Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can someone help me with this problem? Watch

ReputationRep:
    okay. Basically I owed someone money because they bought something off of me which i couldnt give because i got scammed. I owed that person £295 and they thought that i had scammed them (which i hadn't). They told my bank barclays and then barclays closed my account and filed my name with an agency called cifas - as long as i have my name on cifas i cannot open a bank account. I have contacted cifas and they told me that i cannot have my name removed unless barclays does it. i have contacted barclays and they said that they cannot remove my name as they believe it was a right decision that they made. what do i do now? I have already refunded everyone. i need to keep this as descreet as possible so that my parents dont find out. Im 16 years old and this is really stressing me out and its making me feel very frustrated with my life, i need to open a bank account as soon as possible but first i need to remove my name from cifas. any ideas?

kind regards,
    Abdullah Siddique
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You say you got scammed? How so? If someone managed to hack into your bank account and steal the money off you then you should get in touch with Barclays ASAP to sort out the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddique123)
    okay. Basically I owed someone money because they bought something off of me which i couldnt give because i got scammed. I owed that person £295 and they thought that i had scammed them (which i hadn't). They told my bank barclays and then barclays closed my account and filed my name with an agency called cifas - as long as i have my name on cifas i cannot open a bank account. I have contacted cifas and they told me that i cannot have my name removed unless barclays does it. i have contacted barclays and they said that they cannot remove my name as they believe it was a right decision that they made. what do i do now? i need to keep this as descreet as possible so that my parents dont find out. Im 16 years old and this is really stressing me out and its making me feel very frustrated with my life, i need to open a bank account as soon as possible but first i need to remove my name from cifas. any ideas?

kind regards,
    Abdullah Siddique
    Claiming that you yourself is a victim is no defence against stealing (or at the very least refusing to return) someone's money after they have paid you for a product or service that you do not have to sell.

You need to make restitution with the victim and your bank (ie; return the money, consider compensation) and hope they don't press charges.

If you are genuinely a victim in all of this you need to inform the necessary authorities to try to get your own money back.

ReputationRep:
    I have paid everyone back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Claiming that you yourself is a victim is no defence against stealing (or at the very least refusing to return) someone's money after they have paid you for a product or service that you do not have to sell.

You need to make restitution with the victim and your bank (ie; return the money, consider compensation) and hope they don't press charges.

If you are genuinely a victim in all of this you need to inform the necessary authorities to try to get your own money back.
    I have already paid everyone back their money.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about this process so can't help in great detail. The only thing I would suggest is to see your bank again and ask what steps you can take to get your name off the list. Surely there would be something to show you have reconciled the debt - otherwise people would stay on the list for life never having a bank account and this is not something I've ever heard of (although that doesn't prove anything, just think if it was a big thing people would know). I know you don't want to tell your parents but maybe it's for the best - reconciling to the bank might rely on them as they can act as a financial guarantor, and they will also be able to support you in the process and in fighting against the bank's decision as you are not a legal adult yet which makes you more vulnerable to being taken advantage of.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. Ive managed to get my name of the list and also applied for lloyds bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddique123)
    Thanks for your reply. Ive managed to get my name of the list and also applied for lloyds bank.
    How did you get your name of the list?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I told barclays i paid the person full refund. The person confirmed i did and that they were mistaken in thinking i scammed them. Barclays removed it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.