The Student Room Group

Wondering If I chose the wrong course at College

Tl;dr = Basically doing a course for Computing but considering changing yet I'm already 4 months into the course and starting 2nd Semester.

So I currently study a BTEC Level 3 ICT/IT course and although I love computer's my dream job year's back use to be a "Game Developer" as I love playing games and loved the idea of contributing to the community by developing games or helping a company make games that people could play, my backup job Idea was a "Web Programmer/Developer" as I had work experience with a company who does Web Programming and made an Android game with them.

After a while roughly around Yr11 of UK High School I started to lose hope, I did my research and started to see truly how hard it was to get to developing games and I never researched much about Web Programming or Developing but assumed it was close to Game Developing but a little easier since at the time I had exams to worry about, but I had a little hope left so before I left I had signed up for the "BTEC Level 3 ICT/IT" course with my Career's Adviser as he kept a log of everything such as what I wanted to do and what not, I could of gone to Level 2 but my Career's Adviser said I needed to "Challenge Myself"

So now I'm in college as I did all my interview's and was accepted, Just about to start 2nd Semester of Year 1 of college as we have 9 units per year and already done 5 units etc and the reason for the title of this post is every other day now I walk in and sometimes sit and think "Is this what I really want to be doing?" I mean don't get me wrong I love technology and I enjoy using computers but I've done 2 units in the course that have thrown my hope/faith out the window one was "Procedural Programming (Programming)" and the other was "Web Creation and Design" now for both of these they are yet to be marked as P, M or D etc so I don't know whether I've done terrible or not yet but I find programming hard as heck since I've never done it before and can't seem to remember it whenever I'm away from college and go back (Holidays or Illness) and then in "Web Creation and Design" I can barely make a functional website using Dreamweaver yet alone Notepad, Which throws me off being a Web Designer/Developer.

If we backtrack real quick though, A big interest in my life was and always has been "Music". Not singing since I'm terrible at that but Music Technology such as using software to creating tracks or "beats" in which at my High School I use to do and I enjoyed it a lot most assignments which although they were easy High School Assignments I still got A's and A*'s on them but in Yr11 Music stopped as the Music Teacher not only quit the school but there wasn't enough students interesting to make it a subject teachable at GCSE level and so for a year I was ripped from doing Music but I'm still interested in it.

Which is why I question myself now as just a few months back we walked past the Music Department since we had to change rooms due to our normal room being used as an exam room and the door was open and so I took a peak and all I saw was just Student's with headphones, Creating Beats or Researching and I felt like I should of been there even 2 of my new friends are questioning our current course one nearly left to do a different course but he stayed with computing since the other course had a "Terrible Timetable".

I know Music's probably not going to be an Easy Course and I'm not seeking an easy course but every other day now I'm drawn to changing and I don't know whether I should or not.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Seriously? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by fardm76
Seriously? :biggrin:

What? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Tl;dr

Done.

Kinda new to the whole posting thing never used/did it since I've never had the need to.
Original post by ConnorW!
Done.

Kinda new to the whole posting thing never used/did it since I've never had the need to.

Thanks. :smile:

I think it may be a bit too late to change though. :s-smilie:

You could drop out, and take a gap year or something, and reapply to do something else.
Reply 5
Thanks. :smile:

I think it may be a bit too late to change though. :s-smilie:

You could drop out, and take a gap year or something, and reapply to do something else.

Yeah, that's what I thought too that it may be too late.. I didn't have any of these thoughts till late into the course when I just started to question the course and some of the work I've been doing.

I might just try to get it done, Theirs a few classmates that know a lot of programming compared to me so might try and seek help from them when it comes to coding and what not and maybe after the course is done I could see about doing Music.
Yeah, that's what I thought too that it may be too late.. I didn't have any of these thoughts till late into the course when I just started to question the course and some of the work I've been doing.

I might just try to get it done, Theirs a few classmates that know a lot of programming compared to me so might try and seek help from them when it comes to coding and what not and maybe after the course is done I could see about doing Music.

Okay :smile:, let me know what you decide to do.
Reply 7
Okay :smile:, let me know what you decide to do.

Will do :smile:
What? :s-smilie:

Never mind ! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by fardm76
Never mind ! :smile:

Ok.. :biggrin:
Tl;dr = Basically doing a course for Computing but considering changing yet I'm already 4 months into the course and starting 2nd Semester.

So I currently study a BTEC Level 3 ICT/IT course and although I love computer's my dream job year's back use to be a "Game Developer" as I love playing games and loved the idea of contributing to the community by developing games or helping a company make games that people could play, my backup job Idea was a "Web Programmer/Developer" as I had work experience with a company who does Web Programming and made an Android game with them.

After a while roughly around Yr11 of UK High School I started to lose hope, I did my research and started to see truly how hard it was to get to developing games and I never researched much about Web Programming or Developing but assumed it was close to Game Developing but a little easier since at the time I had exams to worry about, but I had a little hope left so before I left I had signed up for the "BTEC Level 3 ICT/IT" course with my Career's Adviser as he kept a log of everything such as what I wanted to do and what not, I could of gone to Level 2 but my Career's Adviser said I needed to "Challenge Myself"

So now I'm in college as I did all my interview's and was accepted, Just about to start 2nd Semester of Year 1 of college as we have 9 units per year and already done 5 units etc and the reason for the title of this post is every other day now I walk in and sometimes sit and think "Is this what I really want to be doing?" I mean don't get me wrong I love technology and I enjoy using computers but I've done 2 units in the course that have thrown my hope/faith out the window one was "Procedural Programming (Programming)" and the other was "Web Creation and Design" now for both of these they are yet to be marked as P, M or D etc so I don't know whether I've done terrible or not yet but I find programming hard as heck since I've never done it before and can't seem to remember it whenever I'm away from college and go back (Holidays or Illness) and then in "Web Creation and Design" I can barely make a functional website using Dreamweaver yet alone Notepad, Which throws me off being a Web Designer/Developer.

If we backtrack real quick though, A big interest in my life was and always has been "Music". Not singing since I'm terrible at that but Music Technology such as using software to creating tracks or "beats" in which at my High School I use to do and I enjoyed it a lot most assignments which although they were easy High School Assignments I still got A's and A*'s on them but in Yr11 Music stopped as the Music Teacher not only quit the school but there wasn't enough students interesting to make it a subject teachable at GCSE level and so for a year I was ripped from doing Music but I'm still interested in it.

Which is why I question myself now as just a few months back we walked past the Music Department since we had to change rooms due to our normal room being used as an exam room and the door was open and so I took a peak and all I saw was just Student's with headphones, Creating Beats or Researching and I felt like I should of been there even 2 of my new friends are questioning our current course one nearly left to do a different course but he stayed with computing since the other course had a "Terrible Timetable".

I know Music's probably not going to be an Easy Course and I'm not seeking an easy course but every other day now I'm drawn to changing and I don't know whether I should or not.

I'm halfway though the second year of the same course, It's not difficult to get into developing games if you're able to show your skills and passion for game development.

Usually the problem with game development jobs is that it's contract based. If the publisher/Company you're working for doesn't have a project for you to work on, you can sometimes end up unemployed/without work till the next one.

The majority of games devs start out as indie developers who create their own projects or are part of a small development team.

After they build experience and knowledge of the industry, they move up to higher positions and better development teams which produce higher quality games.

Anyway alot of game developers also have computer science degrees too, getting one of these would allow you to still do web dev, software dev, networking etc.

I'm not too sure on where people go with a music based degree, you'd probably have to research that more.
Reply 11
Original post by Kravence
I'm halfway though the second year of the same course, It's not difficult to get into developing games if you're able to show your skills and passion for game development.

Usually the problem with game development jobs is that it's contract based. If the publisher/Company you're working for doesn't have a project for you to work on, you can sometimes end up unemployed/without work till the next one.

The majority of games devs start out as indie developers who create their own projects or are part of a small development team.

After they build experience and knowledge of the industry, they move up to higher positions and better development teams which produce higher quality games.

Anyway alot of game developers also have computer science degrees too, getting one of these would allow you to still do web dev, software dev, networking etc.

I'm not too sure on where people go with a music based degree, you'd probably have to research that more.

Hmm, Thanks for the Insight on Game Developing and Dev's.

It's true about the Music thing, I don't even know where they go afterwards, The only thing I know is I might enjoy it but chances are I'm not swapping or dropping.

The only thing that does bug me is Uni which I'll probably make a post for when the time comes but short story is I feel like I'll be dumb when I go to Uni or that it isn't for me since my Brother went and did a course and stopped after a few months...
Reply 12
Tl;dr

Everyone knows that filthy sheffielders can't even read so who are you trying to kid you fruitcake? :rolleyes:
Original post by njko
Everyone knows that filthy sheffielders can't even read so who are you trying to kid you fruitcake? :rolleyes:

You're back...again!

This time, again, being rude about Sheffield instead of feminism and what I study.

I knew it was you. :h:
Reply 14
You're back...again!

This time, again, being rude about Sheffield instead of feminism and what I study.

I knew it was you. :h:

Seriously I have no idea what you're talking about lunatic. :rofl:
Original post by njko
Seriously I have no idea what you're talking about lunatic. :rofl:

You do. Even the mods told me it was you, so cut the ignorance feigning. :h:
Reply 16
You do. Even the mods told me it was you, so cut the ignorance feigning. :h:

Told you it was who?Who am I meant to be? Go ahead entertain me you sheffiled mess. :h:
Original post by njko
Told you it was who?Who am I meant to be? Go ahead entertain me you sheffiled mess. :h:

They told me that it was another 'Ttingox dupe'. It was obviously you, so own up to being 'absoul', and any version of 'G.O.O.D', because we already know that it was you. :h:
Reply 18
They told me that it was another 'Ttingox dupe'. It was obviously you, so own up to being 'absoul', and any version of 'G.O.O.D', because we already know that it was you. :h:

My god you have literally went mental. None of those accounts are me.

I am laughing at your insanity. :u:
Original post by njko
My god you have literally went mental. None of those accounts are me.

I am laughing at your insanity. :u:

They clearly were. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest