Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did terrible and i don't know what to do to help my self in maths or english as we are doing the 9-1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamtheone19)
    I did terrible and i don't know what to do to help my self in maths or english as we are doing the 9-1.
    Hiya,

Don't worry there is plenty of time to improve! Your maths will improve massively with thorough practice, doing past paper questions and getting any help you need from teachers e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hiya,

Don't worry there is plenty of time to improve! Your maths will improve massively with thorough practice, doing past paper questions and getting any help you need from teachers e.t.c.
    Thanks so much for responding i hate problem solving I'm not good at it like the mock papers were so hard.
    Any more tips thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    i managed to miss most of my mocks and was ill during my english ones... so i did awfully but trust me dont rely on the mock results! if anything look a them and revise and parctice even harder to prove them wrong

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm in year 11 too and I'm starting to get my mock results back too and yes, the maths exams were really difficult. Firstly, what grade/level did you get for english and maths? Our teachers tell us that students usually go up at least a grade from what they got in their mocks so don't panic! With lots and lots of practice, you will get better, trust me. I also suggest going to talk to your teachers about this and also attending catch up sessions if your school does them.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me anytime

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for responding i hate problem solving I'm not good at it like the mock papers were so hard.
    Any more tips thanks again.
    No problem, maths can be really tricky. I would practice using the different equations until you're more comfortable, spend time learning facts that will help you solve problems e.g. angles and shapes, practising harder problems will make you more confident at approaching problems and you'll start to see patterns in the questions. It can be good to highlight the key words in a question as this will help you to link it to a topic or formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirraa)
    i managed to miss most of my mocks and was ill during my english ones... so i did awfully but trust me dont rely on the mock results! if anything look a them and revise and parctice even harder to prove them wrong
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely flopped english :bawling::bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    No problem, maths can be really tricky. I would practice using the different equations until you're more comfortable, spend time learning facts that will help you solve problems e.g. angles and shapes, practising harder problems will make you more confident at approaching problems and you'll start to see patterns in the questions. It can be good to highlight the key words in a question as this will help you to link it to a topic or formula
    wow didn't think of that thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostplot)
    i absolutely flopped english :bawling::bawling:
    what did you get

ReputationRep:
    Maths is quite easy to improve on if you practice! Try loads of questions and make sure you mark and correct them so you know how to answer the question if it pops up in the future. I moved from a D and the start of Year 11 to an A for my real GCSE.

For English, know how you need to structure your answers and what gets top marks. Know the books inside out and re read loads of times - I only read the book like once and kinda knew the plot line so I got a B in Lang at GCSE (my only B, the rest were As/A*s!). I know your course is new so maybe this won't apply to you but go through the examiners reports if you can (but I doubt they have them for your course) and see what model answers look like.

Good luck, and you have LOADS of time. Trust me!

ReputationRep:
    what did you get
    D, the worst thing is i thought i did well and when i got the grade i was like :eek:...yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    Maths is quite easy to improve on if you practice! Try loads of questions and make sure you mark and correct them so you know how to answer the question if it pops up in the future. I moved from a D and the start of Year 11 to an A for my real GCSE.

For English, know how you need to structure your answers and what gets top marks. Know the books inside out and re read loads of times - I only read the book like once and kinda knew the plot line so I got a B in Lang at GCSE (my only B, the rest were As/A*s!). I know your course is new so maybe this won't apply to you but go through the examiners reports if you can (but I doubt they have them for your course) and see what model answers look like.

Good luck, and you have LOADS of time. Trust me!
    thank you so do i have to read all my three books and memorise them and including the poems.

ReputationRep:
    D, the worst thing is i thought i did well and when i got the grade i was like :eek:...yourself?
    i got a strong 4 which is terrible i was like omg

ReputationRep:
    In my mocks iirc I got something like 1A*, 2A, rest B's&C's and 2E's, actual GCSE's got 3A* 6B 2C which I was more than happy with given my mock grades, with both E's going up to B/C (honestly doubted getting a C in history as I forgot that the exam had two sections and only revised for one). Mock grades will almost always go up and I'm sure you'll do fine once there's the pressure of real exams coming up.

ReputationRep:
    i got a strong 4 which is terrible i was like omg
    high five gee - well you did get better...matching numbers and letters I'm assuming I'm either a 3 or low 4 for me
    we need to work hard for the real thing! :noway:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    In my mocks iirc I got something like 1A*, 2A, rest B's&C's and 2E's, actual GCSE's got 3A* 6B 2C which I was more than happy with given my mock grades, with both E's going up to B/C (honestly doubted getting a C in history as I forgot that the exam had two sections and only revised for one). Mock grades will almost always go up and I'm sure you'll do fine once there's the pressure of real exams coming up.
    WOW! Congratulations thats actually pretty amazing...any revision tips? When did you start revising for the finals...is 18 weeks enough!? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    I got grade 4 in English language. How to get it to 7-8?

ReputationRep:
    WOW! Congratulations thats actually pretty amazing...any revision tips? When did you start revising for the finals...is 18 weeks enough!? :unsure:
    18 weeks is way more than enough for GCSE if you focus on subjects you struggle with, I pretty much revised for each exam only in the upcoming week to it, except for physics,chemistry&maths (got A* in those), if you plan your time right you could easily get the grades you want in 18 weeks.

Even if things don't go too well in GCSE just prepare for AS as it's a pretty much a new start doing only subjects you enjoy, so I now do maths, further maths, physics&chemistry and got AAAA, predicted A*A*A*A* just because I enjoy my subjects and working for them doesn't feel boring like it was at GCSE for other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    18 weeks is way more than enough for GCSE if you focus on subjects you struggle with, I pretty much revised for each exam only in the upcoming week to it, except for physics,chemistry&maths (got A* in those), if you plan your time right you could easily get the grades you want in 18 weeks.

Even if things don't go too well in GCSE just prepare for AS as it's a pretty much a new start doing only subjects you enjoy, so I now do maths, further maths, physics&chemistry and got AAAA, predicted A*A*A*A* just because I enjoy my subjects and working for them doesn't feel boring like it was at GCSE for other subjects.
    Noted. Thank You! I think i can do this...gotta put my head down and start building up my revision

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.