Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CUG: University ranking based on performance over 10 years (2008-2017) Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Complete University Guide's 10-year (2008–2017) average ranking of British universities based on consistent league table performance.

1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. Durham
    6. St Andrews
    7. Warwick
    8. UCL
    9. Lancaster
    10. Bath

To see more entries, see the attached pdf.

The Sunday Times produced a similar one for rankings between 1998-2007.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfCUG univ17ten.pdf (39.5 KB, 82 views)

ReputationRep:
    Not very surprising to be honest. It would be amazing if someone took the time to plot the points against the year for all the universities, to see which ones have risen or fallen the most during this period.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster has no business being in the top 10, somewhere like Bristol should be there instead.

ReputationRep:
    wow.. impressive how Lancaster, Surrey and Loughborough are still so high up
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see York so high up and only just missing out on the top 10!

ReputationRep:
    What about individual subjects? General performance is pretty irrelevant isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xFFFFail)
    What about individual subjects? General performance is pretty irrelevant isn't it?
    True. I don't know whether anyone can be arsed to make individual tables for the most popular courses, though :3

ReputationRep:
    The UK's top 10 universities as decreed by Sunnyside:

1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. Durham
    6. UCL
    7. Warwick
    8. St. Andrews
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Bristol

ReputationRep:
    UCL should be fifth or sixth at least imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)

1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. Durham
    6. UCL
    7. Warwick
    8. St. Andrews
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Bristol
    Yes, I'd say this is pretty much spot on. It's ridiculous how Edinburgh and Bristol are often shafted in favour of places like Lancaster and Loughborough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Lancaster has no business being in the top 10, somewhere like Bristol should be there instead.
    i thought Manchester was high up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who_Am_I...)
    i thought Manchester was high up.
    Eh, I'd say mid-Russell Group. It's good on the international stage but most of the departments themselves are nothing special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)

1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. Durham
    6. UCL
    7. Warwick
    8. St. Andrews
    9. Edinburgh
    10. Bristol
    >putting oxford ahead of cambridge

My top 10:

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. St Andrews
    6. Edinburgh
    7. UCL
    8. Durham
    9. Bristol
    10. Warwick

UCL's really gone downhill lately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xFFFFail)
    yes, unless the object of the exercise is to award a performance award to vice-chancellors or to marketing departments.

No-one attending a British university studies within more than at the very most three departments among as many as a hundred. If I am studying Law at such and such redbrick, it doesn't at all bear on my university experience that the department of Robotics is knocking it out of the park with its research and thereby pushing the institution up the league tables.

Persuading the TSR constituency of this, or anyway the VIth form element of it, is I'm afraid a losing battle.

ReputationRep:
    Why so normative, Leonard?

ReputationRep:
    Take that back

ReputationRep:
    These league tables mean absolutely nothing....the British university ranking system needs to be overhauled...

I would love for universities to be ranked based on tangible measures of success, how well their students do in their exams, on the drop out rates and the number of failures/repeats...those numbers would, I am sure, tell a very different story to the "league tables" as they are now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    These league tables mean absolutely nothing....the British university ranking system needs to be overhauled...

I would love for universities to be ranked based on tangible measures of success, how well their students do in their exams, on the drop out rates and the number of failures/repeats...those numbers would, I am sure, tell a very different story to the "league tables" as they are now.
    Let's examine your 'tangible measures of success':

1) 'How well their students do in their exams' - Different unis have different exams. By this measurement Oxbridge, Durham or LSE would be ranked less well than other universities which, though inferior, have easier exams.

2) 'Number of failures/repeats'. Again, this will favour unis with easier exams, as well as reflect the nature of students they attract (e.g. more committed students at some than others). But how committed students are should not have a bearing on how good the university itself is.

3) 'Drop-out rates' see above

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    >putting oxford ahead of cambridge

My top 10:

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. St Andrews
    6. Edinburgh
    7. UCL
    8. Durham
    9. Bristol
    10. Warwick

UCL's really gone downhill lately.
    lol you must somking crack. Top 5 is without doubt

Cam
    Ox
    Imp/LSE
    UCL

then next 5/6 is

Warwick
    Durham
    St.A/Edin
    Bris
    Bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)

You could always get that information and make your own ranking system :holmes:.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.