Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! This is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right 😅

So basically I'm currently in year 10 so maybe it's too early to be thinking of university, but I know I definitely want to go to an American one and from what I've read they look at what you've done for the 4 years of high school.

GCSE PREDICTED GRADES:
    - (9-1 grade system) three 9s and seven 8s which is 10 A*s on the old scale

I go to a selective grammar school and rank 2nd out of 84

SATs:
    I haven't done the SAT yet but I reckon I could get 1500+ if I tried really hard and I plan on taking Math II, Chemistry, Biology and French SAT Subject tests because their my strongest GCSEs.

^^ sorry if I sound snobby 😁

I would like to think that I would have a shot at some of the elite-schools like the Ivies, MIT and Stanford but from the research I've done they like strong extracurriculars and mine are pretty weak:

- Karate: but I quit after getting my black belt
    - St John's Ambulance Cadet
    - Elected Student Council member every year so far
    - Saxophone (but only grade 3 and my school doesn't have an orchestra)
    - DofE: got bronze gonna do it up till gold

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ECs (I'm thinking about pre-med or business at college so stuff based around that would be great but I really appreciate anything) I could do that would stand out to the college admissions team and any other general advice. I don't really have any interests, so anything works pretty much. I tried college confidential but most of the stuff there is aimed at US students.

Also does anyone know any competitions or internships or research opportunities that are out there?

I was also wondering if there are any others out there in the same boat as I am

Thanks for reading this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple_whale)
    Hi! This is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right 😅

So basically I'm currently in year 10 so maybe it's too early to be thinking of university, but I know I definitely want to go to an American one and from what I've read they look at what you've done for the 4 years of high school.

GCSE PREDICTED GRADES:
    - (9-1 grade system) three 9s and seven 8s which is 10 A*s on the old scale

I go to a selective grammar school and rank 2nd out of 84

SATs:
    I haven't done the SAT yet but I reckon I could get 1500+ if I tried really hard and I plan on taking Math II, Chemistry, Biology and French SAT Subject tests because their my strongest GCSEs.

^^ sorry if I sound snobby 😁

I would like to think that I would have a shot at some of the elite-schools like the Ivies, MIT and Stanford but from the research I've done they like strong extracurriculars and mine are pretty weak:

- Karate: but I quit after getting my black belt
    - St John's Ambulance Cadet
    - Elected Student Council member every year so far
    - Saxophone (but only grade 3 and my school doesn't have an orchestra)
    - DofE: got bronze gonna do it up till gold

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ECs (I'm thinking about pre-med or business at college so stuff based around that would be great but I really appreciate anything) I could do that would stand out to the college admissions team and any other general advice. I don't really have any interests, so anything works pretty much. I tried college confidential but most of the stuff there is aimed at US students.

Also does anyone know any competitions or internships or research opportunities that are out there?

I was also wondering if there are any others out there in the same boat as I am

Thanks for reading this!
    With your grades, I presume you will be looking to the ivy league.

The major thing you will need to do is boost your extra curriculars, as while good, there are thousands of other students of your calibre applying to the top US unis.
    The competitiveness of the US is far beyond what we can even fathom here in the UK.

Think about expanding your CV in the subjects that interest you. Attend lectures, do independent research, enter competitions, write a paper, start a club. It's referred to creating a "spike" in your application, rather than say well roundedness.

Secondly, you need something that will make you really stand out. Try and do something that no other applicant will have done. I'm not saying start your own charity in Africa or cure cancer, but you need something that will make you application that bit more memorable.

Unfortunately, I can't shape your interests for you - so use google and find something that interests you, and expand from that

ReputationRep:
    In my honest opinion, you can make your ECs seem outstanding if you can write your essays very well. The trick is to try and find ECs that rank.

E.g. If you do karate, try and get into a competition and rank (not necessarily nationally but maybe regionally).
    If you're a cadet, in not familiar with the system but there must be levels/rankings you can climb up like CCF.
    Student Council is a good one; try and implement a change in your school that is personal to you and shows you are a leader who wants to inspire change - something as simple as 'I didn't like the way X happened in school do I did Y.'

If you're doing MIT then I'm assuming you're doing somethings sciencey. Internships, research, work experiences are great (even better if they are selective placements).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berob)
    With your grades, I presume you will be looking to the ivy league.

The major thing you will need to do is boost your extra curriculars, as while good, there are thousands of other students of your calibre applying to the top US unis.
    The competitiveness of the US is far beyond what we can even fathom here in the UK.

Think about expanding your CV in the subjects that interest you. Attend lectures, do independent research, enter competitions, write a paper, start a club. It's referred to creating a "spike" in your application, rather than say well roundedness.

Secondly, you need something that will make you really stand out. Try and do something that no other applicant will have done. I'm not saying start your own charity in Africa or cure cancer, but you need something that will make you application that bit more memorable.

Unfortunately, I can't shape your interests for you - so use google and find something that interests you, and expand from that
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to google some medical and science-based lectures in my region, and perhaps in a few months look into writing a research paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknowntsr)
    In my honest opinion, you can make your ECs seem outstanding if you can write your essays very well. The trick is to try and find ECs that rank.

E.g. If you do karate, try and get into a competition and rank (not necessarily nationally but maybe regionally).
    If you're a cadet, in not familiar with the system but there must be levels/rankings you can climb up like CCF.
    Student Council is a good one; try and implement a change in your school that is personal to you and shows you are a leader who wants to inspire change - something as simple as 'I didn't like the way X happened in school do I did Y.'

If you're doing MIT then I'm assuming you're doing somethings sciencey. Internships, research, work experiences are great (even better if they are selective placements).
    Thanks for replying! I understand what you mean about developing my ECs and I'm going to take the advice on board

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.