Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Japanese company replaces office workers with artificial intelligence Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    You're correct that this is an issue, and it's precisely the reason why the media and people in general are still treating this as some kind of a quirky joke ("haha, robots are taking over the world" rather than taking it seriously. People are in absolute denial that their jobs could be displaced. However, I'm not really sure why you're calling this "weird" - I certainly feel absolutely horrified about the prospect that my chosen career path could be rendered totally redundant.

If we assume that these changes are going to be inevitable then yes, there is going to need to be a change in the cultural mindset. One problem though is that whilst the rise of AI is inevitable, civilization's ability to respond in a socially responsible manner most certainly is not. Unless some pretty serious international structures are put in place to redistribute wealth, the rise of AI is going to be accompanied by the increasing concentration of wealth in the hands of the global technocratic elite. And given the fact that in the current global climate any kind of reference to wealth distribution seems to initiate some kind of a McCarthian response, I'm seriously concerned about this.

People always assume that the trajectory of human development is positive. I think that is a very questionable assumption, particularly given the talks I've been to at the Future of Humanity Institute.

It's a worry (although I don't know why you're talking about men, this is not a gender issue), but I don't think this is as big an issue as wealth redistribution. At a talk I went to on this topic, they made the prediction that whilst these changes would be accompanied by an increase in free time (which is not a bad thing), it would be accompanied by a shift towards new sectors such as the voluntary sector or the creative sector. Of course though, this would be pretty bad for the uneducated.
    Because far more men make their career their life than women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    For most men, going to work is what keeps them sane.
    It's the exact opposite for me.

What it is about about being unemployed that is **** is that we live in an atomised society so you spend all your day alone and feeling like failure with no one to interact with and do human things with. Hunter Gathers in Africa "work" for like 18 hours a week and spend the rest of the time doing other things. How live now is not an inevitable "natural state" for humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    A universal wage is going to be absolutely necessary. Remember that these shifts in labour are not resulting in a reduction in economic output - more wealth is being created than before. The thing that is changing is wealth distribution, which is why new attitudes to wealth redistribution are going to be imperative.
    Unless the left can gets its act together and create a strong proletariat movement that can pressure elites into giving something like a basic income it will only happen if the elites decide it is in their own self interest to bestow it upon the plebs. Firstly I am skepticle of the elites being able to realise it is in their self interest to do so (it it became so) and wouldn't be surprised if their greed caused them self harm. Secondly if it does come form the top UBI will probably be of a right wing form that may actually undermine current wealth redistribution mechanisms of the welfare state etc. UBI was after all very popular on the right.

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily think innovations should be stifled to protect jobs - should computers not have been invented, to protect the typewriter industry?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Avoiding a situation where almost the entire workforce is owned by a few unsharing fat cats in the AI business is paramount. We have a deadline to sort out our new wealth redistributory systems. If we don't do it before AI businesses become wealthy enough to overpower governments, society will be at the mercy of their charity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    That's how you maximise profit, injure everyone who is signed up. It's genius.
    Maximise profit by robbing all the banks in the world...
    I just don't trust robots, but I don't think they're at the point of world domination yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    How will civilisation support itself with half the population out of work?
    Easier than ever. Automation is millions of times faster in some cases, the net result is far more wealth. People used to burn down factories back in the day as they feared it would destroy their jobs. I guess they were right, but it didn't make most of the population poorer.

Civilisation will flourish with more people dedicated towards whatever they want to do, all of those people held back by our current inefficient system will be able to do whatever they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Avoiding a situation where almost the entire workforce is owned by a few unsharing fat cats in the AI business is paramount. We have a deadline to sort out our new wealth redistributory systems. If we don't do it before AI businesses become wealthy enough to overpower governments, society will be at the mercy of their charity.
    It seems most governments are clueless at the moment, they should really start nationalising as soon as any significant progress is being made.The problem with premature nationalisation is you may risk them going elsewhere and escaping accountability.

ReputationRep:
    The film Wall-E is basically the future TBH. :couchpotato:

ReputationRep:
    TIme for universal basic income :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    TIme for universal basic income :yy:
    :yum:

ReputationRep:
    That isn't an Artificial Intelligence, just a program for solving risk calculations. As soon as something falls outside it's parameters it will be stumped. That is not intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Stephen Hawking was right...
    Not even close. Have no fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    That isn't an Artificial Intelligence, just a program for solving risk calculations. As soon as something falls outside it's parameters it will be stumped. That is not intelligence.
    A plane isn't a bird but it still flies.

Fine then. A computer replaces middle class jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Has nobody thought of the possibility that when those at "the top" i.e. with all the wealth, and robots to do all the jobs for them, they will see no need to keep the commoners with no blue blood etc around? When you have that kind of wealth and capability, imagine having the world to yourself and your fellow kings and queens (maybe a few hundred thousand people)? Absolute power, where you can manufacture a war or pandemic or whatever to get rid of billions of other people. Sounds crazy, but...

ReputationRep:
    omg that's kinda creepy/weird

"I am a human being"
    "human beings are advanced robots"
    "no i am a human being"
    "I am also a human being"
    "does that mean we're two human beings talking to each other?"

that's literally humans rn :eek::rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.