Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do job references say the reason why person left the job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When a previous employer writes a job reference for you, do most of them have to write the reason why you left the job?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    When a previous employer writes a job reference for you, do most of them have to write the reason why you left the job?
    It depends why you left the job! A referee has a legal obligation to be honest and the point of giving a reference is to give your professional opinion as to the competency of the subject of the reference. So if an employee left their job because they were persistently late, or useless at their job, then the employer has a legal obligation, by virtue of honesty, to say so. However, if the reason the person left the job was irrelevant to their performance or competency, ie they wanted more responsibility, the buses changed and they couldn't get in etc, then it almost certainly won't be mentioned.

Some employers won't give proper references and will simply confirm the dates of employment, the job title, and confirm that there were no disciplinary issues (or that there were).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It depends why you left the job! A referee has a legal obligation to be honest and the point of giving a reference is to give your professional opinion as to the competency of the subject of the reference. So if an employee left their job because they were persistently late, or useless at their job, then the employer has a legal obligation, by virtue of honesty, to say so. However, if the reason the person left the job was irrelevant to their performance or competency, ie they wanted more responsibility, the buses changed and they couldn't get in etc, then it almost certainly won't be mentioned.

Some employers won't give proper references and will simply confirm the dates of employment, the job title, and confirm that there were no disciplinary issues (or that there were).
    Is it normal for companies to request for the previous employer to say why they left the job on the reference though?
    I ask as my previous boss decided not to take me on after probation, but he said he'd give me a good reference. I'm just wondering if he will have to state the reason why I left.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    Is it normal for companies to request for the previous employer to say why they left the job on the reference though?
    I ask as my previous boss decided not to take me on after probation, but he said he'd give me a good reference. I'm just wondering if he will have to state the reason why I left.
    There's no way of knowing - that's partly why references work, they keep the applicant honest through the process. The company might have a form to fill in that asks very specific questions, or they might just ask 'for a reference' and take what they get. They might phone and just have a chat, they might phone and ask further questions after getting a written reference. There's just no way of knowing, which is why it's always best to tell the truth if asked and be prepared to put an honest but positive light on any bad points, if they are uncovered.

Why you left is a common enough question though, because the whole point of a reference is to double check you are taking on a decent worker and haven't been dazzled by application and interview techniques. You can't do anything about it now though, other than put a positive spin on it if your new employer does find out and ask you about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.