Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Running a website Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How much would it cost to run a small online business website, taking all costs into account lets say per month or annually?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the type of site.
    Some sites require domain costs + server costs, etc...
    Some hosts give you some space too,
    If you want, you can use wordpress, wix, weebly, etc for your site too.

ReputationRep:
    Really depends what you are doing. You can start a Wordpress site for free and have minimal or no costs. You can also pay to use Wordpress, pay for your own hosting and domain and still pay under £100 per year (this is what I do at the moment). Likewise you can pay for more expensive packages.

Really it can cost whatever you want it to cost. Anything from free upwards. And everything can be done yourself.

ReputationRep:
    $5 will do monthly with digitalocean, you can upgrade it anytime to make it more scalable. I've been hosting my site there for a year and I don't encounter any problem.

ReputationRep:
    When I was launching my online shop, I paid for a premium wordpress ecommerce theme and no more expenses at all. I used free Godaddy hosting plan, but started considering upgrading to a paid one. So running a eCommere is not that expensively.

ReputationRep:
    If you have an e-commerce website that's set up to take card payments (which most are, by their very nature) then they have to be PCI DSS compliant, which rules out the DIY route.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    How much would it cost to run a small online business website, taking all costs into account lets say per month or annually?
    If it's helpful, TSR is about to launch an amazing competition where you can set up a website for free and potentially win a macbook. It's literally launching this afternoon, so I'll send you through the link once it's up!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    Hey again!

So this is the main competition page: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...-a-MacBook-Air

And this is the explanation of what you'd need to do: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4617490

Go forth and website!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlinkyBill)
    If it's helpful, TSR is about to launch an amazing competition where you can set up a website for free and potentially win a macbook. It's literally launching this afternoon, so I'll send you through the link once it's up!
    What if you're a professional web developer? Does that still count?

I want to learn a totally new language - can I submit under that premise?

(Yes, I'm 18)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesleigh)
    What if you're a professional web developer? Does that still count?

I want to learn a totally new language - can I submit under that premise?

(Yes, I'm 18)
    Hi!
    Yes! You can definitely enter as a pro web developer. The competition isn't about the site you build, it's about the blog you keep on TSR. Think along the lines of how frequently you post, what you talk about, and the information you share.

A language learning site is a great idea!

BB

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you're hosting. I have a $5/mo server that can run hundreds of sites at once (most are static sites though with little traffic).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    which rules out the DIY route.
    I know this was a week ago (I don't check this section all that often!) but, why so?

Compliance with the spec is pretty easy (it's just things like maintaining secure passwords, that sort of thing) but it's rare for websites to deal with card data locally these days anyway; it's usually always all handled by a third party payment gateway (SagePay, Stripe, PayPal, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    I know this was a week ago (I don't check this section all that often!) but, why so?

Compliance with the spec is pretty easy (it's just things like maintaining secure passwords, that sort of thing) but it's rare for websites to deal with card data locally these days anyway; it's usually always all handled by a third party payment gateway (SagePay, Stripe, PayPal, etc.)
    Because regardless of whether you are actually handling the card data or not you can still be held liable if a breach occurs, and thus are still required to meet all of the points on the compliance structure. It's not scalable under any circumstances for a DIY user with limited experience to do on their own, and it certainly can't be done sufficiently on the cheap.

At a previous employer, just having the systems in place to meet the compliance regs were an asset expenditure running into the thousands of pounds per month. That was for a mid-tier independent with a few thousand transactions made per month. Then you have all other systems expenditure on top and it immediately becomes a case of having to turn over in excess of 5 digits yearly to break even on those resources alone.

This is partly why the general recommendation for small operations is to not use any form of direct card processing platforms at all, but to opt with services which offer complete hands off transaction management.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.