Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Increasing dislike of British people in Europe Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    They're jealous of us and the fact that we're no longer going to be bending over for them anymore, that's all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    In general, some people are very patriotic and think that their own country is superior to the others, but every culture has contributed with something special to this world in some way.

But the British consider their Britishness to be superior. I think they tend to kind of isolate themselves. Did they ever consider themselves to be Europeans? I don't think so, England part of Europe? It has always seen itself as separate in some ways.

They all need a good hug.
    We are very much European. I don't think the language barrier/lack of bilingualism in Britain helps though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    No one likes us, we don't care. We should be like Millwall and wallow in it.
    not a bad idea tbf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I think its got worse in the last few months

I don't know why attitudes are changing, maybe its because Merkel opened the doors to all and sundry but why is Britain being punished for what Merkel did? And it's not exclusive to Germany, its in France, Austria, Spain etc. That new terminal a Salzburg Airport for Brits, was only a few months old and it was a converted warehouse. I've just seen it on google earth and know the airport well having used it in the past.

I remember I went to Lanzarote last summer and found airport security staff very rude. The previous year they were ok.
    You are generalizing here. It can be a complete coincidence that the people at the airport didn't treat you as nicely as they did last year. Some people are nice, some aren't.
    I'm from Germany and while people were shocked that GB left the EU, there certainly isn't a feeling of hate towards the British. I have never heard somebody talking **** about your nation and Italien people. The overwhelming majority in the EU has accepted Brexit as a fact and now, people don't really think about it that much anymore. It has happened but oh well, doesn't mean that people from EU countries hate the Brits.
    And I have certainly never heard that somebody would blame the British for Merkels mistakes, neither in the news nor friends among my friends. Even Germans that support Merkel (she ist quite popular) admit that she made mistakes, so the only person that is blamed for her mistakes ist herself.
    So no need for you to feel/act like a victim

ReputationRep:
    No one likes us, we don't care. We should be like Millwall and wallow in it. Who cares if whether we are liked in Austria or not? We are Britain, we don't need Austria to like us. If they are being awkward at the boarder, **** 'em. I don't want to go there any way.
    A lot of Brits travel to Austria for skiing, snowboarding etc because its nearer and cheaper than travelling to Canada or Russia for winter sports.

In the last century Austria almost destroyed Europe as part of the Nazi Germany, causing devastation and huge suffering. Britain played a major role in saving it. And we are supposed to think those cultures are equal and join them as Europeans?

You simply cannot say that both nations have made an equally positive contribution to the world. Of course we are more justified in having pride in our country than Austrians.
    Were does that leave the RAC? They have been important player in Northern Ireland and in motoring. Austria has done many good things for the UK, it wasn't their fault Hitler was Austrian or that Germany actually invaded and annexed Austria. Most Austrians today are liberally minded with most nations expect with Britain in recent times

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Brits travel to Austria for skiing, snowboarding etc because its nearer and cheaper than travelling to Canada or Russia for winter sports.

Were does that leave the RAC? They have been important player in Northern Ireland and in motoring. Austria has done many good things for the UK, it wasn't their fault Hitler was Austrian or that Germany actually invaded and annexed Austria. Most Austrians today are liberally minded with most nations expect with Britain in recent times
    Jews were persecuted in Austria as much as in Germany and the Austrian people fully bought into that. I don't think they can hold leaving the EU against Britain because it is nothing compared to the misery their country inflicted on Europe.

If they don't like us for whatever reason, that is up to them. I don't care. If they want the money from the British tourists, they will have to put up with us. If they don't want the money, we will find somewhere else to go.

ReputationRep:
    Well you should have voted Remain then.

I have not found any hostility when going to visit my relatives in France. There again, I bother to speak French unlike many Brits who go there.

ReputationRep:
    Brits have always been disliked in France, and it dates from before the Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Brits have always been disliked in France, and it dates from before the Brexit.
    What is the general opinion? Anything specific?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    In general, some people are very patriotic and think that their own country is superior to the others, but every culture has contributed with something special to this world in some way.

But the British consider their Britishness to be superior. I think they tend to kind of isolate themselves. Did they ever consider themselves to be Europeans? I don't think so, England part of Europe? It has always seen itself as separate in some ways.

Tbf last time we branched out to hug everyone you all wanted independence and kicked our ships out

ReputationRep:
    Haven't noticed anything recently, but a couple of years ago you were pretty famous for getting drunk and behaving like the last swine on streets of Crakow. The Latvians even set special police squads to deal with drunken Brits on streets of Riga. Personally I've only noticed some British guests who swear in a middle of restaurant, thinking that nobody can understand them.

(Original post by EC)

Isn't that typical for lots of nations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    What is the general opinion? Anything specific?
    They're too close to the USA ("the valets of the Americans" ) and are associated with Neoliberalism.

Brexit was good news for most people.

ReputationRep:
    In the last century Austria almost destroyed Europe as part of the Nazi Germany, causing devastation and huge suffering. Britain played a major role in saving it. And we are supposed to think those cultures are equal and join them as Europeans?

You simply cannot say that both nations have made an equally positive contribution to the world. Of course we are more justified in having pride in our country than Austrians.
    Oh yea, the British Empire and its amazing contribution to the world :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Jews were persecuted in Austria as much as in Germany and the Austrian people fully bought into that. I don't think they can hold leaving the EU against Britain because it is nothing compared to the misery their country inflicted on Europe.

If they don't like us for whatever reason, that is up to them. I don't care. If they want the money from the British tourists, they will have to put up with us. If they don't want the money, we will find somewhere else to go.
    Then do

But if you want cheap and close, that doesn't leave many options, so good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of several instances of Brits being discriminated against in EU countries.
    A college group recently went skiing in Austria and found that at Salzburg Airport a separate terminal had been set up for British passengers only, all signs were in English and no German signage like in the main terminal, while all other nationalities including none EU such ad Russians etc used the main terminal with far better facilities. Having used Salzburg airport in the past, this terminal appears to have been a warehouse fitted out as a terminal in the last few months!

I have heard of Brits in Europe being ignored and refused jobs. And italian speaking Brits in Italy over hearing derogatory comments made about the British, similar stories in France and Spain.

Why is this happening? Are we being blamed for Merkels mistakes, but why are they taking it out on us?
    Lol Ambitious1999, this is your dumbest thread ever.

Salzburg has a dedicated charter terrminal during the winter ski season. Nothing much happens there during the week, but every weekend dozens of extra charter flights, many of them from the UK, arrive carrying thousands of British tourists with all their ski gear. They simply need the extra space on transfer day to process all the extra passengers arriving at the same time.

You probably flew a non-charter airline to Salzburg in the past, or before Salzburg was forced to expand their facilities due to the growing popularity of ski holidays.

Same thing at Geneva airport, there is an extra shed where they check in the charter flights but after that you can get a bus to the main terminal.

ReputationRep:
    And italian speaking Brits in Italy over hearing derogatory comments made about the British, similar stories in France and Spain.

Why is this happening? Are we being blamed for Merkels mistakes, but why are they taking it out on us?
    Can't speak about the whole of the EU but being of mixed Italian/British heritage I travel back to Italy a lot and, seriously, no one has a problem with British people there. On the contrary, the Italians are generally quite friendly/welcoming and they seem to particularly like British people.

If someone overheard a "derogatory" comment I hope you do realise that it wouldnt necessarily be representative of a bigger trend e.g. everyone being mad at the British because they voted no in a referendum last year.
    It was just a derogatory comment. Literally, nobody is blaming anything on anyone and most of the people on the continent don't even care that much about Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    Ok why is this new terminal for British only? Russian, French and other skiers were using the normal terminal.

The new terminal is a converted warehouse for Brits only, there was no restaurant in the departure area, a small shop selling alcohol was provided, but none of the group used it as they don't drink. The seats were described as hard benches and there was no airport VIP lounge as they have in the main terminal. They didn't need a lounge but what if a passenger had paid for a lounge or was flying buisness class where VIP lounge use is complementary?

I know from past experience the main terminal departure lounge has a cafe selling hot and cold food, well stocked shop and 30 rows of comfortable seats signs were in both English and German.
    What you are talking about is a dedicated "terminal" for specific flights during high-volume periods. The vast majority of excess capacity during high-season is charter flights from the UK. It's not a "Brits only" terminal. It's a terminal for certain flights, and those flights happen to all come from the UK. It maximises processing efficiency and reducess stress on the system for ordinary fliers. I've seen it in French airports serving the Alps as well. If you flew scheduled BA, you would still be using the main terminal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Oh yea, the British Empire and its amazing contribution to the world :rolleyes:
    What have the Romans ever done for us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdukazam)
    What have the Romans ever done for us?
    Google it?

ReputationRep:
    Ok why is this new terminal for British only? Russian, French and other skiers were using the normal terminal.

The new terminal is a converted warehouse for Brits only, there was no restaurant in the departure area, a small shop selling alcohol was provided, but none of the group used it as they don't drink. The seats were described as hard benches and there was no airport VIP lounge as they have in the main terminal. They didn't need a lounge but what if a passenger had paid for a lounge or was flying buisness class where VIP lounge use is complementary?

I know from past experience the main terminal departure lounge has a cafe selling hot and cold food, well stocked shop and 30 rows of comfortable seats signs were in both English and German.
    Brits are known and respected in europe for their stoicism in the face of adversity... that's why if someone's going to get the uncushioned seats it's going to be us.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.