was and this subsequently lead on to a whole path of bullying, rumours, trouble making friends etc. This carried on right until I left secondary school. However, I have since moved quite far away (thank god) with my family while I study my a-levels at college and have not made any friends yet (due to my terrible social skills) but I'm afraid that once I do make friends or maybe even a girlfriend (very,very unlikely) they will expect some background information and maybe to come around my home, but this obviously leads to them having the problem of going to a "pikey site."

How would I break it to them that I am a traveller?
    How could I hold such a relationship when they would probably end up telling people which leads to quite a miserable experience?
    Could I just not break it to them and still have a relationship?

I understand that not all people are prejudice but from observing some of the people in my classes at college some of them are quite snobbish and I've heard some people taking the mickey of travellers. It's quite surreal when you're the butt of the joke while in their midst and they don't even know it.

Sorry for the terrible grammar and writing style, I think you can tell why I didn't take English language.
    Any feedback would be appreciated
    im sorry you're having to deal with all of this

well, i know being made fun off and being bullied is of course horrific :hugs:

but youve gotta ask yourself- do you want to lie to your friends about your background?
    or do you want to be honest with them?

if i were you, id be honest- now youre doing a-levels, people mature by that stage, will take you more seriously.
    True relationships are the ones that are built on trust and honesty- that includes friends too.

you dont have to tell them, untill they ask. You can keep quiet about it, and only respond untill they ask you? You dont have to say anything? so technically- you dont have to break it to them?

when it comes to keeping the friendships/relationships ect, have you tried using socail media to keep in contact?

hope it helped not sure if it did or not

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.