The Student Room Group

Would a D in GCSE English matter when i'm at university?

I really want to know if i can do a master course or get a job with a degree in BSc Artifical intelligence and Computer Science. Because i heard employer will look for a minium grade C in GCSE English and i do not have that. I currently at my fourth year in Edinburgh university and i have passed all the modules in high standard throughout the first,second,third years, and i'm confident enough to get a first-class honours at the end.

I have a good profile on A-levels and GCSEs except the English and i worry that this could affect my future. Should i resit English at this time of year as i still have time? I not sure where to do the GCSE English as i doubt the local school around here would accept me as a private candiate since i'm 23 as it would be strange to do it with highschool kids. So alternatively,i have done some research which i could also do IELTS and functional skill in English level 2/3 but i heard they also come in high price.

i just hope this D in GCSE English wouldn't drag me down in life and also i not fairly sure if i should put this on my CV because i have done A-level business studies and gotten A on that , my teachers also told me that i can communicate and write since i have that Grade A in A-level business studies which is much more better than a Grade C in GCSE English.
Many companies will claim to require it, but in practice the vast majority will happily overlook the fact you don't have it if you are otherwise a good candidate. It is very unlikely that with a good set of A levels and a first class degree you would lose job opportunities unless you were being auto-filtered out, or fall foul of particularly draconian hiring practices at some of the larger companies.

This all being said, if I were you I would just take the GCSE (or one of the equivalents). It will require a little money and essentially no work to put your mind at ease. For the record, exam centres that accept external candidates will have no problem with you being 23. There will occasionally be 60 year olds there who fancy taking a maths course for personal development or whatever.
i always got told if you fail maths/english you have to re do it? did that not happen with you?
Reply 3
Original post by asthenophobia
i always got told if you fail maths/english you have to re do it? did that not happen with you?

OP didn't fail...
Why not resit it? I had D in English from school due to a variety of reasons. When at college I resat it and gained an A.
What really bugs me, is that on UCAS we have to declare everything even the old results...

Anyway, if it is really bothering you, just go an resit it.

You don't have to. Schools and colleges make you do it as it is considered to be a minimum standard of general education and a prerequisite for university entrance. Neither is absolutely true, but both points are rooted in reality. Much like people thinking you need to have passed 5 GCSEs at A*-C in order to take A levels or go to university. Most people will have, but it's not strictly necessary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ByronicHero
You don't have to. Schools and colleges make you do it as it is considered to be a minimum standard of general education and a prerequisite for university entrance. Neither is absolutely true, but both points are rooted in reality. Much like people thinking you need to have passed 5 GCSEs At A*-C in order to take A levels or go to university. Most people will have, but it's not strictly necessary.

Makes sense. It's probably cause I'm a posh kid and go to a private school. That's what I've been brought up with...

Original post by Amefish
OP didn't fail...

Should have been more specific. If I get less than a C at GCSE Maths/English, I have been told that I would have to retake my exam(s). But like ByronicHero said, it's not necessary which I now get.
Reply 7
Should have been more specific. If I get less than a C at GCSE Maths/English, I have been told that I would have to retake my exam(s). But like ByronicHero said, it's not necessary which I now get.

Except that if you get below a C in Maths or English GCSE now you do have to retake. But that didn't used to be the case.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/pupils-will-get-two-chances-to-resit-legacy-gcses-ofqual-announces/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending