Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a compSci student who started in September 2016 ask me anything

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm a computer science a level student, any tips on surviving it lol.
    I have a really crap teacher who literally tells us the topic of the day and expects us to go find out everything about it and doesn't really like tell us what we need to know of that topic and i've asked him to at least put questions up and we can go do some research and find the answers to them, that way we'll know what we need to know instead of finding useless information.
    I kind of have to teach myself, i reckon i could try and get through the theory myself and manage but the programming is the hardest for me. Any tips or advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minionzzz)
    Hey, i'm a computer science a level student, any tips on surviving it lol.
    I have a really crap teacher who literally tells us the topic of the day and expects us to go find out everything about it and doesn't really like tell us what we need to know of that topic and i've asked him to at least put questions up and we can go do some research and find the answers to them, that way we'll know what we need to know instead of finding useless information.
    I kind of have to teach myself, i reckon i could try and get through the theory myself and manage but the programming is the hardest for me. Any tips or advice?
    YouTube and code accadamey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    YouTube and code accadamey
    i use code academy, any specific youtubers?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, have you enjoyed the modules you've studied so far?

Also, is the maths easy or hard at Brunel?

ReputationRep:
    The modules are good in my opinion in the first year we are mixed with business computing students.

We have a module on business systems and creating systems for them
    The math is all based around logic this year and the 2 languages were Java and prolog

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/br...nel-university

ReputationRep:
    What subjects did you do at a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    What subjects did you do at a level?
    BTEC I got D*D*D*

ReputationRep:
    What are some of your revision techniques? or tips? i feel like i'm failing my computer science a levels.

ReputationRep:
    It may be a really weird question but how many girls are there? I'm going to study business computing but now i feel a bit scared that i'll be "that one who knows nothing" or "one and only girl" Im really interested in taking this course although i didnt have a chance to study this at school (there was no subjects like those), i think it wont be a problem?

ReputationRep:
    How is the course and what is it like?

Do you do stuff like programming in it? And the stuff, are they generally easier than they look? Just looking at it scares me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owain5)
    How is the course and what is it like?

Do you do stuff like programming in it? And the stuff, are they generally easier than they look? Just looking at it scares me
    I've found the course to be enjoyable as well

We program in java and prolog. And do t worry they teach you most of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olska)
    It may be a really weird question but how many girls are there? I'm going to study business computing but now i feel a bit scared that i'll be "that one who knows nothing" or "one and only girl" Im really interested in taking this course although i didnt have a chance to study this at school (there was no subjects like those), i think it wont be a problem?
    Upup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olska)
    There about 20-30 girls out of 240

ReputationRep:
    Any white girls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imdabestaround)
    Any white girls?
    Some

ReputationRep:
    There about 20-30 girls out of 240
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.