Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice for medical work experience watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hii!
    I started sixth form last September and I'm currently looking for work experience. I did apply for a hospital placement for a week but they did not accept me!
    Any suggestions as to where else I could possibly find work experience? And, for how long should I do it? Also, how much experience would be enough for me, as I'm hoping to get into medicine.
    Any help will be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get hospital work experience, maybe work experience in a pharmacists would be a good second choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HharryS)
    Hii!
    I started sixth form last September and I'm currently looking for work experience. I did apply for a hospital placement for a week but they did not accept me!
    Any suggestions as to where else I could possibly find work experience? And, for how long should I do it? Also, how much experience would be enough for me, as I'm hoping to get into medicine.
    Any help will be much appreciated!
    Do you have any friends/relatives who work in healthcare? Unfortunately this is still one of the best ways of getting work experience.

I would also recommend looking into GP surgeries. Try to find one outside of your local area, and definitely not your own GP surgery. I would recommend going to them in person rather than phoning, preferably in the afternoon, and just ask at reception whether they accept work experience students.

I also agree with the above poster, pharmacies are good places for work experience. You will see a lot of simple and chronic conditions being managed, and you will get to observe the staff and their interactions with the public. Again, it's as simple as just showing up and asking.

Finally, are there any nursing homes or similar close by? I'm not sure how old you are, but those are always worth looking into as well, although they can be a bit competitive depending on the area you live in.

The work experience doesn't necessarily have to be within a medical setting - hospital placements can be hard to come by, but persistence should pay off.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of advice about Applying for Medicine here, including Work Experience : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.