Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Increasing dislike of British people in Europe Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of several instances of Brits being discriminated against in EU countries.
    A college group recently went skiing in Austria and found that at Salzburg Airport a separate terminal had been set up for British passengers only, all signs were in English and no German signage like in the main terminal, while all other nationalities including none EU such ad Russians etc used the main terminal with far better facilities. Having used Salzburg airport in the past, this terminal appears to have been a warehouse fitted out as a terminal in the last few months!

I have heard of Brits in Europe being ignored and refused jobs. And italian speaking Brits in Italy over hearing derogatory comments made about the British, similar stories in France and Spain.

Why is this happening? Are we being blamed for Merkels mistakes, but why are they taking it out on us?

ReputationRep:
    Eastern Europeans on online games are all still mostly friendly towards me so it's all ok.

ReputationRep:
    You are aware that the rest of the continent has hated Britian/Brits for a while right? Who can blame them, Brits have an inherently unmatched arrogant and superior attitude towards other European countries.

Moreover we recently just voted to say **** you to Europe, so..

There's literally nothing surprising about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I have heard of several instances of Brits being discriminated against in EU countries.

I have heard of Brits in Europe being ignored and refused jobs. And italian speaking Brits in Italy over hearing derogatory comments made about the British, similar stories in France and Spain.

Why is this happening? Are we being blamed for Merkels mistakes, but why are they taking it out on us?
    Strong b8 m8
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Eastern Europeans on online games are all still mostly friendly towards me so it's all ok.
    Lmao. Good to know.

ReputationRep:
    A college group recently went skiing in Austria and found that at Salzburg Airport a separate terminal had been set up for British passengers only, all signs were in English and no German signage like in the main terminal, while all other nationalities including none EU such ad Russians etc used the main terminal with far better facilities. Having used Salzburg airport in the past, this terminal appears to have been a warehouse fitted out as a terminal in the last few months!

While this may or may not be true, one thing is for sure, Ive overheard many british people speak badly of other nationalities too. So maybe just the norm
    • Political Ambassador

In general, some people are very patriotic and think that their own country is superior to the others, but every culture has contributed with something special to this world in some way.

But the British consider their Britishness to be superior. I think they tend to kind of isolate themselves. Did they ever consider themselves to be Europeans? I don't think so, England part of Europe? It has always seen itself as separate in some ways.

They all need a good hug.

ReputationRep:

Funnily enough this happpens, Brits get discriminated in EU countries and foreign Eu citizens are being discriminated against in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    You are aware that the rest of the continent has hated Britian/Brits for a while right? Who can blame them, Brits have an inherently unmatched arrogant and superior attitude towards other European countries.

Moreover we recently just voted to say **** you to Europe, so..

There's literally nothing surprising about this.
    **** to the EU.

ReputationRep:

A separate airport terminal for Brits? We're not that special. :slap:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    While this may or may not be true, one thing is for sure, Ive overheard many british people speak badly of other nationalities too. So maybe just the norm
    I think its got worse in the last few months

I don't know why attitudes are changing, maybe its because Merkel opened the doors to all and sundry but why is Britain being punished for what Merkel did? And it's not exclusive to Germany, its in France, Austria, Spain etc. That new terminal a Salzburg Airport for Brits, was only a few months old and it was a converted warehouse. I've just seen it on google earth and know the airport well having used it in the past.

I remember I went to Lanzarote last summer and found airport security staff very rude. The previous year they were ok.

ReputationRep:
    False. Not a result of Brexit, instead a result of shed loads of Brits going skiing every year and the normal terminal not being big enough to cater for the expansion.

Happens at most airports near to the Alps every year and has done for decades.

I know, I used to work in the ski industry.

ReputationRep:
    I think its got worse in the last few months

I don't know why attitudes are changing, maybe its because Merkel opened the doors to all and sundry but why is Britain being punished for what Merkel did? And it's not exclusive to Germany, its in France, Austria, Spain etc. That new terminal a Salzburg Airport for Brits, was only a few months old and it was a converted warehouse. I've just seen it on google earth and know the airport well having used it in the past.

I remember I went to Lanzarote last summer and found airport security staff very rude. The previous year they were ok.
    Yeah, thats very true. It's brexit. The media as usual blows all opinion and rhetoric out of proportion and plants virulent angry thoughts in peoples heads. People get angry over things that either havent even happened yet, or get angry over things that give no discernible difference to daily life.

All people can do is speculate. Those that actually have a stake in handling brexit are not helping settle peoples minds on both sides.

I firmly believe that the old adage "divide and conquer" is at work here. We are all slowly losing our way, content to argue over things that supply no solution.

I dont blame people for hating Britain more and more, I obviously dont like it (as people dont personally know each other as they hate) but we as a country have lost our way. Content to warmonger, hate and look out for our own (which is entirely subjective and thus B.S)

Ive lost my love for this country too. I dont hate this country, but I can see that as we bicker and argue, some very rich people are getting much richer, some poor people are getting deader in part because of us, and we still take the high ground, convinced that we are superior, blind to the fact that we have much to improve on.

Sorry, but I am truly ashamed of our country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    A separate airport terminal for Brits? We're not that special. :slap:

(Original post by Drewski)
    False. Not a result of Brexit, instead a result of shed loads of Brits going skiing every year and the normal terminal not being big enough to cater for the expansion.

Happens at most airports near to the Alps every year and has done for decades.

I know, I used to work in the ski industry.
    Ok why is this new terminal for British only? Russian, French and other skiers were using the normal terminal.

The new terminal is a converted warehouse for Brits only, there was no restaurant in the departure area, a small shop selling alcohol was provided, but none of the group used it as they don't drink. The seats were described as hard benches and there was no airport VIP lounge as they have in the main terminal. They didn't need a lounge but what if a passenger had paid for a lounge or was flying buisness class where VIP lounge use is complementary?

I know from past experience the main terminal departure lounge has a cafe selling hot and cold food, well stocked shop and 30 rows of comfortable seats signs were in both English and German.

ReputationRep:
    Brits in Europe are known for their poor dress sense, rotund guts and refusal to even attempt to speak the local language. There is nothing new about the dislike, it comes from our distinct lack of class.

ReputationRep:
    Ok why is this new terminal for British only? Russian, French and other skiers were using the normal terminal.
    Because we're the only ones that charter planes for skiing, rather than use scheduled ones, such is the extra demand.

Go anywhere in Europe that serves the Alps (or even Andorra) at this time of year and it's the exact same scene. We fly in a few hundred at a time. Hell, Jet2 use an aircraft that would normally fly across the Atlantic and carries twice as many people as the average 737/A320 (a B757) because of the sheer volume of extra passengers.

The regular terminals can't cope.

The numbers of French people flying to Austria to ski is tiny (they all drive and the vast majority go to French resorts), the numbers of Russians is similarly small.

Complete nonsense. As per usual.

You've taken '2+2' and made it equal 'a field of potatoes'.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares f**k the eu we should focus on the commonwealth

ReputationRep:
    No one likes us, we don't care. We should be like Millwall and wallow in it.

Who cares if whether we are liked in Austria or not? We are Britain, we don't need Austria to like us. If they are being awkward at the boarder, **** 'em. I don't want to go there any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    In general, some people are very patriotic and think that their own country is superior to the others, but every culture has contributed with something special to this world in some way.

But the British consider their Britishness to be superior. I think they tend to kind of isolate themselves. Did they ever consider themselves to be Europeans? I don't think so, England part of Europe? It has always seen itself as separate in some ways.

They all need a good hug.
    In the last century Austria almost destroyed Europe as part of the Nazi Germany, causing devastation and huge suffering. Britain played a major role in saving it. And we are supposed to think those cultures are equal and join them as Europeans?

You simply cannot say that both nations have made an equally positive contribution to the world. Of course we are more justified in having pride in our country than Austrians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    No one likes us, we don't care. We should be like Millwall and wallow in it.

Who cares if whether we are liked in Austria or not? We are Britain, we don't need Austria to like us. If they are being awkward at the boarder, **** 'em. I don't want to go there any way.
    It's like the Leafs here in Canada. The whole country hates them, but the fans just flip everyone the bird and get on with their lives. Either that or they deny the Leafs' suckage every year and blame the States for taking all their best players.

I think the UK should just embrace being the continent's most obnoxious prick. Nothing wrong with that. "They hate us cuz they ain't us."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.