The Student Room Group

a level maths core 3

A river is 30 metres wide in a certain region and its depth,d metres, at a point x metres from one side is given by the formula d=1/60[(x(30-x)(30+x) to the power of 1/2].
(a) use simpsons rule with 6 intervals to estimate the cross-sectional area of the river in this region,giving your answers to 3 significant figures.
(b) given that in this region, the river is flowing at a uniform speed of 50 metres per minute, estimate the number of cubic metres of water passing per minute.
i dont know where i keep going wrong.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by faisa12345
A river is 30 metres wide in a certain region and its depth,d metres, at a point x metres from one side is given by the formula d=1/60[(x(30-x)(30+x) to the power of 1/2].
(a) use simpsons rule with 6 intervals to estimate the cross-sectional area of the river in this region,giving your answers to 3 significant figures.
(b) given that in this region, the river is flowing at a uniform speed of 50 metres per minute, estimate the number of cubic metres of water passing per minute.
i dont know where i keep going wrong.

Could you post your working?

Quick Reply

Latest